Start by marking “All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman” as Want to Read:
All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman

All Stories Are True: The Stories Of John Edgar Wideman

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Award winning actor Clifton Davis reads the newest collection of stories by John Edgar Wideman, who has been called "the most gifted black novelist of his generation." In stories like All Stories Are True, Back Seat, and A Voice Foretold, Wideman depicts life in urban black America--a youth's first sexual experience, visiting a son or a brother in prison, or the thoughts o...more
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about All Stories Are True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Stories Are True

Shawn
I struggled a bit trying to decide between a rating of three stars or four. I settled on 4 because this author is clearly a gifted writer, and for the most part these were fairly powerful stories. The struggle came because after the third or fourth story, they all started to feel the same. I had a hard time distinquishing one from the other, a continuous run-on narrative. The title story, "All Stories Are True", was well done. "Everybody Knew Bubba" was a brilliant piece, as were "A Voice Foreto...more
Steven
With Wideman words are atom bombs. So cross the threshold of his stories at your own risk. The language is unique, demanding engagement, no, capitulation. You must surrender to his words, his style, or remain lost in the prose. Engage, though, and it’s hammer blows.

Ten stories in this collection, excepted from The Stories of John Edgar Wideman, so if you have that one . . . Some notes. “Welcome” is a story dense and drenched with emotion about loss and grieving and coming home for christmas that...more
Kris V. Bernard
"Welcome" is one of the most haunting stories I've ever read.
The image of a young father and his son standing out in the cold, watched from inside a warm car...I cried in the best way many times reading Wideman's prose for the first time. Because I remember what it's like to stand out in the cold, hoping someone will share their warmth with me.

Powerful words in a humble volume.
Vaughnda Johnson
Read half. Very challenging but brilliant stream of consciousness writing. Bubba Spark was amazing but in the end just a little too intense and not enough levity for me.
Staceyb
Feb 02, 2011 Staceyb is currently reading it
Wideman is one of my favorite authors of all time. I am currently discussing his short story "All Stories Are True" with my undergraduate Intro to Lit class.
Jeremiah
The short story "casa grande" pretty much epitomizes everything I love about reading Wideman. When he's on his game, he's wonderful.
Jared
it's too bad this guy's still so unknown. "everybody knew bubba riff" is incredible.
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Tiffany FitzGerald
Tiffany FitzGerald marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Haley Diamond
Haley Diamond marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Milly
Milly marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jamie Dougherty
Jamie Dougherty marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tj Weaver
Tj Weaver marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
John Hanson
John Hanson marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Nute
Nute marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Ja-Zette
Ja-Zette marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
20703
A widely-celebrated writer and the winner of many literary awards, he is the first to win the International PEN/Faulkner Award twice: in 1984 for Sent for You Yesterday and in 1990 for Philadelphia Fire. In 2000 he won the O. Henry Award for his short story "Weight", published in The Callaloo Journal.

In March, 2010, he self-published "Briefs," a new collection of microstories, on Lulu.com. Stories...more
More about John Edgar Wideman...
Brothers and Keepers: A Memoir Philadelphia Fire Sent for You Yesterday Damballah The Cattle Killing