Start by marking “Selections from Dreamsongs 3: Selections from Wild Cards and More Stories from Martin's Later Years: Unabridged Selections ” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  47 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, #1 New York Times bestselling author George R. R. Martin is a giant in the field of fantasy literature and one of the most exciting storytellers of our time. Now he delivers a rare treat for listeners: a compendium of his shorter works, collected into three stunning volumes, that offers fascinating insight into his journey fr ...more
Audio CD
Published November 27th 2007 by Random House Audio (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Selections from Dreamsongs 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selections from Dreamsongs 3

Alex
Sep 25, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Apparently, audiobook only includes the intro to Section 7. I may have to dig up the paper copy to get these two stories. Also, I have decided that the opening essays at the beginning of each of these sections comprise exactly the sort of autobiography of GRR Martin that I want. I have enjoyed many of the essays more than the following stories.

SHELL GAMES, the first story in Section 8: Doing the Wild Card Shuffle, made me definitely interested in checking out the Wild Cards series. However the s
Geoff
Jan 03, 2017 Geoff rated it really liked it
This is a selection of stories read by various authors, based off The Dreamsongs collection. George R. R. Martin provides three sections of commentary for each of the three sections. In fact the first section, which is teleplays in the paper collection, is just commentary by Martin for about 30 minutes. He also adds some commentary on the section Doing the Wild Card Shuffle and The Heart in Conflict. The last one isn't that exciting but the first commentary talks all about his Wild card antholog ...more
Jesse Whitehead
Jul 10, 2012 Jesse Whitehead rated it liked it
This is the third and final volume of Martin’s collection of short stories. I found these later stories much less intriguing.

George R. R. Martin is a wizard of character. He can write any story in any setting and the reader feels almost instantly like he knows and understands the people. The emotions and thoughts and actions are real to a point that is rare in any fiction.

Many of these stories just didn’t work for me. The characters are there, just as powerfully as ever but some of them just are
Edward
May 16, 2010 Edward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
When I discovered there was a Dreamsongs 3, I downloaded and listened to it. Ah, something to tide me over until the next Song of Ice and Fire. The stories seemed awfully familiar so I checked the net to find out which stories were in which of the audiobooks.

I found John Joseph Adams's posts on Amazon to be the most helpful. His lists proved to me there were no duplicate stories in the 3 audios.

How come Dreamsongs 3 was so familiar? Because I had read the stories in Dreamsongs 2, the book! 2 b
Janet
Dec 20, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Listened to this on my work commute. The first section is for Martin's fans, a discussion of his life as s screenwriter. Then an assortment of stories and novellas. I really enjoyed the werewolf mystery, and the final story of an author who is visited by his characters. Of all the stories, The Hedge Knight really stood out, and the reader was perfect for it.
Kari
Apr 30, 2011 Kari rated it really liked it
Some stories are great, some are not so hot; of the former I most liked The Skin Trade and Unsound Variations. The latter category more or less encompasses the stories that take place in a world more fully developed elsewhere, Wild Cards and Song of Ice and Fire. Too many laundry lists of characters. RR can write a great story when he wants to, though.
Carol Waters
Aug 13, 2013 Carol Waters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough good things about this man's writing. Depth of character, background, storyline...he hits the mark every time. Loved the hedgenight prequel, and Portraits of His Children was worthy of his old venue, The Twilight Zone, with or without Rob (what was his name?) Sterling. Narratives by George added immensely.
William Fuentes
Oct 13, 2012 William Fuentes rated it liked it
This was an up and down audio selection. The Hedge Knight of course rules. I also liked the Skin Trade narrated by Claudia Black and a male person. They would each narrate a POV. Also the Glass Flower was awesome as well. Under Seige ruled also. There ya go that is all I got!
John
Aug 23, 2013 John rated it really liked it
nice collection of shorts. Always wanted to read a Wild Cards story, and found it to be a good one. Also like the short bio in there by Martin about his Hollywood experiences.
Rebecca Sizemore
Rebecca Sizemore rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Angel McCoy
Angel McCoy rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Michelle Partidge
Michelle Partidge rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Ogbebaba
Ogbebaba rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
John Jennings
John Jennings rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2010
Jason Kurtz
Jason Kurtz rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Garett
Garett rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2008
Dan Sapp
Dan Sapp rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Stephen Brown
Stephen Brown rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Tommy West
Tommy West rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2015
Patrick Roy
Patrick Roy rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2011
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Brian Fortier
Brian Fortier rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Benton Seay
Benton Seay rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Joselyn
Joselyn rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...