Start by marking “A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales” as Want to Read:
A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Fantasy Press composite reprint: A Martian Odyssey & Others ('49) & The Red Peri ('52):
A Martian Odyssey/Tweel ('34) Weinbaum novelette
An Autobiographical Sketch ('35) Weinbaum essay
Dawn of Fame: The Career of Stanley G. Weinbaum/Studies in Science Fiction ('59) Sam Moskowitz essay
Flight on Titan ('35) Weinbaum novelette
Graph ('36) Weinbaum story
Parasite Planet/H
Published June 28th 1974 by Hyperion Press Incorporated of Westport, CT (first published July 1934)

To ask other readers questions about A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

Stephen
I'm a huge SF geekasaurus fairly prolific reader of science fiction and yet I was very surprised to learn that this classic tale was the #2 vote getter (behind only Isaac Asimov’s Nightfall) when the Science Fiction Writers of America compiled their list of the Best SF short stories written before 1965. Of course, once I read this strange and wonderful story, my bulging eyes receded and I quickly lost the slack in my jaw because Stanley G Weinbaum penned a masterpiece when he wrote this tale in ...more
Rafeeq O.
Aug 16, 2014 Rafeeq O. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Martian Odyssey by Stanley G. Weinbaum has some of the occasional creakiness to be expected of Golden Age science fiction--conventions of the era, really, rather than actual true authorial failures--but for its period of the mid-1930s this book of five stories does indeed show a great deal of innovative imagination, and of course quite decent storytelling as well.

The title story, the 1934 "A Martian Odyssey," is one of those original "classics" about which the SF reader always hears, such as,
James
Jan 06, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag, but an important one given its historical context. Weinbaum was something of a prodigy, rewriting the course of science fiction in his tragically brief career (he died while in his early thirties, in 1935). Weinbaum's work took us from the era of Victorian/Edwardian adventure (Verne, Wells) into the golden age of post-WWII science fiction. And in this collection of five short stories and novellas, we see that change as it occurs.

Despite being a major breakthrough, viewed with eight
Eric
May 26, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction buffs.
Stanley G. Weinbaum's mind is an incredible force in the pioneering of a genre that was largely undeveloped at the time of his writing. His first story, A Martian Odyssey, ran in the mid nineteen thirties. This doesn't stop his characters from visiting Mars in atomic powered space craft. He briefly alludes to a series of previous space expeditions, which gives his universe a complete feel, despite the sparse details that frame it. The bulk of the story is told my one of the martianauts who is se ...more
Reinhold
Eine Marsexpedition landet dort und findet Spuren eine Zivilisation und treffen auf ein straußenähnliches Wesen, das ihnen Flora und Faune des Planeten näherbringt.
Dem Leser begegnet dann unglaubliche Aliens, denen Weinbaum seinen legendären Ruf verdankt. Er hat sich Wesen ausgedacht, die in ihrem Aussehen, Wesen und Metabolismus dem Leser bisher völlig fremd waren, aber dennoch logische und glaubhafte Wesenheiten waren...
Joey Brockert
Jan 02, 2013 Joey Brockert rated it liked it

I was cued in to read this book from the dedication for it in “Deus Irae” by Mr, Zalanzy and Mr. Dick.
Four astronauts have landed and are exploring Mats. One goes this way, and the other goes that way. The one had a problem and had to walk back to the ship across various landscapes. The first thing the does is save an odd creatujre from being eaten by another creature. They became trabeling companions. On the way back they encountered other oddities, most of which were explained by the creatur
Simon
Jan 22, 2015 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
It's been a while since I read any Golden Age science fiction, and now I know why. The cover blurb and fawning introduction try desperately hard to convince you that these stories are ground-breaking classics, but all I found was a handful of horribly dated tales. Even taking into account the fact that they were written in the 1930s there's no excuse for characterisation which doesn't extend beyond identifying people as "the physicist", "the chemist" and "the astronomer", for conversations which ...more
CV Rick
Dec 29, 2013 CV Rick rated it really liked it
Can you believe this guy only had an 18 month career? He wrote for years, but his first professional publication happened a year and a half before he died of lung cancer. I wonder what he was up to and I wonder what he could've become.

Anyway, A Martian Odyssey - the title story apparently changed the science fiction genre. It was the first alien to truly be alien. The Tweel didn't act like a human, think like a human, speak like a human, or look like a human. It was better than human and worse.
Joseph
Mar 01, 2011 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection science fiction stories by author Stanley Weinbaum, 16 stories in all. Weinbaum died in 1934 so his stories reflect science fiction of that time. These are tales of exploration and living on planets within our solar system and obviously do not reflect our current state of knowledge of these planets. This does not prevent telling a good tale. This collection also includes several Haskel van Manderpootz (an arrogant genius) stories that are surprisingly good in the concepts they raise ...more
Olethros
-Una buena ocasión para demostrar que las perspectivas cambian con el tiempo.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Seis relatos del prematuramente malogrado y no demasiado conocido autor, mayoritariamente de Ciencia-Ficción y que tocan, entre otros temas, el extraño y peligroso ecosistema venusiano, las matemáticas para escapar de un loco homicida, una isla con criaturas extrañas, la exploración de Marte y una mujer con capacidades metahumanas. Relatos escritos entre 1934 y 1936, varios publicados
Steven Peterson
Oct 02, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories by pioneering sci-fi author Stanley Weinbaum. Sam Moskowitz, in an introduction to this volume, says that (Page 3): "Many devotees of science fiction sincerely believe that the true beginnings of modern science fiction, with its emphasis on polished writing, otherworldly psychology, and stronger characterization began with Stanley G. Weinbaum."

This is a fine volume, containing some of his best short works. My personal favorite? "A Martian Odyssey," published in 1934. Othe
Andreas
Apr 29, 2008 Andreas rated it liked it
Recommends it for: SF fans who are interested in the history of the genre
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of the better pulp classics, it contains 6 famous stories. Most of them are still entertaining, but definitely nothing that keeps you awake all night. The whole genre has moved forward so you should only pick up the book if you are interested in the history of SF.

The best story is Pygmalion's Spectacle, it has a nice punchline. The worst stories are Tidal Moon and A circle of zero.
Olivera
May 21, 2011 Olivera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
So far, I have only read 'A Martian Odyssey' and the follow up, 'Valley of Dreams'. I love Tweel, and the descriptions and the exploration of Mars, but absolutely hate the Captain, Harrison and the reactions to being retold tales of other worlds! He is the captains of the first spaceship to Mars! Why would everything seem 'nuts!' to him? It so annoying, but I guess I was never an early 20th century astronomer.
Robert
Jun 09, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic which helped spawn my interest in science fiction and the way I thought about things. It is sad that Weinbaum's career as a writer was so short. Even so he helped set the bar for all the science fiction that came after him. All the stories in this book are the type you cannot put down until done. Highly recommended read even today for anyone interested in this genre.
Tiago Hackbarth
Jun 01, 2011 Tiago Hackbarth rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic journey of imagination. For the time it was writen, the depiction of Mars is perfect, and it was the one of the first SF Novels that depicted Aliens that where more than humans with funny heads.

Tweel may be the first alien in SF that had not only a alien body, but a alien mind.
Chris Gager
Nov 15, 2011 Chris Gager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a book years ago with classic sci-fi stories and this is the only title I remember. In fact it's the only story I remember. So this might be the right book. But... seems to me the other stories were by different writers so maybe not. Date read is a guess.
Erik Graff
Mar 24, 2010 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weinbaum fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Much as Weinbaum is of historical importance to the science fiction genre, I didn't much care for his stories. They seemed quite dated at the time I read them. Frankly, the only thing that impressed me was his description of the life-forms of Mars.
Al Petrie
Al Petrie rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Steven A Baumgartner
Steven A Baumgartner rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Big_bill
Big_bill rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Jimmy Rumple
Jimmy Rumple marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
David Layton
David Layton rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Daniel R Boman
Daniel R Boman rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Brick Hardslab
Brick Hardslab marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Full name: Stanley Grauman Weinbaum

"In his short career, Stanley G. Weinbaum revolutionized science fiction. We are still exploring the themes he gave us." - Poul Anderson

"Stanley G. Weinbaum's name deserves to rank with those of Wells and Heinlein - and no more than a handful of others - as among the great shapers of modern science fiction." - Frederik Pohl
More about Stanley G. Weinbaum...