Start by marking “I Know You Got Soul” as Want to Read:
I Know You Got Soul

I Know You Got Soul

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,586 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Clarkson tells the stories of the geniuses, innovators and crackpots who put the ghost in the machine. From Brunel's SS Great Britain to the awesome Blackbird spy-plane, and from the woeful – but inspiring – Graf Zeppelin to Han Solo's Millennium Falcon, they were built by people who love them.
Hardcover
Published October 28th 2004 by Michael Joseph Ltd

To ask other readers questions about I Know You Got Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know You Got Soul

Milan Trpkovic
Nov 25, 2016 Milan Trpkovic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spadam u onaj red tipičnih muškaraca, zaljubljenika u mašine i alate, tako da mi je ova knjiga prijala. Svojim satiričnim stilom i obiljem informacija, Klarkson ovom knjigom nudi jedno sasvim pristojno čitalačko uživanje za sve one koji vole mašine i engleski humor.
Dane Sørensen
Jan 10, 2013 Dane Sørensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given Clarkson's three-book pack a couple of Christmases ago, and this is the only one of the trio I finished. Clarkson is not an especially strong writer, his all-flash, no-substance writing style becoming grating after a while... except here, where it's softened by the genuine love Jeremy has for his subject. The grown man's engineering nous writes in locked step with his childlike sense of wonder, and you can't help smiling to yourself and thinking, "Yeah... that's right!" as he describ ...more
Marzena
Sep 22, 2014 Marzena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mix of science, technology, history, and British humour? Count me in!
Richard
Dec 30, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Clarkson. You may not. If you do, you've probably read it already. If you don't, there's no way you'll even pick it up - not with his increasingly lumpy face on the jacket. Read it and stick in your own random pauses. Think of him as Pinter for petrolheads.

He picks machines which he believes have something special about them and writes about each of them for a few pages. He has an enthusiasm for engineering but little evident knowledge. It doesn't matter. The enthusiasm wins you over and
Roman Pichlík
Poslechnul jsem si v ceske audioverzi a musim rici, ze to je docela vtipne. Pokud mate radi vtipky na adresu prakticky kohokoliv, kdo byl rivalem Anglie. Hlavne tedy nemce a americany. Nektere stroje byly nezajimave viz hydroplany nebo parniky, za to Concord, Spitfire nebo raketoplan byly pohlazenim po dusi posluchace.
Nick
Clarkson does something important with ideas. He throws them together, blends them and makes sure someone is being offended. I like him.

Here he argues that in a fight between the Enterprise, Stingray, Thunderbird 2 and the Millennium Falcon, the Falcon would win. Well this is important stuff and we need get to the bottom of it.
Aksu Piippo
Clarkson on ehkä maailman siedettävin konservatiivijulkkis. Mielenkiintoisia juttuja kaikenmaailman vehkeistä, älykästä huumoria, nopea lukea. Yksi tähti lähtee sukupuolittavasta kielenkäytöstä.
Stan Jackson
Hmmmm
Nice photos, one or two interesting subjects but pretty same all through the book. It's on it's way to the charity shop.
Soho_Black
I like Jeremy Clarkson. His dry wit and "grumpy old man" outlook, contrasting with Richard Hammond's more boyish enthusiasm, make "Top Gear" an enjoyable hour's viewing on BBC2 on a Sunday evening. It makes for a decent column in The Sun once a week as well, with this latter also proving that it's not just cars he can write about the same way.

He's been doing the columnist bit for a while now, though, as evidenced by his previous book "The World According To Jeremy Clarkson", which was essentiall
Aya
May 20, 2015 Aya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Jsme jediní, kdo má Clarksona jako audioknihu?

Pokud ano, mohou nám mezinárodní kolegové závidět. Pro nás Čechy je namluvena Clarksonovým dabérem, tedy stejným hlasem, který známe z Top Gearu - hlasem Zbyška Horáka.

Kniha samotná sestává z 22 kapitol pojednávajících o historii a kuriozitách Jeremyho oblíbených strojů. Můžete se tak dozvědět spoustu zajímavostí o letadlech, ponorkách, lodích, vzducholodích, vlacích i autech a navrch ještě o Kalašnikovu a Millenium Falconu.

Více mě bavily kapitoly na
Andrew Ives
A very easy-going, spaced out kind of a read that will last you no time at all. As JC fairly sprints through a varied array of topics from cars to steam trains to spacecraft, there are a few occasions to smirk and a few historical facts and figures which might cause you to say "Well I never!" very quietly to yourself in a Top Trumps kind of way. The colour plates in the middle are a welcome addition although some bespoke captions might've been nicer. I guess the thrust of this book is to start a ...more
Barbra
Jul 04, 2010 Barbra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy Clarkson is someone, like Simon Cowell, who you either like or hate. I just love his sense of humour and he loves one of my favourite machines - the SR-71 Blackbird.

Back Cover Blurb:
It will come as no surprise to anyone that Jeremy Clarkson loves machines. But it's not just any old bucket of bolts, cogs and bearings that rings his bell. In fact, he's scoured the length and breadth of the land, plunged into oceans and taken to the skies in search of machines with that elusive certain somet
Oscar
Jul 16, 2012 Oscar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jeremy Clarkson is the "Marmite" of the celebrity world. You either love him or you hate him. He got his writing skills hike he was a journalist, then after becoming famous through the early "Top Gear" tried to quit and become a writer. While he was never successful in quitting, much of his writing was still successful anyway, and his rants about dentists became acquirable in writing. While he can be an inconsiderate oaf, or a racist pillock, most of the stuff he does is great. "Top Gear" would
Anthony Eaton
If you like Jeremy Clarkson, and don't find him to be an insufferable, smug, overexposed git, then you'll like this. I like Jeremy Clarkson and so by extension I enjoyed this book, even though I suspect it's not so much a book as a cobbled together collection of his various newspaper and magazine material. I know several people who can't bear Clarkson for - they claim - the reasons outlined above but for my money, the fact that he:

a)Has a brilliant sense of comic timing
b)Doesn't take himself (or
Jim
Dec 29, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
….although Jeremy Clarkson's enthusiasm for his machines is sometimes irritatingly childish. I tended to agree with his thesis that some machines do seem to have a soul. The Spitfire, the Rolls, the 747 and the Blackbird. Some of his other choices were a bit more suspect - the AK47, the B52 (although he admits this has a dark soul if anything) and an Alfa Romeo. Cracking photos compensated for a badly edited, rushed out for Christmas, book that I think would have been better as a documentary and ...more
Patrick Neylan
Sep 24, 2011 Patrick Neylan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
If you hate Clarkson, you'll hate this. Goes without saying, really.
But if you like Clarkson, you still won't love this. It's alright, but Clarkson's charm (such as it is) comes in his conscious, deliberate oafishness. And while this book includes a lot of his trademark humour, it doesn't come over so well in print as it does in real life. What's more, there isn't as much of it, since (bless him) Jezza is actually talking about what makes him enthusiastic.
So this book really is for the lovers
Chris
Aug 04, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading his 'Word According to...' books. I was rather disappointed but I expect like minded Clakson-esque petrol heads the world over or technology or engineering geeks would adore this book. He does give some great explanations as to why he has chosen the different machines he has put in the book and you are totally convinced of his convictions but the material didn;t really interest me. Was worth reading from an education/informative point of view but not particularly entert ...more
Lisa Scullard
Mar 12, 2013 Lisa Scullard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a big fan of Top Gear and Clarkson's wit, I didn't know if his books would live up to expectations, but I'm really glad I took the plunge. This is the first I've read, and as a combination of industrial history, anecdote, disaster-movie-style real life and humour, this really delivers. You don't need to be an expert on the fundamentals of physics and engineering to follow the narrative, and it's a great insight onto iconic design and the personalities of its creators. Will definitely pick up ...more
Jessica
Pretty interesting read, but mr Clarkson sure is an acquired taste. Sometimes his humour hits right and makes you chuckle to yourself, while other times it simply makes you wanna punch him in the face for being such an ass. Nevertheless, I learnt a lot about big machines and it was an easy and quite enjoyable read, that is if you ignore some of the more frustrating jokes. Not a game changer but an alright book for sure.
Kara
Jan 31, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the spirit to which it was intended - a love letter from a great machine enthusiast to the great machines of recent times.

If you have trouble setting aside judgement on machines of war and pollution, give it a pass. This book is totally free of balance and reasoned analysis. But the writing is funny, the stories are interesting and it all comes together to keep the pages flipping.

An all around good time.
Rebecca
May 24, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read about unique machines throughout history and fiction. Entertaining and not very difficult or technical, great for a layman.

-Edit July 2016-
I have to say not very memorable because I just went to add it to my currently reading only to discover that I had already read it. I was already several chapters in on this (what turned out to be) second read.
Daniel Bratell
A nice book to have for those 5 minutes when you feel like reading but don't want to dig into something that is hard to get out of, or that requires a long time to recover from. It helps if you like gadgets and meaningless machines too, because "soul" is something connected to machines that are not just working, helpful machines.
AndrewP
Jul 07, 2010 AndrewP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting series of essays about various machines that stand out from the crowd and what makes them special. Quite interesting as a lot of the things reviewed are not necessarily the best of their kind, but they have something that sets them apart from rest. Here's a couple of examples to think about; Concord, SR-71 Blackbird, The Yamato and the Spitfire.
Luce
Slyšela jsem audioverzi knihy od vydavatelství OneHotBook. Namluveno přímo českým hercem, který Clarksona dabuje. Některé zajímavosti jsou dobré, místy to docela pobavilo.
Nesleduji Clarksonův pořad, takže interpretace pana Horáka mi místy přišla afektovaná. Ale příznivcům se bude pravděpodobně líbit :)
Každopádně, není to špatné.
Leonie
May 04, 2012 Leonie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book between packing to return home to London from Sydney. It was the sort of short, sharp and snappy writing you expect from Clarkson and the subject matter was not even something I would usually care to read about. I just really do like his style of writing. I've left this with my Dad to read as I was able to finish reading it in a day
Zuza
Sep 11, 2016 Zuza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
,,Když se trochu opiju, jakžtakž chápu mentalitu milovníků letadel."

,,Jediná individuální poznávací značka, za kterou už jsem byl napůl rozhodnut vyhodit peníze, byla 'AK-47'"

Bylo to velmi zajímavé, akorát věčné poznámky na téma ,,Britové jsou nejlepší" člověka časem spíš začnou štvát.
Richa
Mar 13, 2016 Richa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD.

This book is a LOT of fun. And setting aside my fangirl moments, Clarkson has a tremendously fun voice -- passionate and joyful and persuasive. He got me to care about Kalashnikovs and the Hoover Dam. And that's saying something.

Would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Would even more definitely read more of his books!
Miroslav Mateev
Jun 22, 2011 Miroslav Mateev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. I love Jeremy Clarkson's style of writing. However one may dislike his "wimpyness". I saw the series on BBC - Inventions that changed the world, so I could see some of those machines he's talking about in action. It is a quick and pleasant read and I can recommend it to fans of him.
David Driscoll
Dec 29, 2015 David Driscoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cars, boats, air balloons, countries, politicians, motor sport, friends, family and life. It's all there and it should be read. How it comes across is unarguably superb. The vocabulary is beyond and descriptive writing makes the book not just funny but great to read.
Andrew Watson
May 27, 2016 Andrew Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great history, mixed with some great anecdotes, all with Clarkson's signature humour and his passionate "phwwooaah". You could really feel the love for the machines in each chapter. Not to mention all the interesting facts and history behind them. Loved this book.
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • As You Do: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Screen Burn
  • Articles of Faith
  • Advanced Banter: The QI Book of Quotations
  • The Funniest Thing You Never Said: The Ultimate Collection of Humorous Quotations
  • A World Without Ice
  • Perfect Lives
  • 400 Must-Have Words for the TOEFL
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000
  • Elizabeth
  • The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Confucius Cat Says...
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson...