Start by marking “In the Country of the Blind” as Want to Read:
In the Country of the Blind

In the Country of the Blind

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In the nineteenth century, a small group of American idealists managed to actually build Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine and use it to develop Cliology, mathematical models that could chart the likely course of the future. Soon they were working to alter history’s course as they thought best. By our own time, the Society has become the secret master of the world. But n ...more
Published March 14th 2003 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about In the Country of the Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Country of the Blind

Jacqie
Sep 10, 2012 Jacqie rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
I have really enjoyed some of Michael Flynn's later work, but this one sure didn't live up to the standards that his more experienced writing sets.

The idea is great- that history can be quantified and predicted, and even changed, through scientific analysis. I'm all about the social sciences being the subject of a hard science fiction novel. I was all ready to read about past history and present-day manipulation of history and alternate history.

But didn't get that. Instead, I got one of the mo
David
Feb 03, 2010 David rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoyed Michael Flynn's In the Country of the Blind. This is a thoughtful thriller in the "secret society" vein, specifically the societies which have used the scientific study of history to predict and occasionally alter the flow of history. So it's the book that The DaVinci Code wanted to be.

[Aside: would people please stop calling him "da Vinci"? That merely means "of Venice" and is in fact not a surname - his name is Leonardo. "Da Vinci" is only useful if you're trying to differen
Grady McCallie
Jul 11, 2015 Grady McCallie rated it liked it
Flynn uses Asimovian psychohistory (or, as Flynn's characters put it, 'cliology', or 'political metaeconomy') as the engine that drives a thriller in the style of Robert Ludlum. That is, the sympathetic protagonist stumbles into a conspiracy that costs her nearly everything and sends her on the run, justifying every bit of paranoia she's ever had. The plotting is fine, but doesn't leave much room to explore the more interesting questions about how cliology works or could applied. However, Flynn ...more
bookczuk
Jun 15, 2009 bookczuk rated it liked it
Funny that Charles Babbage has come up in two books I read recently. This and The Witches of Chiswick (Robert Rankin). Very different books, but both deal with alternate historyies along the lines of "what if" Babbage's computer (which when built to plan a decade or so back really worked) had become popularized in Victorian England. Rankin's book is a bit on the light side (think Christopher Moore with a British flair). Still, this was a good read. Will pass along soon or wild release it.
Lee
Jan 04, 2015 Lee rated it liked it
The first time I've had to keep a piece of paper tucked in the book (that I eventually filled both sides of) to look up character names. I never had to do that even with Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables or Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, but in Flynn’s novel characters are briefly introduced, remain absent many pages, and then reappear in a different context with no hints to the reader as to where or even whether the character has previously appeared. Definitely not a book to listen to in the car ...more
Cam
Mar 23, 2016 Cam rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Early Flynn, edited a bit to get rid of some clunky terminology, but pretty good either way. Some innocents stumble on an actual conspiracy; people have been manipulating historical events secretly for over a century and are willing to kill to keep it a secret. Their latest scare is caused by an auto-didact former reporter cum-real estate developer when she and her architect start researching on of the original owners of a building they are remodeling. Their research coincides with other interna ...more
Jennifer Petkus
Jun 08, 2011 Jennifer Petkus rated it really liked it
Comparing one book to another is a lazy way to review a book, but forgive me because there’s something about Michael Flynn’s writing that conjures up other writers. When I reviewed The Wreck of the River of Stars I found an umistakable touch of Jane Austen. And In the Country of the Blind, I can’t help but be reminded of Isaac Asimov, Philip K.Dick, Umberto Eco and Eric Frank Russell, to name just a few.

But don’t for a second think that I find In the Country of the Blind derivative. It’s great s
Mortalform
Feb 13, 2013 Mortalform rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mortalform by: Lincoln
...How do you trace the fault tree of something that never occurred? Have you ever tried to prove something from the absence of negative evidence? p 37

“Justified? Who’s justice? Is a cornered rat justified when it bite? If an organization perceives a threat, it tries to protect itself. It’s a natural law of living systems. It doesn’t matter one whit if the system is a rat, the Mafia, or the Boy Scouts.” p 70

“...We Publicize and reward the behavior we want. We don’t coerce it. But people aren’
Brian Maicke
Nov 09, 2009 Brian Maicke rated it really liked it
More of an actiony thriller than science fiction, In the Country of the Blind details the story of a society that built a Babbage Engine and used it to calculate the course of human history. Think Foundation series but condensed to a single novel and set in a contemporary setting. There are a number of twists to keep the plot moving and quite a bit of action makes for a pretty fast read.

I had fun reading this one, but for my money would have preferred a bit more of the cliology (mathematical ana
David Monroe
May 10, 2014 David Monroe rated it liked it
this is the first book, and unfortunately I found his mechanics somewhat stiff, his prose uneven, and a plethora of cardboard characters. I found these to be distractions from a clever plot, and really excellent world-building. I'll definitely check out another of his books with a hope that he improves.
Liam
Apr 20, 2016 Liam rated it it was ok
A well-researched and interesting concept mired in a thoroughly unrewarding slog of a novel. A sci-fi thriller that fails to thrill, In the Country of the Blind is about as far distant from the pinnacle of brilliance that is Flynn's Eifelheim as it is possible to be.
Karen
May 02, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Apparently this was Flynn's first book, constructed by expanding and updating a previously published novella. So I have to cut him some slack. The premises are interesting, the main characters are interesting, but it doesn't seem to come to a satisfactory conclusion.
Jonathan
Mar 14, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I read this around 1990 in Analog Sci Fi/Fact magazine, and it stuck with me so strongly, I read others in the last 25 years looking for it. Now enjoyed it thanks to Mother-in-law, birthday, and a used book store that advertised online.
Jacob Jackson
Feb 06, 2015 Jacob Jackson rated it it was amazing
One of the best book written on prehistory. Absolutely amazing storyline, and the research at the end is phenomenal.
Don Rea
Jun 16, 2007 Don Rea rated it liked it
This is one of those works with an extremely promising premise that never quite gets lived up to. Flynn spends so much thought and energy working out the realistic implications of his premise - a secret society that is heir to a mathematical science of predictive history - that he sort of forgets to tell a story. Which is a real shame since some of his characters are fascinating, and a couple of scenes hinging on their interactions are so well told that one can't shake the feeling that a really ...more
Elizabeth Hunter
Dec 13, 2009 Elizabeth Hunter rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
This is an interesting exploration of the potential science of "cliology," the science of history. Flynn creates some fun characters, but spends too much time arguing about the ethics of meddling with the course of events and not enough developing them. The proliferation of secret societies is an interesting idea, but creates a great confusion of characters and goals. I think this would have been better either as a shorter, more focused book, or a series with scope to explore all the different g ...more
Leons1701
Jan 26, 2015 Leons1701 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, alternate-history
Giving three stars, not so much for stellar writing, because for the most part, it isn't, but for some interesting thoughts about history and cliology. The sort of predictive cliology that forms the foundation (heh) for the novel may well never be possible, but we can spot and sometimes successfully project larger trends.

I'd read this some years ago, it's interesting to note that the only things that stuck with me were the opening scene and a general sense of the conclusion. Didn't even recall a
John Carter McKnight
Sep 04, 2012 John Carter McKnight rated it really liked it
Secret societies using Babbage Engines to predict and manipulate history are accidentally exposed, launching a war of spy-vs-spy, with a few intrepid folks caught in the middle. Sort of a cross between Asimov's Foundation series and a spy novel, with a long academic supplement at the end on the use of statistical methods for predicting historical trends.

A must read for the STS crowd. A weak conclusion, and the heroine's definitely in Mary Sue territory, but Flynn pulls off this blend of adventur
Ken Eveleigh
An interesting take on the subject of psychohistory; more than one secret group tries to direct the course of history by using the mathematics of "cliology" to understand the trends in the population and then identify the nodes where a simple deletion of one person or thing is likely to change the direction that the society is taking, ostensibly to improve the society but also to make money with the advance knowledge. Too many fingers in the pie causes lots of problems.
Andreas
May 18, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok
Michael Flynn‘s first novel, in which he presupposes that the difference engine proposed by Charles Babbage in the early 1800′s (a sort of mechanical computer) was actually built, and used by a secretive society to calculate the future, then influence the history of the world. It is a half-decent thriller that unfortunately gets bogged down towards the middle in an overcomplicated web of conspiracies.

Greg
Apr 24, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Fans of Jared Diamond will like this book. The basic premise is that Charles Babbage acutally built a working computer and was part of a secret society that used statistics to predict the future. The society then worked behind the scenes to attempt to avert it. The appendix references a bunch of books and papers on the subject of predicting social movements.
Diana
Sep 22, 2008 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you found out that a secret cabal was dictating the path of history? Now, what if the secret cabal found out they weren't the only one?

Flynn's characterizations have definitely improved - this is an earlier work where he wasn't quite so skilled. While the character development is often done with a heavy hand, the plot is very engaging.
Tom Allman
Jul 06, 2015 Tom Allman rated it it was ok
This book was on my "to read" list for so long that I had forgotten who or where that I had gotten the reccomendation. I'm halfway through with a Library copy and I think I might just stop here. That is not to say that I may not finish it some day, but it's just not grabbing me. Great idea, but not well executed, in my opinion. I tried.
Andrew Campbell
Disappointed. Really like this writer's blog, find the premise intriguing. Couldn't make it through more than about 50 pages... prose is unbearable. Characters as mouthpieces, endless exposition... kind of book that has a lengthy appendix, complete with charts and equations, to explain the ideas behind it all.
Bob
Jun 09, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
This is a work of historical fiction, based on the premise that in the time of Babbage, some "Babbage engines" (mechanical computers) were built and used to predict and control the course of history by a secret and ruthless cabal. Or was there more than one? It is an interesting and action-packed story.
Jenn
Jun 01, 2009 Jenn rated it did not like it
I was disapointed in this one. The plot seemed interesting--kind of like Minority Report. But, it was kind of "cheesy" couldn't get into the characters and returned it to the library after only reading about 1/2 (just couldn't finish).
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Dates approximate; a re-read. It's an interesting exploration of a premise that SF has seen before, and there are some interesting characters. But it also seemed like there is a bit of a Chekhov's Army problem - so many secret societies.
Bob(by)
Jan 09, 2008 Bob(by) rated it liked it
A book about a secret society controlling history due to the development of a science that can predict the future. Sounds like Foundation, huh? Well, sort of. It's more conspiracy theory thriller than anything else.
Robert
Apr 22, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok
Ok. The essay included as an appendix, "An Introduction to Cliology," was a fascinating read on historical trends and the possibility of historical predictions. More interesting than the novel, actually!
Pat
Dec 15, 2008 Pat rated it it was ok
babbage engine, cliology and psychohistory. Think Asimov's concepts taken to a different angle. But makes me think a little of Da Vinci code with the various factions warring.
  • Psychohistorical Crisis
  • The Silk Code (Phil D'Amato, #1)
  • Singularity's Ring
  • Cold Allies
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • The Hercules Text
  • Desolation Road (Desolation Road Universe, #1)
  • Reclamation
  • Bones of the Earth
  • Golden Fleece
  • The Bohr Maker
  • In War Times

Michael Francis Flynn (born 1947) is an American statistician and science fiction author. Nearly all of Flynn's work falls under the category of hard science fiction, although his treatment of it can be unusual since he has applied the rigor of hard science fiction to "softe
More about Michael Flynn...

“They're trying to breed a nation of techno-peasants. Educated just enough to keep things going, but not enough to ask tough questions. They encourage any meme that downplays thoughtful analysis or encourages docility or self indulgence or uniformity. In what other society do people use "smart" and "wise" as insults? We tell people "don't get smart." Those who try, those who really like to learn, we call "nerds." Look at television or the press or the trivia that passes for political debate. When a candidate DOES try to talk about the issues, the newspapers talk about his sex life. Look at Saturday morning cartoon shows. Peasants, whether they're tilling fields or stuffing circuit boards, are easier to manipulate. Don't question; just believe. Turn off your computer and Trust the Force.

Or turn your computer on and treat it like the Oracle of Delphi.

That's right. They've made education superficial and specialized. Science classes for art majors? Forget it! And how many business or engineering students get a really good grounding in the humanities? When did universities become little more than white collar vocational schools?”
8 likes
“She looked in the mirror and her hopes fell. “Our friend is behind us again and he’s coming up fast. Closing the distance.”

Then he knows we’re on to him.”

Christ! He’s got a gun, Red! He’s stuck his arm out the window.”

Don’t worry,” Red told her. “Shooting a pistol left-handed from a moving car at another moving car at sixty miles an hour at this distance? Hell, he’d be lucky to hit that mountain.”

There was a sharp crack and the rear window disintegrated into flashing shards. Something buzzed in the air between them and smashed into the tapedeck. Fee howled and ducked into his console.

Unless,” Red continued thoughtfully, “that’s Orvid Crayle behind us. He’s very good.”
2 likes