Lucy Gets Her Life Back

Lucy Gets Her Life Back

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Red Duck, Idaho, may be just a speck on the map, but it's perfect for a hardworking single mom looking for a good place to start over. Arriving with recipes, ambition, a silent prayer and two teenage boys, Lucy Carpenter is ready to cook her way into the hearts and wallets of celebrities who frequent the nearby ski resort and watering holes. But she needs somebody to put t...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Gets Her Life Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Gets Her Life Back

Cynthia D'Alba
This is one of those books that stayed with me after I'd closed the cover. I didn't want to leave these characters. This is classified as Romance but was a wonderful Women's Fiction with romance. I loved the heroine, whose body might have been a little too perfect. Hero is a lady's man who is knocked sideways by Lucy, a 45 y/o mother of two teenage boys.

As a reader who is (as they say) of a certain age, I loved reading a story with a heroine who wasn't twenty-something and totally put together....more
Amy
Blurgh.
Michele
Mar 27, 2007 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Single-mother Lucy Carpenter hopes she has made the right decision moving her two sons to Red Duck, Idaho. The upscale ski community should provide ample opportunity for her to work as a personal chef, although rival chef Raul is sabotaging her attempts. He seems to have cornered the cuisine market, so Lucy must carve out her own and turns to the town's Lothario for help. Everyone loves ex-professional baseball player and present-day Little League coach Drew Tolman. All the women are attracted t...more
L8blmr
I am not usually very "gushy" in my reviews, but I have to say this again(because I'm fairly sure I've said it before) - this woman is one of the most underrated writers of romantic fiction. This book is about so much more than Lucy, the title character; there's the retired baseball star and his 17-year-old daughter he's never really acknowledged, his former girlfriend who "finds herself" in a most unusual way, Lucy's sons who are dealing with the desertion of their jerk of a father, and a chef...more
Dawn
Pretty good story line although fairly predictable. I had trouble, however, getting over the lack of editing. A few words misspelled and misplaced here and there but there were two big areas I noticed where the author contradicted herself. For instance I remember Lucy is admiring Drew's crisp white shirt in one paragraph and in the next she is describing his nipples although he still, apparently has that crisp shirt on! And then in another part of the book Lucy is going to her car to get a sweat...more
Meaghan
cute story. i enjoyed the town that it was set in and would love to read more about these people's lives.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
|3.5 stars|

I can describe it as sweet and realistically romantic...
A single mom faces the challenges of raising two teenagers in a small village, an absent ex husband with lots of broken promises, a single father, who is the coach to her son( and so cute), trying to come closer with his new daughter, his daughter that wants to make up with her father and the village's other personal cook's rivalry.... Who said life was easy?
Andreasoldier
This is classified as romance but it's really an easy to read piece of woman's fiction. Lucy moves with her sons to a small resort town to restart her life after a cheating husband leaves her for the other women and a divorce. A 103-year-old helps a high-powered real estate agent discover she can live without man attached at the hip. A retired baseball pro builds a relationship with a daughter, 17, he denied for year.
Sharon
Unlike the many who said the book was predictable and boring, I on the other hand thought it was a good story. It wasn't predictable at all. There were many characters in this story and each had their own story to tell. It was captivating and I personally enjoyed reading it. I have read other books by Stef Ann Holm and have enjoyed them all. Would recommend this for as a good summer read!
Virginia Campbell
My hat is off to Stef Ann Holm for making her characters attractive, imperfect, and nicely seasoned. They have children, they have flaws, and they make mistakes. Sometimes you look beneath the surface and find the hidden gem. When your first love is not the lasting love of your life, don't give up. Don't miss out on the second chance, which may be richer and more fulfilling than you ever dreamed!
Just - The romance reader
While I enjoyed the book, I didn't LOVE it. I liked the characters fine, and while I didn't feel like the story was lacking, it still didn't pull me in to the point of "I LOVE this book!"

It is a bit of a love story between Lucy and Drew, but there were other stories and situations interwoven with the budding relationship between Lucy and Drew, and I really liked that.
Genny
Nice, sweet story line. The character is very like able!
Ann Mulholland
really liked this book. I have read a few books by Stef Ann Holm and have enjoyed each one. The ending was kind of predictable but still very satisfying. It's good to read about strong women and Lucy Carpenters is one. Raising two teenage sons after a divorce and moving, she set out to get her life back....and succeeds. Well done
Downward dog
First book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it. Lucy's husband left her for another women and she moves with her two boys to a small town. A retired baseball star lives there, drew tolman. They are attracted to one another from the first moment they meet.
Sharlynora
This book was very badly written. Instead of allowing her 17 year old character swear as most 17 years olds actually do, she spells out phonetically the "kosher" swear words. Example: effing

Very predictable from start to finish. Very lame book.
Michelle
horrible. i couldn't even finish this. the characters were annoying stereotypes. the main guy drove a hummer and called all the ladies "sugar" and the main woman got all shakey-kneed when he was around. cheesy. the dialogue was even worse.
Michelle
Entertaining but with inconsistent writing quality. Good characters but had issues with expressing their reactions in a non-cardboard way. (i.e. Lucy felt x...) Weak on the romance side, strong on the parenting aspects of the plot.
Tressa
This was a pleasant book to pass the time. Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with the characters. The ending was happy, but not in a typical romance book fashion. I think my dissatisfaction stems from that ending.
Iris Robinson
Very fast read! Entertaining from start to finish. If you want romance and steamy scenes, this is for you! Some parts made me smile, and some made my eyes tear up. I'd recommend for a romance novel!!
Iowalibrarian
This was sort of predictable mom-with-kids starting over story. It had some bright spots, and the characters were interesting, but recipes would have made this much better!
Marie
Very predictable and a fast read. Good for a light romance but I thought the charaters lacked depth. You could see where this book was headed after the first chapter.
Mandy
This book is so boring and predictable. I’m not sure I’ve read a lamer book...oh, wait. I’ve read other books by this author. They’re ALL this bad.
Chanpreet
This book was interesting and not what I was expecting, in a good way. The book had more substance than what I was expecting.
Mom
Set in Idaho, a newly divorced woman moves with her two dons to Idaho to begin a new life as a personal chef.
penelopewanders
Enjoyable read about a divorced mother trying to raise her boys, and a hero with feet of clay.
Ellen
Lame and predictable. I should have put it down after a couple of chapters.
Judy Vincenti
Good quick read. I enjoyed the characters and storyline.
Erin
Light and easy read. Fun and fast for the weekend :)
Donnajo
Apr 12, 2011 Donnajo marked it as to-read
Riverdale library sale 3/26=27/11
Amber
A fun, happy, clean book.
  • The Return Of The Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • Total Control (NASCAR, #5)
  • Code Name: Bikini (SEAL and Code Name, #9)
  • Arousing Suspicions
  • The Right Choice
  • A Vow to Love
  • Shattered Sky
  • Sunshine and Shadow
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Restless Hearts (The Flanagans, #6)
  • Fall Girl
  • Leave It to Cleavage
  • Thirteen Chances
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Deadly Deceptions (Mojo, #2)
  • Dark and Dangerous
  • When Venus Fell
Stef Ann Holm was born in Southern California near Hollywood. With the fantasy worlds of Disneyland and Universal Studios at her doorstep, her imagination was stimulated at an early age. She attended Chatsworth High where Kevin Spacey, Mare Winningham and Val Kilmer entertained on the school's stage. As a semester elective, Stef Ann enrolled in drama and played a Fandango hostess in the chorus of...more
More about Stef Ann Holm...
Girls Night Leaving Normal All That Matters All the Right Angles Pink Moon