Start by marking “Classic G.I. Joe, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Classic G.I. Joe, Volume 1

Classic G.I. Joe, Volume 1 (Classic G.I. Joe #1)

Reacquaint yourself with Hawk, Scarlett, Stalker, Rock 'n Roll and the other original Joes, including the popular but enigmatic Snake Eyes. Witness the first daring attempts of the villainous Cobra Commander and his minions to cause havoc around the world, only to have the Joes thwarting them at every turn. Relive your first tours of 'The Pit', G.I. Joe's command center, a ...more
Published January 15th 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Classic G.I. Joe, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic G.I. Joe, Volume 1

Greg Strandberg
You really can't beat these early Larry Hama issues. This book collects them all just like in the comics, but with better quality images and fewer opportunities for the pages to tear. The stories are great, and I got volume 2. Even my 3-year-old son likes them, much to the chagrin of his mother.
Erick Petersen
Feb 23, 2009 Erick Petersen rated it really liked it
First time reading a "graphic novel" and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up in the 80's collecting the action figures and toys and watching the TV cartoon. The comic series, scripted by Larry Hama, is far superior to the TV cartoon series. For those who remember the action figures Hama was the one responsible for writing the dossiers on the file cards on the back of the packaging. What is so amazing about both the file cards and the comic is that he was given the task of writing ...more
Heather
Jun 14, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting reading the comics after watching the cartoon. There were a few characters I recognized, but I missed some of my favorites. As with the cartoons, there was drama, action, and humor. I enjoyed reading them and meeting new faces and seeing what shenanigans Cobra would get up to. I still prefer the cartoon though.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2016 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty surprised by this, it was fun! It felt like an action movie, and it was easy to read. A bit text heavy at times, and pretty repetitive (good old Cobra strikes again!) but otherwise fun. The art was nothing to write home about, and all three women in the comic looked really similar. Scarlett kicks butt though! :)
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that this was my first exposure to G.I. Joe comics. I collected a few figurines when I was a kid, but only recently have developed some interest in graphic novels. I figured this re-release of the original G.I. Joe comics would be a great place to start, and I'm glad I did. Reading these old issues helped me establish a reference point with which to judge newer comics and reveals just how far the whole genre has come in the last 25 years.

That's not to say that I think newe
The_Mad_Swede
Apr 09, 2009 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2009, idw
IDW, who now holds the comics license to Hasboro's G.I. Joe franchise, has wisely opted for putting out the somewhat classic Marvel series from the early 80s and onwards for 155 issues (presumably 16 volumes in total if IDW goes the whole way and keeps to the 10 issues per volume format) in reprint TPBs, fittingly entitled Classic G.I. Joe. Now I have vague memories of reading at least some of the G.I. Joe comics in Swedish translation as a kid, and I've always heard good stuff about Larry Hama' ...more
Willow Redd
Dec 23, 2013 Willow Redd rated it it was amazing
Here we have IDW's collection of the original Marvel Comics G.I. Joe series. I remember the first time I read some of these comics growing up and realizing how much better the writing was. The Joe team was much more clearly defined, their base was secret instead of some giant armored compound in the middle of a giant open space, and the missions were much more grounded in reality than most of the cartoon stories. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the cartoon as well, but these comic stories were wo ...more
Aaron Kleinheksel
OK, this got 5 stars partly because of the ride it gave me down memory lane. I read all these issues of G.I. Joe for the first time when I was 8 or 9 years old when they were originally published. That was not the only reason they earn 5 stars, however.

It was interesting to read them again so many years later and realize with some amusement that much of my cynicism towards government and also interest in world politics and geography was, at least to some degree, influenced by Larry Hama's G.I. J
John Lamberth
I had recently been getting the itch to go back an reread the entire original Marvel G.I. Joe series (which I own in TPBs). I didn't originally start reading GIJ with any regularity until about issue #40 and picked up the older issues sporadically so my memory of the early issues is kinda cloudy.
The first ten issues (collected here) are really nothing spectacular. The first nine issues really read like a typical war comic except for the weirdo villains in costumes. Issues six and seven introduce
Craig Tyler
Oct 12, 2010 Craig Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks
This is a reprint (in color) of the first 10 issues of G.I. Joe : A Real American Hero the comicbook. The comic invented by Hasbro but executed by Marvel. What can I say, the intent here is to include the toys available at the time, and since the first year of toys only included 3 vehicles and a few towed weapons, the writers took liberties by inventing quite a few. (Think Steranko or Kirby a la Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD). The stories are good, the art is okay and the coloring is 80's. The team ...more
Brian
Dec 31, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes when you want a little mindless entertainment, it's fun to go back an read some of the classic comics you grew up with. Such is the case with the G.I. Joe classic collections. It's fun to remember that six "American Hero's" can take on a full army of highly motivated and trained terrorists from Cobra with out getting a scratch. Sure, some of the stories are over the top. And with the first collection, you don't get the depth of characters that you'll see in later collections. But it's ...more
Pranay
Nov 21, 2015 Pranay rated it really liked it
Really well written!!!

Larry Hama and the other writers do a damn good job of writing exciting plots to keep the readers hooked. It is interesting to note that earlier there was no Duke or Flint as the lead and Hawk was their main protagonist. Stalker who is also referred as 'Ranger' has a good role in a couple of stories. Gung Ho makes his first and only appearance in a short panel. The origin of Snake eyes is revealed in the last story indirectly when he is captured and his mind is being read t
Doyle
Apr 25, 2014 Doyle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 80s-cartoons
I picked this up because the recent GI Joe themed episode of Community had me Jonesin' for more Joe. This book pinged my deep-seated love for the 80's cartoon, which is exactly what I wanted it to do and all I expected of it, but there's no dancing around it. This isn't very good compared to modern comics standards. I've never been a fan of Herb Trimpe's art, and try as he might Larry Hama still had to name drop vehicles left and right due to the licensing deal Marvel had with Hasbro when these ...more
Shannon Haddock
May 09, 2014 Shannon Haddock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection is not quite as good as later Joe comics penned by Larry Hama. There are some bits where it's clear he's still trying to get a feel for the characters and setting. And the two non-Hama written issues in it are almost cartoon levels of cheesy. So maybe this should only really be about 4.5 stars, but it's still got the wonderful, real feeling dialogue between characters; ways of touching on important issues without smacking you in the face with them (much); and slight touches of hu ...more
Jdetrick
I am an unabashed fan of the original GIJoe series from marvel, and they still hold up for me. These issues are great, as the cast is still small at this point, and some of the issues don't even have Cobra in them. Larry Hama doesn't really start the continuity until the last issue in the collection, and he only co writes or has guest writers for many of these issues. Herb Trimpe does some of my favorite art of his in some of these stories, and also writes or co writes quite a few of them. A lit ...more
Ryan
Dec 27, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to go back and read these issues. Loved them as a kid--one of my favorite comics when I was 11-12. Stories are pretty good and lay a nice foundation for what is to come. The artwork is all over the place--some good, some bad with a variety of artists working on different issues. As with many of my childhood favorites (cartoons and comics especially), the memories are usually better than the real thing.
Matt
Feb 05, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-i-joe
So I've always heard that the GI Joe comics are far better than anybody has any right to believe...but I never thought they'd be THAT much better. There are some great situations that the various team members get thrown in here, situations that are basically the writer one-upping himself constantly: "Okay, so this is the trap they're thrown in, how do I get them out of this one?" Things like that. And it's a lot of fun. Totally worth the read.
Mike
Jul 21, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's been years since I've read any of the original Joe series and it was great getting to revisit this little piece of my childhood. The 10 issues in this collection were all very well written in my opinion, and I was really surprised at how different they were compared to the animated series. I highly recommend this collection.
Don
Jan 13, 2015 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The toys, the cartoon, the comics.... I was loving the nostalgia when reading this. I think the story actually started to take off a bit more after issue ten. Once everyone was introduced (including the vehicles) the characters could start to have more history and personality. It was a bit campy, but tons of fun. I will definitely be reading the rest of these.
Greg Strandberg
Larry Hama really set the tone for a lot of the G.I. Joe stuff we know today. It was great going back and reading these old comics again, and it brought back memories of reading them in school.

Writing the Kindle Worlds G.I. Joe stories reminded me how great these characters were originally written. Thanks Larry for doing such a great job!
Chad
Jan 07, 2014 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this purely for nostalgia, because I grew up reading Hama's G.I Joe comics. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much these stories held up over time. The writing is well done and the art is top notch, even if it's more of the "80s style" art form. Love it and can't wait to buy the next volume.
John
Aug 19, 2013 John added it
Loved this nostalgic quick read. I thought of this when I saw Larry Hama credited on a MASH rerun. It's interesting to read about the earliest GI Joe team, before the cartoon series, before Duke, Zartan, Serpentor, or even Destro. I also have a healthy fear of soap-selling pyramid schemes now, knowing how COBRA infiltrated Springfield. Speaking of Springfield, the Simpsons anyone?
Dan
Dec 06, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shut up, the Joes fuckin' rule. Larry Hama is a true genius--not everyone can base a riveting, complex, and surprisingly plausible storyline on a bunch of neon-colored plastic toys, throw in some post-Vietnam US-Russian relations, ancient Ninja mysticism, and the dark side of American capitalism and actually make the damn thing work. Let alone keep it going for 150-some-odd issues.
Ben
Oct 06, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmmm...nostalgia. I would say this holds up relatively well, given that it was written in the early 80's and based on a toy line, but really, the truth is G.I. Joe was the first comic I started reading regularly and there's still a fondness in my heart for it.

Or maybe it's just a reflection of my continuing lack of maturity.
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Nov 01, 2011 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, idw

G.I. Joe were some of the very first comics I ever read. It was the Joe's that started me off on my wonderful adventure and love for comics.

To this very day (years and years later) I still follow G.I. Joe and look forward to every single new issue.

YO JOE!!
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent blend of the comic superhero style storytelling and a military war comics. Huge cast of characters and a great evil villain and organization balances the series well. Very recommended.
William Quest
Jun 14, 2014 William Quest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphic-novel
It was fun re-reading these first 10 issues. It always makes me chuckle at how many mistakes in the names and costumes of the characters they had in the beginning.
Steve Long
Apr 22, 2013 Steve Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Great collection. I used to read the G.I. Joe comics as a kid when they were originally published. This one is a collection of issues #1-#10.
Tuathane
Plain old nostalgia. A guilty pleasure, at best. The writing now is transparent as product placement, but it did the job well, to a whole generation of boys.
Brent
Jul 29, 2008 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a compelling story full of fun and adventure.
Shelves: gi-joe
Don't let the 80's cartoon fool you, this is the G.I. Joe story. Thank you Larry Hama (the writer of almost all 155 issues).
  • Wolverine: Origins, Volume 7: Romulus
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 3
  • X-Men: The Asgardian Wars
  • NYX: No Way Home
  • The Darkness Compendium, Vol. 1
  • Transformers: All Hail Megatron, Volume 2
  • Thief of Thieves, Vol. 2, "Help Me"
  • Spider-Man: Torment
  • The Life and Death of Captain Marvel
  • G.I. Joe: Tales From The Cobra Wars
  • H.P. Lovecraft's the Dunwich Horror
  • New Avengers, Volume 4: Perfect World
  • Taskmaster: Unthinkable
  • X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2 (New Edition)
  • Logan (Wolverine)
  • Daredevil, Volume 7
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 3
Larry Hama is an American writer, artist, actor and musician who has worked in the fields of entertainment and publishing since the 1960s.

During the 1970s, he was seen in minor roles on the TV shows M*A*S*H and Saturday Night Live, and appeared on Broadway in two roles in the original 1976 production of Stephen Sondheim's Pacific Overtures.

He is best known to American comic book readers as a write
More about Larry Hama...

Classic G.I. Joe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Volume 2