Start by marking “They Came From Below” as Want to Read:
They Came From Below

They Came From Below

Seventeen-year-old Emily and herbest friend Reesecan't wait for summer vacation on Cape Cod. Every year, it's the same thing: high hopes that they may finally hook up with some cool guys...and it never happens. But this year, they're sure it's going to be different. So it's totally amazing when out of nowhere they meet two unbelievably adorable boys who are just toocute to ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about They Came From Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Came From Below

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsLost Voices by Sarah  PorterOf Triton by Anna Banks
Mermaid Books
86th out of 132 books — 60 voters
Flipping the Scales by Pete TarsiThe Little Mermaid by Walt Disney CompanyMermaid Tales from Around the World by Mary Pope OsbornePoseidon’s Children by Michael  WestSleeping with the Fishes by MaryJanice Davidson
Mermaids
73rd out of 98 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Apr 14, 2016 Emily rated it did not like it
I have to say that this book was not as exciting as I thought it would be. The plot isn't that clear or organized, and the character development could have been a lot better. There were many good parts and such, don't get me wrong, but it felt like it was missing something. Also, the ending of the story was definitely short lived and ended very quickly. Then if it weren't for the awkward ending the last chapter was just not needed. I didn't feel that it was doing the novel justice to end it righ ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Becca Boland for TeensReadToo.com

Okay, I'm going to tell you the secret. The mystery to be solved, the secret to be unlocked. Ready? Here it is -- they came from below.

Every summer, Emily Dalton leaves Indianapolis to spend the summer with her scientist father on Cape Cod. She spends most of her time in South Point going to the beach, eating pizza, and meeting boys with her best friend, Reese. A week into the summer, they meet Steve and Dave, two of the cutest boys they have ever se
Liza
I would have loved this book had it not been for the odd-ness of the writing. The tone shifted rapidly from thoughtful, poignant, rare for YA to ehmagawd-quickread-typical YA lit writing. There was definitely potential for more solid, but interesting writing that would've made the book a bit better.
However, the plot was really captivating, and I'd definitely reread this book if only for the strange, sad, sometimes random, but all coming together somehow-ness of it. I'd argue that no, the book wa
April
Dec 11, 2007 April rated it really liked it
Emily spends every summer in Boston with her father, a marine biologist from MIT, and spends most of her time on the beach with her Goth friend Reese. This year, they're determined to find the perfect summer romance. That is until something strange washes up to shore and two very attractive boys turn up. But are they simply very foreign exchange students or are they actually from another planet?

So much was going on in this book and I think Nelson did a very good job of balancing out the typical
West Region,
They Came From Below by Blake Nelson

Two things happen while seventeen year old Emily is vacationing on Cape Cod. First, a strange body washes up on the beach and her Dad become part of a hush-hush government investigation which seems to zap all his strength. Second, Emily and her best friend, Reese, meet two guys who seem too good to be true.

Dave and Steve are the best looking guys the girls have ever seen, but the guys act kind of odd; in fact, a lot of odd things happen when the guys are arou
Int'l librarian
It’s too easy to say they should have stayed below, and too hard to resist.

This book had potential as a “Creature From the Black Lagoon” parody, and the first dozen or so rapid-fire chapters seemed on target. The two teen heroines are plenty vacuous in their search for sun and summer hookups, and the mystery surrounding Steve and Dave is obvious and ridiculous enough. But parodies need jokes: they don’t need a decidedly unfunny message about how humans are polluting the oceans, and how touchy-f
Hilary
Emily and her friend Reese are expecting a normal summer in Cape Cod until they meet two of the hottest guys they've ever known. Steve and Dave have Brad Pitt looks, but seem a little awkward at first and can speak just about every language in the world. Emily and Reese soon discover that Steve and Dave aren't just normal guys and that they may be connected with a mysterious blob found on the beach a few days earlier. The combination of the books short chapters and immediate first person narrati ...more
Cherish
I feel like where this book could have gone totally off the deep end in the environmentally-conscious department, it was actually executed very elegantly. It had an Orson Scott Card feel at times with the whole metaphysics of it all. Made me want to read Xenocide all over again.
Jessie
May 10, 2008 Jessie rated it really liked it
Two teenage girls in a small Cape Cod town on the prowl for sun, fun and summer boyfriends encounter two movie-star hot, intelligent and sensitive guys who don't have girlfriends! What's the catch? Oh, they're just a pair of alien lifeforms from the depths of the ocean who have taken on a human form to explore the land and rescue a fellow alien who washed up on the shore. It's always something! I loved this book--It was so funny and fast-paced that I didn't even realize 'til the last 2 pages how ...more
Zannatul Orin
Aug 11, 2012 Zannatul Orin rated it liked it
The ending was very sad. It almost made me cry. Dave and Steve was gone back under the ocean continuing to live like an organism. Emily cried a lot right after they left.

This story is told from the first person's view. This affects the story because the first person always explained whatever was going on inside her mind. She always included what she was thinking.

The reason the author wrote this book, is because he wants his readers to learn a little about science while enjoying the fantasy mom
Summer Baker
Jul 17, 2015 Summer Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-a-day
review coming soon
Turdlemary
Mar 23, 2008 Turdlemary rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory
This book is about 2 girls who goes to cape cop for the summer and meet these 2 strange men who actually came from the ocean. they've come up to find their friend and bring him home but the girls learn that the ocean are being polluted by humans and once the planet has died out they will find another home. Through this book i've learn that human influence on the earth is getting worse and worse and that if we don't do something soon it will like this book says and earth will die out in a matter ...more
Teen
Aug 26, 2008 Teen added it
Shelves: fantasy, environment
We don’t hear a lot about this book but it’s really great. It’s also hard to categorize. It features romance between human girls and supernatural boys, but it’s definitely not a Twilight read-alike. It’s full of action and suspense. It’s about saving the environment. But it’s also told in a voice of a fairly superficial teenage girl so I found it very funny. I wonder if it would get more attention if it was either more of a kooky caper or more of a serious melodrama.
LJ@DTH
Lesley
Nov 20, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it
Tiff
Oct 08, 2007 Tiff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ages 15 and up
Shelves: young-adult
This book is so original and creative. I read it in one sitting! I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi but when I read the teaser for this book I was intrigued. This is also a book that will make the reader ponder topics they have might not considered before.

I don't want to give it away!

The last thing is this: the ending DROVE ME CRAZY! There will definitely be a sequel. There better be at least.

I highly recommend this novel.
Erika
Jun 09, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swapped, 5-stars
How have I not heard about this author before? I won an arc of Recovery Road through the Goodreads giveaway, which was amazing and now I found this one in HPB's clearance section. I like how they quietly sneak up on you. It's a great story, I'm racing to finish it, and it's not until I'm closing the cover that I think, "Wow." There's definitely another layer there.
Erin
May 07, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
This was Blake Nelson's first attempt at science fiction and it was pretty good. This book was aimed at pre-teens and was a fast read. The plot was interesting enough that I actually dreamed about it the night after I read it. It's an environmental book in the tradition of teh Lorax but for a bit older crowd.
Alexis
Nov 18, 2008 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-reviews
I borrowed this from work when it first came out because it had a cool cover illustration and sounded interesting. The result was a little disappointing. It wasn't as entertaining as I thought it would be, and it didn't go as deep as I hoped it would. I guess it was okay as a light read, but it was a little shallow.
Ann
Sep 27, 2010 Ann added it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2007
Ages 12+ (some underage alcohol consumption, mentions of sex) One summer, a mysterious blob washes ashore on the east coast; two friends meet two mysterious men who seem inhuman - and it turns out they are. A speculative sci fi for people who don't like sci fi.
Leisa
Jan 22, 2013 Leisa rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable quick read. Nice combo of sci fi, Buddhist philosophy, and environmental warnings written in a friendly, non-intimidating style. I bought my copy at Dollar Tree- it was well worth the buck I paid for it. Aimed at young adults.
Laural Winter
Jun 03, 2011 Laural Winter rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Blake Nelson books. What's not to love about this story? Best friends, summer at the shore, a great Dad character, beautiful aliens whom look like Brad Pitt and might be looking for love! Wonderful!
Holly
Had to force myself to finish. There are a few interesting ideas about 2/3 of the way
through. (Hence the 2 stars instead of 1)
However you have to get through an awful lot of drivel & poor writing to get there.
Robin
Dec 30, 2007 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like fun and interesting fiction
While vacationing on Cape Cod, best friends Emily, 16, and Reese, 17, meet Steve and Dave, who seem too good to be true, and whose presence turns out to be related to a dire threat of global pollution.
Bethany
Feb 08, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
This was entertaining, but the author was unable to disguise his preachiness about environmental issues. At the end I just felt manipulated by Nelson's heavy-handedness. An okay book.
Chili Public
Oct 30, 2009 Chili Public rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: environmental types
Very interesting quick read. Sometimes it came off a little preachy on the environmental issues, not that I can blame him.
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 Cathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: environmental types
Molly
Oct 15, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
This book was good...just make sure no one tells you the ending!
Rhonda
Apr 04, 2009 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Quick easy science fiction book that about environmental issues.
Isah  Ragondo
Dec 04, 2011 Isah Ragondo rated it it was amazing
ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS IN MY BOOK COLLECTIONS... TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
Tammy
Mar 27, 2011 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Not what I expected... which made it more interesting.
  • Defect
  • Everything Beautiful in the World
  • Suckerpunch
  • Planet Pregnancy
  • Evil?
  • Rising Shadow (The Soterians, #1)
  • Operation Yes
  • Rucker Park Setup
Blake Nelson grew up in Portland, Oregon. He began his career writing short humor pieces for Details Magazine.

His first novel GIRL was originally serialized in SASSY magazine and was made into a film staring Selma Blaire and Portia De Rossi.

His novel PARANOID PARK won the prestigious International Grinzane Literary Award and was made into a film by Gus Van Sant.

His most recent Young Adult novel
More about Blake Nelson...

“Do you ever think about the ocean?" Nick asked me.
"What about it?" I said.
"Like what could live down there? Like how there's as much life down there as up here? Maybe more?"
"God Lives Underwater," said someone. "That's the name of a band. They're awesome."
"But seriously," Nick said, "it's like an alternate universe. Right here on our own planet."
"Right here, a hundred feet from us," said Sheila.
"Right here in my hair," said one of the girls who had swum, pulling some sea gunk out of her wet hair.
Everyone laughed quietly at that. Nick drank his beer. The wood crackled as it burned. We all stared at the black ocean.”
7 likes