Start by marking “All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman” as Want to Read:
All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman

All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Award winning actor Clifton Davis reads the newest collection of stories by John Edgar Wideman, who has been called "the most gifted black novelist of his generation." In stories like All Stories Are True, Back Seat, and A Voice Foretold, Wideman depicts life in urban black America--a youth's first sexual experience, visiting a son or a brother in prison, or the thoughts o ...more
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about All Stories Are True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Stories Are True

Steven
Jul 13, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
With Wideman words are atom bombs. So cross the threshold of his stories at your own risk. The language is unique, demanding engagement, no, capitulation. You must surrender to his words, his style, or remain lost in the prose. Engage, though, and it’s hammer blows.

Ten stories in this collection, excepted from The Stories of John Edgar Wideman, so if you have that one . . . Some notes. “Welcome” is a story dense and drenched with emotion about loss and grieving and coming home for christmas that
Shawn
Dec 07, 2011 Shawn rated it really liked it
I struggled a bit trying to decide between a rating of three stars or four. I settled on 4 because this author is clearly a gifted writer, and for the most part these were fairly powerful stories. The struggle came because after the third or fourth story, they all started to feel the same. I had a hard time distinquishing one from the other, a continuous run-on narrative. The title story, "All Stories Are True", was well done. "Everybody Knew Bubba" was a brilliant piece, as were "A Voice Foreto ...more
Kris V. Bernard
"Welcome" is one of the most haunting stories I've ever read.
The image of a young father and his son standing out in the cold, watched from inside a warm car...I cried in the best way many times reading Wideman's prose for the first time. Because I remember what it's like to stand out in the cold, hoping someone will share their warmth with me.

Powerful words in a humble volume.
Staceyb
Feb 02, 2011 Staceyb is currently reading it
Wideman is one of my favorite authors of all time. I am currently discussing his short story "All Stories Are True" with my undergraduate Intro to Lit class.
Jeremiah
The short story "casa grande" pretty much epitomizes everything I love about reading Wideman. When he's on his game, he's wonderful.
Alex
Dec 27, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agt-library
A striking and well-crafted compendium of stories that stand out as studies of the African American condition.
Jared
Jun 04, 2008 Jared rated it it was amazing
it's too bad this guy's still so unknown. "everybody knew bubba riff" is incredible.
Vaughnda Johnson
Read half. Very challenging but brilliant stream of consciousness writing. Bubba Spark was amazing but in the end just a little too intense and not enough levity for me.
Elise Dunn
Elise Dunn marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Petal Seraphia
Petal Seraphia marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Tom Ashworth
Tom Ashworth marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Sang
Sang rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Leeann
Leeann marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Nirmala Vasigaren
Nirmala Vasigaren marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Freda Mitchell
Freda Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Kierstin Thompson
Kierstin Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Dyllan Mathurin
Dyllan Mathurin marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
YostModern
YostModern marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Andy Mckinney
Andy Mckinney marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Patrick Dacey
Patrick Dacey rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Babita Mehra
Babita Mehra marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20703
A widely-celebrated writer and the winner of many literary awards, he is the first to win the International PEN/Faulkner Award twice: in 1984 for Sent for You Yesterday and in 1990 for Philadelphia Fire. In 2000 he won the O. Henry Award for his short story "Weight", published in The Callaloo Journal.

In March, 2010, he self-published "Briefs," a new collection of microstories, on Lulu.com. Stories
More about John Edgar Wideman...