Start by marking “Lodestar (Firestar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lodestar (Firestar, #3)

Lodestar (Firestar #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the early years of the twenty-first century, humanity has progressed into space, having established a permanent presence with LEO (Low Earth Orbit) Station. Science and commerce in space are booming and humanity's future looks bright. But one man's desire for vindication and revenge could end it all.

Lodestar chronicles the complex conflicts-political, personal, and scie
Published April 15th 2001 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lodestar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lodestar

Jamie
This is the third book in Flynn's near-future (and consequently dated, now) science fiction series about the development of private space exploration initiatives. This entry takes us through the years 2015-2017, when travel to and from low Earth orbit is commonplace and there are multiple space stations in orbit as well as facilities on the moon.

Mariesa Van Huyten's obsession over the possibility of a civilization-destroying meteor impact seems to be justified by the discovery of several near-Ea
Chris
I was happy to see Mr Flynn ease up on the Randian philosophy in this installment of the series. Yet, the story seemed unnecessarily drawn out - I kept hoping that he would 'get to the point'. Also he seems all too enthused with feeling clever for writing long winded, pedantic recitations of his version of computer hacking, filled with lots of his invented jargon. It reminded me a bit of O Henry's penchant for using big words to impress his readers, not realizing that he used them incorrectly. ...more
Jacob
I was pretty disappointed with this book. It didn't really contribute to the overall story developed in the first two books. The author tried to imagine and create a different culture. He made up a lot of words and slang for this. Unfortunately rather then enrich the world it only succeeded in confusing me. "It's the genuine bean", "he's bone", "I'm not that herbie". It was hard to tell if these were good or bad. Or if it was relative to the speaker and subject.
Also, the author explores futurist
Alex
"Lodestar" is book 3 of the Firestar series by Michael Flynn. It was OK. It did not continue the action scene from the ending of the second book but chose to continue with the general character development.

The Story: A manned probe is sent to a near-Earth asteroid. We also follow Jacinta Rosario, a new cadet hoping to fly in space. She is different though. She belongs to a group called the Silver Apples who have trained her in how to maintain her chastity. That training comes into play in severa
Andreas
Near future SciFi has seldom been done better. Flynn takes us on an epic journey only hinted at in the humble beginnings of the first book. A millionairess has a hidden fear, almost an obsession. She is afraid that an asteroid has the potential to wipe out humanity by striking the Earth. While her fear is no doubt well founded, it takes extreme expressions in her, and she uses her fortune to build up a huge aerospace industry. The series consists of:

* Firestar
* Rogue Star
* Lodestar
* Falling
Shaft
An excellent instalment in one of my favourite non tie in sci-fi series.
Brian Maicke
The third of Flynn's near future space flight saga. This book was a slight departure from the space flight infrastructure building of the first two books, as Jimmy Poole featured prominently. The result is that a large portion of the book was an internet thriller type novel. Still a good read, but it did not resonate with me as the previous books have. Still, the ending was strong and I look forward to reading the conclusion of the series.
Peter Brander
Number 3 is a cheat. It is a completely different story, which involves some of the characters from the first two books. But between the story chapters, we get some central new facts, turnings and characters. Michael Flynn could just as well have put those pages into the beginning of book n. 4. But he didn't.

Oh, well...
Ben
The near-future (2030s) science was all right, but the book kept trying to be a harlequin romance novel, all "warm, yielding flesh" and "urgent thrusts". This, combined with the fact that there were so many characters that most of them were caricatures, made things more than a little comical at times.
Mark Krueger
The beginning of this book is a bit different from the first two in the series. At first I wasn't enjoying it as much as the earlier books. By the middle I was thoroughly enjoying it -- and this continued through to the end. It's a great read; and I'm thoroughly impressed with Michael Flynn.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Several new characters are introduced. Some of the Space Academy kids are intriguing, but many of the others seem like they should have been active participants or at least appeared in previous books if they existed.
Annabel Cervantes
I think Flynn decided how he wanted this book 3 to end and just schlep everything else to fill the pages. Disappointing and a waste of time!
Keith Bell
Forgot about all the great quotes and ideas I got from this series. Glad I dug back into it.
Scott
Least favorite of the series.
Timothy Stevens
Timothy Stevens marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Segovia Smith
Segovia Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Jeff De Lance
Jeff De Lance marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Trevor Perrin
Trevor Perrin marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Metaplanetary
  • Angelmass
  • Eon / Eternity
  • Oceanspace
  • Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3)
  • Candle (Century Next Door, #3)
  • Recreatable: How God Heals the Brokenness of Life
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • The Forlorn Hope
  • An Exchange of Hostages (Under Jurisdiction, #1)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • Against Infinity
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • Encounter with Tiber
  • Genesis

Michael Francis Flynn (born 1947) is an American statistician and science fiction author. Nearly all of Flynn's work falls under the category of hard science fiction, although his treatment of it can be unusual since he has applied the rigor of hard science fiction to "softe
More about Michael Flynn...

Firestar (4 books)
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Falling Stars (Firestar, #4)
Eifelheim The January Dancer (January Dancer, #1) Firestar (Firestar, #1) The Wreck of The River of Stars Up Jim River (January Dancer, #2)