Start by marking “Oedipus Rex and Antigone” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Oedipus Rex and Antigone

Oedipus Rex and Antigone

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,157 ratings  ·  56 reviews

Oedipus Rex is the greatest of the Greek tragedies, a profound meditation on the human condition. The story of the mythological king, who is doomed to kill his father and marry his mother, has resonated in world culture for almost 2,500 years. But Sophocles’ drama as originally performed was much more than a great story—it was a superb poetic script and exciting theatrical

Published February 18th 2000 by University Publishing House (first published -429)

To ask other readers questions about Oedipus Rex and Antigone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oedipus Rex and Antigone

Hamlet by William ShakespeareRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupérySteppenwolf by Hermann Hesse
Favourite "homework" books
55th out of 166 books — 96 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Greek Mythology
68th out of 352 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Il ciclo tebano di Sofocle (Edipo re - Edipo a Colono - Antigone) è imperniato sull'ineluttabilità del destino.

I due grandi protagonisti, ognuno dell'omonima tragedia - Edipo e Antigone - si ritrovano in balìa del Fato. Sono persone rette, amano la famiglia, rispettano e onorano gli dei... non meritano le sventure che si riversano loro addosso. Eppure non basta: è scritto nel destino che la loro stirpe - i Labdacidi - sia seguita dalla disgrazia e la loro vita sia colma di pianto, rovina, morte,
S.E. Anderson
Ah Oedipus... your deeds are so profound that you have a complex named after you. The Greeks did it best. Like MacBeth centuries after, Oedipus was a victim of a prophecy of his future. He was removed from his home in order to spare him from that fate and because of that removal he ended up doing what they said he would. They don't call them tragedies for nothing.
First of all, I've only read Antigone, because it was a must-read for school. At first I thought I liked it, there were a lot of well said thought and it was beautifully written, but the ending was so ridiculous. I wonder if my literature teacher wants everyone in the class to commit suicide as problem solving. Because teachers usually also want students to learn things about life from must-reads, and this book just didn't teach the good way to solve your problems. Not at all.
It did teach some
Olivia Bryant
Oedipus by Sophocles was a relatively short play written in about 400 B.C. and it's a pretty quick read, and for it being so short I'm surprised to say that I actually enjoyed it. Though I'm not sure I'd recommend it to everyone. It's not that story is complicated, it that the way it's written and language might be hard to understand, as well as the references to Greek Gods and Goddesses.

The play is basically about a king, named Oedipus, is proposed a life altering question; is his with his mot
I promise to be brutally honest with my opinion, but it should not be taken as fact. Any reader should read it for themselves, before they decide if this book has any merit or not. Do not judge this book baised solely on my opinion. If you do, you might miss out on a great read. You never know. It could happen.
1. Strong Main Character/ Female Heroine: Antigone is a very strong heroine, who believes strongly in her rights, but also about the laws of the Gods. She wantst follow God's law, instea
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Cristina - Athenae Noctua
Il nucleo della tragedia greca è il conflitto. Non il dolore, non la morte, non la punizione: essi ne sono la conseguenza. Il dramma nasce da uno scontro che può riguardare le intenzioni, i sentimenti, le civiltà, la morale, l'orgoglio. Le tragedie più riuscite sono, infatti, quelle in cui i conflitti si manifestano in maniera più forte, dimostrandosi insolubili, non permettendoci di prendere una posizione chiara in favore di una o dell'altra parte. La morte e la punizione costituiscono quasi se ...more
Sophocles at his finest. Both plays/poems are beautifully written and tell tales of tragedy that are sorrowful but grand in their writing.
Daniel Andrade Gaitán
Edipo Rey:
Amazing... Es una obra de arte... 5 estrellas para Edipo Rey

Is not as Edipo, but still amezing... La continuación, el final es lo MEJOR, quedé en Shock... 4 estrellas para Antígona.

Todo suma 4.5 estrellas!

Totally recommend it!
Chevindu Wickramathilaka
My English class in tenth grade had a Greek unit for a while, so we read Oedipus, amongst other books. While the old language is hard to wrap your mind around, if you break it up into sections and analyze the paragraph, it should be easier to interpret. It was an interesting read, but didn't leave too much of an impression on me.

The best part of this unit, however, was when we split up into groups and did a reenactment of a scene in Oedipus. In honor of the then-upcoming Catching Fire movie, we
Goele Lousbergh
and so 2,500 years of inspiration began. How cool is that?
Miranda Wisor
No one, no one, no one references this story correctly.
Raquel Baptistone
Li Antígona para escola
Jennifer Stahl
I love the irony.
I've read the Lattimore and Fagels translations of Sophocles, but it was Holderlin (by way of Constantine) that really pulled me into the story. Although at times it can be nearly impossible to follow the action, the emotion of the plays comes across so strongly there, and this is a real art piece, imaginative and beautiful. I can't imagine seeing it performed, or reading this as the only translation, but I'm so glad I have it to supplement the more traditional translations.
Ayesha Begum
Oedipus rex is a awesome play. i really like this writing piece of Sophocles because i actually understood what happened in the book. Oedipus was teh killer of the king of Thebes but that was mysterious to him. when he was the murderer of the king. the nasty part was when it says he married his mother and the king that he killed is his father. but the end wasnt all that good because he died even his wife/mother killed herself.
Naty Flor
3.5 como puntaje general.
A Edipo Rey le he dado 4/5 estrellas ya que me ha resultado una lectura bastante amena para ser de la literatura griega y además la historia me resultó muy interesante.
a Antígona le he dado 3/5 ya que a comparación del primero, la escritura me ha resultado un poco más pesada y la historia no me resultó tan buena como la primera, pero en sí me ha gustado.
Me gusto mucho mas Edipo rey que Antigona
Los dos libros son muy buenos, en algunas partes se ponen aburridos pero vale la pena leerlos. :)
I haven't read these plays in eons, way too many eons. I enjoyed them thoroughly, and would have enjoyed discussing their psychological angles. Alas, the instructor wasn't there. Anyway, the characters are so very compelling and their situations so gut-wrenching that I think I'll revisit more ancient Greeks. That Sophocles sure knew his stuff.
Merilyn Ohtla
This book did not appeal to me at first. A man kills his father in order to marry his mother and have kids with her, so instead of having daughters or sons, they are like his sister daughters and sons. It was so weird that it made me sick, but then again it shows us that there is no escape from fate. You may try but you will not succeed.
Edipo Rey: 5 estrellas, 5 Stars.

Edipo Rey es fantastico, mágico, todo tiene sentido al leerlo, no puedes parar, es una obra que te llena con su drama y suspenso! El final es asombroso.

Antígona: 4 estrellas, 4 stars.

Antígona no me atrapó de la misma forma, me cansé un poco al leerla... Le falta un poco de escencia.
Ένα πραγματικό αριστούργημα. Ένα μεγαλείο απο μαθήματα ζωής. Γλώσσα και γραφή άριστη. Το προτείνω ανεπιφύλακτα σε όλους τους ανθρώπους ανεξαρτήτου ηλικίας, ενδιαφερόντων και λογοτεχνικών προτιμήσεων. Είναι ένα από τα ομορφότερα βιβλία που έχουν γραφτεί ποτέ. Ένα από τα όνειρά μου είναι να διαβάσω όλα τα έργα του Ομήρου.
Paola Garcia
Oedipus Rex was so tragic,I felt so bad for Oedipus. But yet he learn a powerful message.I felt that Oedipus dissevers the punishment he got. The theme of fate and try to go against in particularly nature. Nature always clearly wins no matter how hard you try, Oedipus learn that the hard way but it overall story is crazy!!
I had read these both in high school and didn't get much from them. When I read them in my third year of college, I had a great professor who really had us deeply analyze the texts. I enjoyed Antigone especially after this class.
loved them both butthen I love this kind of writing with the gods and goddesses of ancient greece and the use of hubris and imagery. Totally transports me. ineedto get a copy again an d read them once more
Bethany Kelso
I liked the characters and the lessons, but the ending is just too depressing (for both Oedipus and Antigone). And, of course, it is fairly hard to read as well.
Mar 16, 2010 Channing is currently reading it
Oedipus was a great little story. The subject matter was a little questionable - do we just excuse unsavory subject matter because it is written in iambic pentameter?
Anthony Ventrello
A terrible tragedy that you wish you could change the ending to. As much as a joy to read as to see performed. A must-read for all serious literary hounds.
  • Hamlet: An Authoritative Text, Intellectual Backgrounds, Extracts from the Sources, Essays in Criticism (Norton Critical Edition)
  • The Persians
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • Angel of Light
  • Treatises on Friendship and Old Age
  • Svensk maffia: En kartläggning av de kriminella gängen
  • Vad gör alla superokända människor hela dagarna?
  • Underbara dagar framför oss: En biografi över Olof Palme
  • Underbar och älskad av alla (och på jobbet går det också bra)
  • Och Piccadilly Circus ligger inte i Kumla
  • Novela od Stanca
  • Michael Brother of Jerry
  • Poems
  • Simon and the Oaks
  • Grief Lessons: Four Plays by Euripides
  • Tartuffe and Other Plays
  • Jag vill inte dö, jag vill bara inte leva
  • The Statesman (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
Sophocles (Greek: Σοφοκλής; German editions: Sophokles, Russian: Софокл) was an ancient Greek tragedy playwright. Not many things are known about his life other than that he was wealthy, well educated and wrote about one hundred and twenty three plays (of which few are extant). One of his best known plays is 'Oedipus the King' (Oedipus Rex).
More about Sophocles...