Start by marking “Lucy Gets Her Life Back” as Want to Read:
Lucy Gets Her Life Back

Lucy Gets Her Life Back (Single Moms, Second Chances #2)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Red Duck, Idaho, may be just a speck on the map, but it's perfect for a hardworking single mom looking for a good place to start over. Arriving with recipes, ambition, a silent prayer and two teenage boys, Lucy Carpenter is ready to cook her way into the hearts and wallets of celebrities who frequent the nearby ski resort and watering holes. But she needs somebody to put t ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Gets Her Life Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Gets Her Life Back

Ruthie Taylor
Oct 17, 2014 Ruthie Taylor rated it really liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

This feel good, gentle romance is a lovely relaxing read. It introduces us to a lot of characters, and whilst the leads are front and centre, there are some enjoyable side stories too. Spin and Jacqui are particularly noteworthy.

In my opinion, stories involving food / chefs and so on, are usually winners. If an author can express well the feelings that good food invokes, then they are already a step ahead. Ms Holm clearly
Jacki
Oct 17, 2014 Jacki rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Wicked Reads.

Lucy gets her life back is about single mom Lucy. After her divorce she moves her two teenage boys to Red Duck with a plan to cook her way into being settled. She has her goal in sight, but ex baseball player Drew also lands in her sights. She just can’t help the attraction. Drew brings Lucy into his life as a cook, but soon realizes that she fits into the rest of his life all too well and he wants to keep her.
This
Cynthia D'Alba
Aug 09, 2011 Cynthia D'Alba rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that stayed with me after I'd closed the cover. I didn't want to leave these characters. This is classified as Romance but was a wonderful Women's Fiction with romance. I loved the heroine, whose body might have been a little too perfect. Hero is a lady's man who is knocked sideways by Lucy, a 45 y/o mother of two teenage boys.

As a reader who is (as they say) of a certain age, I loved reading a story with a heroine who wasn't twenty-something and totally put together.
N. Kuhn
Sep 30, 2014 N. Kuhn rated it liked it
Once again, I am not into the "story lines" of other characters. I just want to know about the main ones. Not all of them. I feel it drags the story down. At times, I find myself flipping pages just to get back to the main characters.

On to the story, I have to commend single moms out there! Losing a husband, raising children on their own isn't easy. It also isn't easy to date when your life is all about your kids. Either way, this was a sweet story. There were some detail issues I found. 17 year
Amy
Jun 29, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it
Blurgh.
Linda C
Dec 01, 2015 Linda C rated it really liked it
Divorced Mom, Lucy Carpenter, moves with her 2 sons, Jason, 16, and Matt, 12 to Red Duck, ID from Boise to remove Jason from some bad influences. She rents a rundown house in this resort area and begins looking for clients for her personal chef business. Ex-baseball pro, Drew Tolman, coaches Little League and the school baseball team. Drew also has a 17 year old daughter that he had denied was his until she was 14, at which point she wanted nothing to do with him. When her mother dies she moves ...more
Michele
Mar 27, 2007 Michele rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Single-mother Lucy Carpenter hopes she has made the right decision moving her two sons to Red Duck, Idaho. The upscale ski community should provide ample opportunity for her to work as a personal chef, although rival chef Raul is sabotaging her attempts. He seems to have cornered the cuisine market, so Lucy must carve out her own and turns to the town's Lothario for help. Everyone loves ex-professional baseball player and present-day Little League coach Drew Tolman. All the women are attracted t ...more
Kristal
Feb 24, 2016 Kristal rated it liked it
Lucy is recently divorced and now the single mother of two boys. In an effort to start a new life she decides to move her family to Red Duck, Idaho, an upscale ski community where she has plans to start her own business as a personal chef. But the only current chef in town, the eccentric Raul, is sabotaging her attempts. Finding herself low on money and desperate for a solution, Lucy turns to the most influential person in town, ex-professional baseball player Drew Tolman. Trying to keep the arr ...more
Trixie
Oct 08, 2014 Trixie rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books! For the most part the best you can get out of me is four stars. I love this author and this book. Her main charactors are middle aged women who look, feel and act like middle aged woman. I can relate to her charactors.... Stef Ann Holm does not receive the recognition she deserves.
L8blmr
May 11, 2011 L8blmr rated it it was amazing
I am not usually very "gushy" in my reviews, but I have to say this again(because I'm fairly sure I've said it before) - this woman is one of the most underrated writers of romantic fiction. This book is about so much more than Lucy, the title character; there's the retired baseball star and his 17-year-old daughter he's never really acknowledged, his former girlfriend who "finds herself" in a most unusual way, Lucy's sons who are dealing with the desertion of their jerk of a father, and a chef ...more
Dawn
Feb 20, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok
Pretty good story line although fairly predictable. I had trouble, however, getting over the lack of editing. A few words misspelled and misplaced here and there but there were two big areas I noticed where the author contradicted herself. For instance I remember Lucy is admiring Drew's crisp white shirt in one paragraph and in the next she is describing his nipples although he still, apparently has that crisp shirt on! And then in another part of the book Lucy is going to her car to get a sweat ...more
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
cute story. i enjoyed the town that it was set in and would love to read more about these people's lives.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
|3.5 stars|

I can describe it as sweet and realistically romantic...
A single mom faces the challenges of raising two teenagers in a small village, an absent ex husband with lots of broken promises, a single father, who is the coach to her son( and so cute), trying to come closer with his new daughter, his daughter that wants to make up with her father and the village's other personal cook's rivalry.... Who said life was easy?
Andreasoldier
Feb 21, 2012 Andreasoldier rated it liked it
This is classified as romance but it's really an easy to read piece of woman's fiction. Lucy moves with her sons to a small resort town to restart her life after a cheating husband leaves her for the other women and a divorce. A 103-year-old helps a high-powered real estate agent discover she can live without man attached at the hip. A retired baseball pro builds a relationship with a daughter, 17, he denied for year.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Unlike the many who said the book was predictable and boring, I on the other hand thought it was a good story. It wasn't predictable at all. There were many characters in this story and each had their own story to tell. It was captivating and I personally enjoyed reading it. I have read other books by Stef Ann Holm and have enjoyed them all. Would recommend this for as a good summer read!
Virginia Campbell
Jun 28, 2009 Virginia Campbell rated it really liked it
My hat is off to Stef Ann Holm for making her characters attractive, imperfect, and nicely seasoned. They have children, they have flaws, and they make mistakes. Sometimes you look beneath the surface and find the hidden gem. When your first love is not the lasting love of your life, don't give up. Don't miss out on the second chance, which may be richer and more fulfilling than you ever dreamed!
Just - The romance reader
While I enjoyed the book, I didn't LOVE it. I liked the characters fine, and while I didn't feel like the story was lacking, it still didn't pull me in to the point of "I LOVE this book!"

It is a bit of a love story between Lucy and Drew, but there were other stories and situations interwoven with the budding relationship between Lucy and Drew, and I really liked that.
Genny
Jan 16, 2014 Genny rated it really liked it
Nice, sweet story line. The character is very like able!
Ann Mulholland
Jun 22, 2012 Ann Mulholland rated it really liked it
really liked this book. I have read a few books by Stef Ann Holm and have enjoyed each one. The ending was kind of predictable but still very satisfying. It's good to read about strong women and Lucy Carpenters is one. Raising two teenage sons after a divorce and moving, she set out to get her life back....and succeeds. Well done
Downward dog
Sep 26, 2012 Downward dog rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-romance
First book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it. Lucy's husband left her for another women and she moves with her two boys to a small town. A retired baseball star lives there, drew tolman. They are attracted to one another from the first moment they meet.
Sharlynora
Aug 31, 2009 Sharlynora rated it did not like it
This book was very badly written. Instead of allowing her 17 year old character swear as most 17 years olds actually do, she spells out phonetically the "kosher" swear words. Example: effing

Very predictable from start to finish. Very lame book.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2007 Michelle rated it did not like it
horrible. i couldn't even finish this. the characters were annoying stereotypes. the main guy drove a hummer and called all the ladies "sugar" and the main woman got all shakey-kneed when he was around. cheesy. the dialogue was even worse.
Michelle
Jul 19, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Entertaining but with inconsistent writing quality. Good characters but had issues with expressing their reactions in a non-cardboard way. (i.e. Lucy felt x...) Weak on the romance side, strong on the parenting aspects of the plot.
Tressa
Nov 20, 2008 Tressa rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This was a pleasant book to pass the time. Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with the characters. The ending was happy, but not in a typical romance book fashion. I think my dissatisfaction stems from that ending.
Iris Robinson
Jul 28, 2011 Iris Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance
Very fast read! Entertaining from start to finish. If you want romance and steamy scenes, this is for you! Some parts made me smile, and some made my eyes tear up. I'd recommend for a romance novel!!
Traci
Mar 11, 2015 Traci rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, as I have all the others I've read from Holm. Great story line, great characters and great ending. Would recommend this book for a weekend read.
Iowalibrarian
Jul 04, 2012 Iowalibrarian rated it liked it
This was sort of predictable mom-with-kids starting over story. It had some bright spots, and the characters were interesting, but recipes would have made this much better!
Marie
Mar 27, 2013 Marie rated it liked it
Very predictable and a fast read. Good for a light romance but I thought the charaters lacked depth. You could see where this book was headed after the first chapter.
Mandy
Dec 27, 2013 Mandy rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-read-own
This book is so boring and predictable. I’m not sure I’ve read a lamer book...oh, wait. I’ve read other books by this author. They’re ALL this bad.
Chanpreet
Feb 29, 2012 Chanpreet rated it liked it
This book was interesting and not what I was expecting, in a good way. The book had more substance than what I was expecting.
  • Sliding into Home (Harlequin Blaze, #486)
  • Be My Baby Tonight (Trehan Brothers, #2)
  • Curveball (Philadelphia Patriots, #4)
  • Special of the Day
  • Hook, Line and Sink Him
  • Playing The Field (Diamonds and Dugouts, #2)
  • Playing the Rookie
  • Hot Target
  • Big Leagues (A Cat McDaniel Mystery, #1)
  • The Real Deal (Harlequin Blaze, #573)
  • Spring Training (Game On #1)
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
  • Boys Of Summer
  • Going Deep (Mustangs Baseball, #2)
  • Too Hot to Handle (The Boys of Summer, #2)
  • Back on Track
  • Arousing Suspicions
  • Lucky Enough (Whisper Hollow, #1)
Stef Ann Holm was born in Southern California near Hollywood. With the fantasy worlds of Disneyland and Universal Studios at her doorstep, her imagination was stimulated at an early age. She attended Chatsworth High where Kevin Spacey, Mare Winningham and Val Kilmer entertained on the school's stage. As a semester elective, Stef Ann enrolled in drama and played a Fandango hostess in the chorus of ...more
More about Stef Ann Holm...

Single Moms, Second Chances (3 books)
  • Girls Night