Start by marking “Food Lover's Guide to Paris” as Want to Read:
Food Lover's Guide to Paris

Food Lover's Guide to Paris

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An internationally acclaimed authority on French cuisine, an award-winning cookbook writer, and restaurant critic for France's weekly International Herald Tribune, Patricia wells knows a thing or two about food in Paris. And what she knows she shares with one and all in her Food Lover's Guide To Paris, the book Bon Appetit calls "a must for every food lover."

It's been six
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 432 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Food Lover's Guide to Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Lover's Guide to Paris

Denis Vukosav
‘The Food Lover's Guide to Paris’ written by Patricia Wells is a well-made guide for finding best places for eating pleasures in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with a note that it will primarily be of use to those who are visiting Paris for the first time.

All people who have ever been to Paris will probably agree that it comes to a city where at the same time you can eat the best in the world, but also can be completely disappointed with quality, but especially in consideration w
Guinevere
Well, definitely not a book to read when you are hungry...or maybe, why not, the perfect book to read when you're hungry! I received this book via a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a really well-organized guide, by type of food purveyor and then broken down into neighborhoods, with price info, etc. Throughout the book there are many sidebars of info that can be useful while actually in Paris, and plenty that's fun to know even if a trip to Paris isn't in the works.

Sure, I wish there were more recipe
Rose
Reviews restaurants, cafes, chocolate shops, bakeries, pastry shops and markets. There is also a wonderful food glossary and some nice photos. Her purpose is to guide you to good food rather than bargains so many are priced on the high side, still an amazing amount of info and the glossary would be very valuable even to someone who has French. Her descriptions of the dishes are mouth-watering and she also includes a nice selection of recipes (which appear in the text near the review of the place ...more
Christy Cowell
What a great travel resource as well as fun reading from home! She describes restaurants so well, using specific and evocative language. Great resource also for food shopping, kitchenware stores, etc. I like the fact that there are regular updates to the book's app and Kindle version, so you're notified when key details like contact info for a restaurant have changed.
Melissa Mcmasters
An excellent guide to eating in Paris. I took quite a few of her recommendations on my first trip there this fall, and didn't have a single bad meal in the city. Highly recommended!
Susie
A very thorough and delightful guide to dining in Paris. I love how it is divided by type of establishment. If you want to find a chocolate shop in the 8th Arr., just jump to the chocolate shops section. Love also all the practical information included with each review so you know if you're going to break the bank or not or where to dine on a Sunday. Don't read this while hungry.
Tig
Excellent resource, even if the reader has never been to Paris and has no plans to travel there anytime in the near future. The recipes that I tried from the book were delicious, the behind-the-scenes stories about the various eateries and their owners were very interesting. I liked that there was a soupçon of history added to the mix. I am adding this book to my Wish List of books that I would like to own a copy of.
Catherine
It's great to have an updated version to prep for my next trip to Paris. This helps you pick and choose based on your tastes and budget.
Beth
I used this in Paris it was most helpful! Emily and I actually went to a couple of the recommended places!
Lynne Martin
Wonderful guide - a big help to us, particularly in August when so many restaurants are closed.
Liz De Coster
Interesting, but not quite what I was hoping in the restaurant price ranges.
Sandy Hall
I recieved this as an early read via netgalley. This book made me BEG my husband to consider a trip to Paris! I wish I had access to such a detailed guide with personalized suggestions and glorious descriptions when I had moved to Germany many, many years ago. It covers so much more than just food, it explains cultural differences and allows the vacationer to have a truly well rounded idea of what they can expect.
Erik
Pure candy! Delightful descriptions by Arrondissement. And recipes too. Nice attention to the sorts of dishes that are distinctive of French cooking: game, truffles, huitres, duck and such. Helpful glossary in back. Update: I have now been to several of her suggestions and they all worked out well. Just my own 2 centimes: I wouldn't be too picky about getting oysters from those tiny places with 5 or 6 tables, since Paris is covered in good oyster bars.
Doug Schmidt
This was my primary tour guide through Paris. Not only does it list restaurants to eat at but also bakeries, cheese shops and specialty shops you don't want to miss such as Dehllerin for their copper cookware unchanged in appearance it is right off of a postcard!
Linda
Even if you never go to Paris, Patricia Wells' food guides are good reads. Next to Julia Child, Wells is my second favorite food guru of all things French.
Jill
The recipes in the book was the hidden gem. Too much restaurant choices in it for a vacationer's trip to Paris.
Alice
More pre-trip research... bought used on amazon, now lives on my cookbook shelf - for the recipies
Lauren Stutzmonkey
the best cookbook writer! ex-pat american, knows everything about france and french food.
coffeealias
Informative, but simplistic. Almost reminiscent of a Michelin guide.
Marilyn
Feb 09, 2015 Marilyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marilyn by: back of Mastering the art of french eating
Shelves: paris
Lots of great places listed all by arrondisements.
Kirk
This was my guide on my first ever visit to Paris in 1990.
Chris
One never stops reading this book. It is the definitive guide on where to eat well in the city of light.
azgemfoodie
azgemfoodie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Terrea
Terrea marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • Forever Paris: 25 Walks in the Footsteps of the City's Most Illustrious Figures
  • The Perfect Meal: In Search of the Lost Tastes of France
  • Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Rick Steves' Rome 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • New York
  • The Whole Fromage: Adventures in the Delectable World of French Cheese
  • Food Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • The Wine Bible
  • Mastering the Art of French Eating: Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris
  • To Have and Have Another: A Hemingway Cocktail Companion
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Simple French Food
  • Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
Patricia Wells (born 5 November 1946 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is a cookbook author and teacher who divides her time between Paris and Provence. Her book Patricia Wells at Home in Provence (1996) won the James Beard Award for Best International Cookbook. Wells is the only American and the only woman to be a restaurant critic for a major French publication, L'Express (1988–1991). She was also a rest ...more
More about Patricia Wells...
Bistro Cooking The Paris Cookbook The Provence Cookbook We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France Vegetable Harvest: Vegetables at the Center of the Plate