Start by marking “A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales” as Want to Read:
A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Fantasy Press composite reprint: A Martian Odyssey & Others ('49) & The Red Peri ('52):
A Martian Odyssey/Tweel ('34) Weinbaum novelette
An Autobiographical Sketch ('35) Weinbaum essay
Dawn of Fame: The Career of Stanley G. Weinbaum/Studies in Science Fiction ('59) Sam Moskowitz essay
Flight on Titan ('35) Weinbaum novelette
Graph ('36) Weinbaum story
Parasite Planet/H
Published June 28th 1974 by Hyperion Press Incorporated of Westport, CT (first published July 1934)

To ask other readers questions about A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Martian Odyssey and Other Science Fiction Tales

Stephen
I'm a huge SF geekasaurus fairly prolific reader of science fiction and yet I was very surprised to learn that this classic tale was the #2 vote getter (behind only Isaac Asimov’s Nightfall) when the Science Fiction Writers of America compiled their list of the Best SF short stories written before 1965. Of course, once I read this strange and wonderful story, my bulging eyes receded and I quickly lost the slack in my jaw because Stanley G Weinbaum penned a masterpiece when he wrote this tale in ...more
Rafeeq O.
A Martian Odyssey by Stanley G. Weinbaum has some of the occasional creakiness to be expected of Golden Age science fiction--conventions of the era, really, rather than actual true authorial failures--but for its period of the mid-1930s this book of five stories does indeed show a great deal of innovative imagination, and of course quite decent storytelling as well.

The title story, the 1934 "A Martian Odyssey," is one of those original "classics" about which the SF reader always hears, such as,
Eric
May 26, 2008 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction buffs.
Stanley G. Weinbaum's mind is an incredible force in the pioneering of a genre that was largely undeveloped at the time of his writing. His first story, A Martian Odyssey, ran in the mid nineteen thirties. This doesn't stop his characters from visiting Mars in atomic powered space craft. He briefly alludes to a series of previous space expeditions, which gives his universe a complete feel, despite the sparse details that frame it. The bulk of the story is told my one of the martianauts who is se ...more
Joey Brockert

I was cued in to read this book from the dedication for it in “Deus Irae” by Mr, Zalanzy and Mr. Dick.
Four astronauts have landed and are exploring Mats. One goes this way, and the other goes that way. The one had a problem and had to walk back to the ship across various landscapes. The first thing the does is save an odd creatujre from being eaten by another creature. They became trabeling companions. On the way back they encountered other oddities, most of which were explained by the creatur
Simon
It's been a while since I read any Golden Age science fiction, and now I know why. The cover blurb and fawning introduction try desperately hard to convince you that these stories are ground-breaking classics, but all I found was a handful of horribly dated tales. Even taking into account the fact that they were written in the 1930s there's no excuse for characterisation which doesn't extend beyond identifying people as "the physicist", "the chemist" and "the astronomer", for conversations which ...more
CV Rick
Can you believe this guy only had an 18 month career? He wrote for years, but his first professional publication happened a year and a half before he died of lung cancer. I wonder what he was up to and I wonder what he could've become.

Anyway, A Martian Odyssey - the title story apparently changed the science fiction genre. It was the first alien to truly be alien. The Tweel didn't act like a human, think like a human, speak like a human, or look like a human. It was better than human and worse.
Joseph
A collection science fiction stories by author Stanley Weinbaum, 16 stories in all. Weinbaum died in 1934 so his stories reflect science fiction of that time. These are tales of exploration and living on planets within our solar system and obviously do not reflect our current state of knowledge of these planets. This does not prevent telling a good tale. This collection also includes several Haskel van Manderpootz (an arrogant genius) stories that are surprisingly good in the concepts they raise ...more
Steven Peterson
A collection of stories by pioneering sci-fi author Stanley Weinbaum. Sam Moskowitz, in an introduction to this volume, says that (Page 3): "Many devotees of science fiction sincerely believe that the true beginnings of modern science fiction, with its emphasis on polished writing, otherworldly psychology, and stronger characterization began with Stanley G. Weinbaum."

This is a fine volume, containing some of his best short works. My personal favorite? "A Martian Odyssey," published in 1934. Othe
Garma M
Jarvis is a member of the "Ares" expedition on Mars. He gets lost while exploring and meets Tweel. Tweel looks like an ostrich. They become friends. Jarvis suspects Tweel might be from a species smarter than his. Together they decide to set for "Ares" and on the way meet with many alien things. There are many species on Mars. Some are intelligent, while some are made from silica and considered unintelligent. (view spoiler) ...more
Andreas
Apr 29, 2008 Andreas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF fans who are interested in the history of the genre
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of the better pulp classics, it contains 6 famous stories. Most of them are still entertaining, but definitely nothing that keeps you awake all night. The whole genre has moved forward so you should only pick up the book if you are interested in the history of SF.

The best story is Pygmalion's Spectacle, it has a nice punchline. The worst stories are Tidal Moon and A circle of zero.
Olivera
So far, I have only read 'A Martian Odyssey' and the follow up, 'Valley of Dreams'. I love Tweel, and the descriptions and the exploration of Mars, but absolutely hate the Captain, Harrison and the reactions to being retold tales of other worlds! He is the captains of the first spaceship to Mars! Why would everything seem 'nuts!' to him? It so annoying, but I guess I was never an early 20th century astronomer.
Robert
A classic which helped spawn my interest in science fiction and the way I thought about things. It is sad that Weinbaum's career as a writer was so short. Even so he helped set the bar for all the science fiction that came after him. All the stories in this book are the type you cannot put down until done. Highly recommended read even today for anyone interested in this genre.
Tiago Hackbarth
This is a fantastic journey of imagination. For the time it was writen, the depiction of Mars is perfect, and it was the one of the first SF Novels that depicted Aliens that where more than humans with funny heads.

Tweel may be the first alien in SF that had not only a alien body, but a alien mind.
Chris Gager
I read a book years ago with classic sci-fi stories and this is the only title I remember. In fact it's the only story I remember. So this might be the right book. But... seems to me the other stories were by different writers so maybe not. Date read is a guess.
Erik Graff
Mar 24, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weinbaum fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Much as Weinbaum is of historical importance to the science fiction genre, I didn't much care for his stories. They seemed quite dated at the time I read them. Frankly, the only thing that impressed me was his description of the life-forms of Mars.
Shafaet Ashraf
স্ট্যানলি ওয়েইনবাম কে সাইন্স ফিকশনের পায়োনিয়ারদের একজন কেন ধরা হয় সেটা বুঝতে হলে বইটা অবশ্যই পড়তে হবে। দু:খজনক ব্যাপার হলো লেখক মাত্র ৩২ বছর বয়সে মারা গিয়েছেন, আর কিছুদিন বেচে থাকলে আরো দারুণ কিছু বই উপহার দিয়ে যেতে পারতেন।
Luc Schots
This story is almost 100 years old, but still stays as fresh as ever :-)
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 03, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Gregoire
Gregoire marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Wing Ho
Wing Ho marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Tina2times
Tina2times marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Full name: Stanley Grauman Weinbaum

"In his short career, Stanley G. Weinbaum revolutionized science fiction. We are still exploring the themes he gave us." - Poul Anderson

"Stanley G. Weinbaum's name deserves to rank with those of Wells and Heinlein - and no more than a handful of others - as among the great shapers of modern science fiction." - Frederik Pohl
More about Stanley G. Weinbaum...
The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum A Martian Odyssey The New Adam A Martian Odyssey/Stanley G. Weinbaum's Worlds of If The Black Flame