Start by marking “Angelo” as Want to Read:
Angelo

Angelo

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  24 reviews
High above the rooftops of Rome, Angelo begins his work restoring the façade of a once glorious church. There, among the sticks and feathers, he discovers a wounded bird. Angelo becomes the bird’s reluctant savior. As the church nears completion, Angelo begins to worry about the future of his avian friend. “What will become of you? Where will you go . . . where will you . ...more
Published April 10th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Angelo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angelo

Megumi Shavers
This book is a picture book and is for the age group of P and above. This author did not win any awards for this book. This book is about a man who finds a wounded bird while doing some construction work and take in the bird to help it get better. The bird and him creates a deep bond that develops into a friendship. I do not like this book for a couple of reasons.One the plot was confusing and two with the illustration it seems like too much was going on. I really wasn't sure what the story was ...more
Annie Combest-friedman
This is a very sentimental story about an old man named Angelo and a bird. The bond that formed between them was sweet and parallels a bond that may typically occur between grandparents and grandchildren. This story gently addressed death and its inevitability while highlighting the importance of time spent together. This would be a book I recommend to students cooping with loss. This would be a great book to include in the class library because it is easy to read but challenging enough for lear ...more
A wonderfully illustrated story about a plasterer who befriends a pigeon. Angelo finds an injured pigeon and nurses her back to health. As he ages, the pigeon encourages him through his final days of a church restoration. One of the things that I really like about this book is that it includes and addresses Angelo's death. While this can be a serious and scary subject for children, I believe that it is a topic that educators and parents need to find thoughtful ways to talk about it.

As much as I
Dolly
Apr 09, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet and somewhat melancholy story about a man who spends his last years restoring a church and helps a hurt pigeon. The story focuses on the relationship between Angleo and his pigeon Sylvia and how they comfort one another and keep each other company.

The narrative is engaging and the illustrations are terrific. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

interesting quote:

"With wet plaster and a few simple tools, he had spent his whole life making crumbling walls smooth again and
Paul
What a lovely book. Macaulay's signature style, his affection for architecture shown in the cityscapes and close-ups of repair work on scaffolding on a large building, drawings within drawings together create a rich environment to enter. What pulls us through the story is Angelo's care for the ailing pigeon Sylvia, her reciprocal care for him as he ages, and finally his tribute to her in the stucco exterior he has spent his final few years working on. Bravo!
Laurie
Aug 11, 2014 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3 years and up
Our grandbabies, preschool and kindergarten, loved this gentle story. Angelo is restoring an old cathedral when he comes upon an injured pigeon. With love and care for both the pigeon and the cathedral, Angelo leaves a legacy. Spoiler Alert: be prepared to discuss death in very simple terms.
Elaine
This was a bit melancholy, but the boys liked it too. While it took a bit to understand who "she" was, I felt like that's how some friendships begin. A lovely tale about a man who loves his work and yet has time for compassion for others.
Candina
This book was not what I expected. I cried near the end, which made it hard to keep reading. It's a beautiful story. We borrowed this from the library, but I think we may have to order our own copy.
Jessalyn King
So sad! But sweet. Loved the illustration. Loved the growth of the characters. Loved that the bird remembered Angelo. Also now curious how long pigeons live...
Linda
Very special story about a craftsman with a glorious job. Appears to be set in Italy. Loved the illustrations.
Rodrigo
Breanna Haynes
The book Angelo by David Macaulay is a really touching story about an old man who befriends a bird. The beginning of the story started out pretty funny, but as the story progresses it gets sweeter to read. Angelo really falls in love with his bird friend and would do anything to take care of her. The illustrations in this book are really beautiful and I think that they complement the story so well. The pictures are really detailed and very funny. Overall, this book is definitely one of my new fa ...more
Bree
Notes:
story about an old man and a pigeon helping each other
angelo dies at the end but it's a sweet story
we liked it but didn't re-read it very much
Amanda Day
This is a story about an old man that repairs stucco on old buildings. He befriends a bird while working on a building and they care for each other. Before the man dies he creates a next of stucco for the bird so that she always has a place to live.
Katrina Dreamer
I found this book at the Scholastic book fair when I was a student teacher. I loved the cover and I loved the story even more. It is about a sweet man and his relationship with a bird. I cry every time I read it and it is dear to my heart.
Kelly
This is a very touching story about a man growing older, friendship, and death. The illustrations are impressive and align well with the architectural vocabulary it teaches children.
Candace
Interesting illustrations and a unique story line. Not sure however in what situation I would read it in a classroom but I would definitely read it to my own children.
James
I think this is an excellent book to use to talk about life and death with younger students. It has a positive approach to the subject and was fun to read.
Lesley
This is a touching story between two unlikely friends who end up switching caretaker roles. The illustrations are charming as well.
Elizabeth
An old builder takes in a wounded pigeon. When he gets sick, the pigeon helps him in return.
Gabriella Reeves
It was very touching. This book brought tears to my big brother's eyes.
Maren
I may have gotten a little teary-eyed at the end of this one. A sweet story.
Marcus Reeves
A very sad story. Made me weep.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
kIDS
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Casey
Casey added it
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...
Black and White Castle The Way Things Work The New Way Things Work Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction