Start by marking “The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell

The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  282 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
One of Booklist's Top 10 Business Books of 2002 and a "BusinessWeek, New York Times, Wall Street Journal," and "USA Today "business bestseller

""Management professor Oren Harari adopts Colin Powell's rise into the upper ranks of American power as a model for decision makers in the private sector. Harari hails Powell's character as the essence of a host of supple executive v
Published August 8th 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 25th 2002)

Paula
Jan 06, 2013 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while researching a presentation on the topic of leadership. Insightful and interesting. Presented some 'nuggets' of wisdon below.

Its the leaders role to overcome instituti9noal and individual inertia. Not afraid to turn up the heat on the poor performers. Success can breed complacancy. Disagree without being disagreeable.

Plans don't accomplish anything - endeavors succeed or fail because of the people involved. It is people who get things done. The most important asset you ha
Derrick
May 12, 2008 Derrick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in leadership or who wants to be in leadership.
Recommended to Derrick by: TSgt Rieth.
Shelves: self-help, 2008
A good book that gave some advice that to be honest I didn't found that profound or anything else that I didn't know already. So if I were to be asked if I had learned anything new from this book I would say that probably not, everything in the book is pretty simple and straight forward types of things. None-the-less it was a good book. I felt that many of the chapters within the book were somewhat redundant and could've been shortened down considerabley.
I like how the book was set up, it had e
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 19, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-spirit
True leadership is recognized universally, regardless of bipartisanship, differences in style and strategy and desired outcome.

True leadership is recognized by everyone, and we would be hard pressed to find anyone that would not recognize it in Colin Powell. Oren Harari does a thorough job portraying that character in his book, ”Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell“.

Harari wrote this book without collaboration with Powell; he used direct quotes from Powell and based his stories on a previous rel
Eliot
Dec 16, 2013 Eliot rated it really liked it
Great book on leadership and the development of a leader by a man who can be strategic or tactical depending on the situation. He is a big fan of small leadership and decentralized authority so this book should appeal to leaders of both large and small organizations.

Book is well structured around Powell's leadership rules:
- Know when to piss people off
- Promote a clash of ideas
- Avoid the ego trap
- Don't go looking for no
- Be a Chief Dis-organizer
- Know when to challenge the pros
- Get close wit
Ken
Sep 12, 2012 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to "It Worked For Me" and I needed another audiobook to accompany me on my drive to see my daughter and grand kids, so I got this from the library. I am thinking that I will look closer at the things I get in the future, because I realize I am more interested in autobiographical works, read by the author. This one seems drier and more textbooky.

Now, I have finished it, it is more textbooky. Some of the secrets were duplications of what I heard Colin Powell himself read in his audioboo
Daniel Rodriguez
Jan 06, 2016 Daniel Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
General Powell was a great influence in my career and his book made me relive the greatest points as a sergeant in the Army.
Jenifer
Jan 21, 2016 Jenifer rated it liked it
Great book
Alberto Rios Carmona
Great job. Really good down to earth concept and easy to embrace.

Very much aligned with my style. Just what I needed to polish my leadership and to reinforce my beliefs about a management within my organization.
Diane K
Mar 04, 2012 Diane K rated it really liked it
Very easy to read. I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a seminar in Chicago where he was the guest speaker. So this book reflected his personality and no nonsense style perfectly. Even though he has a no nonsense style of leadership, he still has an air of easiness and great sense of humor to balance it out. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to freshen up those leadership skills or those looking for "how-to" tips that really work.
Ryan Meffert
Dec 09, 2013 Ryan Meffert rated it it was amazing
There is a key difference between managing and leading. Colin Powell Secrets to Leadership contains tactics that leaders can actually utilize. This book contains real examples of how these secrets to leadership were used and help the reader to understand these concepts in action. This is one of my top leadership books and must have for any manager at any level.
Togar  Silaban
Apr 05, 2009 Togar Silaban rated it liked it
Saya baca versi Bahasa Indonesia.
Buku manajemen kepemimpinan yang menggambarkan pengambilan keputusan yang tepat. Keberanian dan kejujuran Colin Powell.

Keberhasilan Obama menjadi Presiden AS, sebagian dirintis dan disumbangkan olej Powell selain oleh Martin Luther King. Mereka adalah pemimpin kulit hitam Amerika yang luar biasa.
Beth E
Very interesting book, partly because it speaks to US foreign policy of more than a decade ago, and to see how far we've drifted from the clarity we had then. As for the leadership secrets, they aren't really secrets at all and ones that we've seen in various bosses from time to time. In the end however, always a good reminder.
Paul Phua
Interesting and quite easy to read book that gave some insights into the leadership style of a former General. Although he was a General, his style of leadership is that of a servant leadership style. He is one who took a no-nonsense but bottom-up, respect the people approach, something which I respect him for.
Jala
Feb 10, 2011 Jala rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Well Im thinking about it and i could get alot of books about people so i did but the only thing i am thinking about is reading this book The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell by Oren Harari
Kevin Kammeyer
Jan 06, 2014 Kevin Kammeyer rated it it was amazing
A must read for MBAs!
Dusty
Jul 20, 2008 Dusty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is rubbish. The author spoke to Colin Powell once, used Colin's well publshed leadership "secrets" added general, weak statements about "big companies" who do this or that. What a waste of time.
Ryan
Mar 27, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it
It was written in a conversational tone that at times didn't feel like the correct voice, but the lessons conveyed are meaningful and applicable to a wide range of work. Definitely recommend.
Eric Brooke
May 24, 2013 Eric Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, favourite
The good test to a leadership book is you step away from it and say I would like to be led by this person and it is clear how to replicate their style and behaviours
Keith
May 19, 2009 Keith rated it liked it
It was very interesting to gain some insight into the relational principles of one of America's most successful generals.
Joe
Sep 15, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
A leadership book that takes moments of Colin Powell's life and showcases the lessons he learned and leadership he developed.
Gary Haseldine
Nov 23, 2008 Gary Haseldine is currently reading it
One of the best tips for leaders to encourage their teams and make them more proficient.
Sean
Dec 17, 2011 Sean rated it it was amazing
Best leadership book so far. Clear concepts, real examples, inspiring character.
Dalvin
Jul 25, 2012 Dalvin rated it really liked it
Love it!! Leadership strategies that can be cross applied in business and in life.
Derek
Jul 02, 2010 Derek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
GREAT read! Flows well and contains great leadership insight throughout.
Othón León
Dec 20, 2012 Othón León rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I love his insights. Very, I mean, very recommendable.
Sherwin
Aug 03, 2010 Sherwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow reading but very good concepts. I really admire Colin Powell
Robert
May 29, 2008 Robert added it
I liked the chapter on taking time off.
Darcie
Oct 06, 2008 Darcie rated it really liked it
Many great leadership examples.
Roy
Mar 23, 2009 Roy added it
An extraordinary leader.
Jason
May 08, 2009 Jason rated it liked it
This is the review list at the back of the book:

01. Promote a clash of ideas : Don’t encourage sycophants.
02. Be prepared to piss people off : Don’t placate everyone.
03. Establish trust : Don’t establish your authority.
04. Walk the talk : Don’t talk a good name.
05. Pick the right people : Don’t pick people with resumes.
06. Listen : Don’t lecture.
07. Be vigilant in details : Don’t stick to the big picture.
08. Be a disorganizer : Don’t let sleeping dogs lie.
09. Check your ego at the door : Don’t f
  • I Dare! Kiran Bedi ; A Biography
  • It Works
  • Myne Owne Ground: Race and Freedom on Virginia's Eastern Shore, 1640-1676
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Martin Luther King, Jr., on Leadership: Inspiration and Wisdom for Challenging Times

“Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible.” 0 likes
“If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” 0 likes