Start by marking “Values of the Game” as Want to Read:
Values of the Game

Values of the Game

"In many ways basketball was a lens through which I looked at life—I had learned to make judgments about character from what I saw players do on the court."—Bill Bradley Bradley, former U.S. senator and presidential candidate and member of two championship New York Knicks teams, returns to the scene of his first career, and first passion, in Values of the Game. In ten esss ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Values of the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Values of the Game

Brugge
Mar 12, 2010 Brugge rated it liked it
If you are a Bill Bradley fan this is a interesting book. Really intertwines life lessons that can be learned through competitive sports. Well written and a quick read.
Mike
Jun 29, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: intelligent basketball fans who get all weepy when they think about the game.
I immediately thought "I would love to give this to my future son one day" after reading Values of the Game.

It's a but mawkish, perhaps overwrought at times but is still for the most part well written ode to basketball, life and the lessons therein.

It was nice to read the words of a articulate, intelligent pro athlete.
Adam
Mar 07, 2009 Adam rated it it was ok
Some good concepts, good stuff maybe to talk about if you are a basketball coach (wink, wink) but overall it was kinda boring. Bradley was a better basketball player than author. The book kinda jumps around too much and didn't hold my interest very well.
Cade
Jan 06, 2016 Cade rated it really liked it
This book talks about Bill Bradley and his journey from a little kid to a champion with the New York Knicks. Along the way he talks about the core values of the game and how he got his character and how he can see other peoples character by seeing how they act on the court. He teaches how to be a great basketball player mentally and how to be unselfish with your teammates to have your team take their game to the next level. I would recommend this book to whoever wants to learn about basketball. ...more
David Barney
May 06, 2015 David Barney rated it liked it
Good general advice. Good for those that coach young athletes.
Jack
Jul 04, 2016 Jack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed
A good read that is as much a business and/or motivational book as it is a basketball book. Sen. Bradley discusses ten items that are valued in basketball and explains them in a manner that can foster broader applications of the values.
Art
Jun 29, 2008 Art rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
One of several books written by the man who should have been president. I have given copies of this book to my girls JV basketball team. It's a nonpreachy discussion of values that ensure success in basketball and in life.
Eric
May 03, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
What a remarkable collection of Knickerbockers that was ... I will always remember the 'second language' that was used within that team from this book ... which like hundreds of others, I no longer have a copy of :(
Matthew Weymar
Jan 28, 2013 Matthew Weymar rated it really liked it
Shelves: basketball
Bradley explores the intersection of basketball and character. Apt not only for coaches and athletes, but also for parents, teachers and young people generally. Lots of good stuff in here.
Big
Jul 07, 2008 Big rated it liked it
Bradley was a true basketball renaissance man. His transformation from basketball star to successful senator just provides a small glimpse into the talents of this gentle man.
Glenn
Aug 13, 2009 Glenn rated it liked it
Short read with lots of wonderful athletic pictures. Bradley talked about his athletic career, but also about race relations in and out of sports. Very good.
Clint Link
Jul 13, 2007 Clint Link rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Might be my favorite basketball book. Bill does a great job relating life, politics and basketball together.
Ron
Apr 28, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
Good Book...interesting perspective about life and basketball by Bill Bradley.
Tedi31
May 17, 2013 Tedi31 marked it as to-read
Bought: April 11, 2013
Location: Booksale (Megamall)
Price: P115
Ben_vang
Apr 30, 2010 Ben_vang rated it liked it
I want to learn more about the game
Jay
Nov 05, 2007 Jay rated it it was amazing
The best book on basketball EVER!
Jose
May 21, 2008 Jose rated it it was amazing
for basketball lovers.
Dave Mevis
Jan 21, 2008 Dave Mevis rated it it was ok
2000 Presidential campaign.
Ayanna
Ayanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Damjan Stefkov
Damjan Stefkov rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Coach Sutt
Coach Sutt rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Julia Rifici
Julia Rifici marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
Laura Foster
Laura Foster rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016