Start by marking “Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!” as Want to Read:
Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Clap your hands and tap your feet to renowned wildlife artist Jim Arnosky's adorable and catchy new song/picture book that celebrates animals engaged in everyone's favorite daily activity -- eating!

If you were a wild raccoon,
You'd hunt at night by the light of the moon.
You'd catch some crawdads where they crawl,
And gobble them up -- shells and all!

From a hungry crocodile's...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

Miss Fox's Class Shapes Up by Eileen SpinelliMy Five Senses Big Book by AlikiHealthy Kids by Maya AjmeraYummy! by Shelley RotnerThe Book of ZZZs by Arlene Alda
Preschool-Healthy Kids
7th out of 10 books — 4 voters
One Day in the Woods by Jean Craighead GeorgeA Log's Life by Wendy PfefferA River Ran Wild by Lynne CherryDown, Down, Down by Steve JenkinsCoral Reefs by Jason Chin
Picture Books About Ecosystems
28th out of 64 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Peacegal
This eating-themed book showcases a variety of animals, from raccoons to great white sharks, hunting for their preferred prey. On one hand, it’s good that the author showed that carnivorous animals are not “bad” animals—a message that needs to be taught in the midst of widespread extermination of coyotes and other species. I also like that the author included unpopular and misunderstood species, as well as those who are more instantly recognizable.

I don’t, however, understand why the author incl...more
Jessi
I was so excited about this book: fun title, food books are usually good, animals were involved, and a CD was included. I was SURE this book would be great for a storytime (rhyming text and all that.)
The first animal we encounter is a raccoon. Fine. A nice little verse about a raccoon.
The second one is about a crocodile who is chasing some ducklings. And not in a cute funny way. He is about to eat them. It weirded me out, and I couldn't finish the book. Don't even think about reading this if yo...more
Tricia
was that a look of HORROR i spied on steve's face as he read this aloud to the girls on mommy's sickbed? could it have been the squid tentacle hanging out of the whale's mouth...oh yeah, the same one as was on the cover that we both completely missed?!?! never ever a readaloud to library children--lawsuit for wounding child's tender psyche.
Kate Hastings
I think the whole circle of life thing and eating ducks isn't really something for a children's book. I mean-- yes it happens. Everything has to eat. I think the fact that there is a little tune that goes with it is a little weird. And I usually like books that are a little off the appropriate track. Skip this one.
Lauren
This book was about the cycle of life and animals eating. I didn't like this book at all. I think that it was inappropriate for children to read because it talks about killing animals. I know that this is a cycle of life but the pictures used where not appropriate for a young child's eyes.
Amanda
This is interesting because most kid's books don't show reality when it comes to the food chain. This one does in a rhyme. There's a CD included which I haven't yet listened to. When we do, I'm sure it will become a favorite-all-the-time kind of thing just for its multimedia aspect.
Julie
This is a cute song and has big, bold illustrations to accompany the verses. Unfortunately, my copy does not have the CD but I am searching for it and looking forward to hearing the song. This may make a fun musical addition to a food themed storytime.
We had the CD that went along with this book so we listened to the guy sing the story. It was super cute about what animals eat in the world. It puts a rated G twist on the food chain. It is a good book to teach kids, but not to scare them.
Auttumn C
Nice book to use to introduce food chains. It also comes with a song that you can find on youtube! The illustrations are great and captivating to the students. I would recommend this book to 1-2nd grades.
Jen
I am a terrible singer, but I have to admit, I really enjoy books that are put to song. This one even comes with a CD. We all eat to stay alive, just the cycle of life (poor little ducklings :(
Susan
I bet it helps a lot to hear the CD. I may do that next week unless it gets checked out. We had another new book that came with a CD - maybe I'll listen to them both.
Susan Erhardt
Interesting approach to the circle of life that even young kids will understand. I'm not sure about the crocodile gobbling up the baby ducks, but I like the book.
Morgan
I really liked this book except for when the crocodile eats the ducklings =(

I know it's real life but it's sort of a harsh reality for a readaloud.
Marti
Cool book - great pictures and neat way to make the food chain interesting and educational for young kids w/o being graphic and preachy.
Nancy Jo Lambert
In this book, that is actually a song, the animals are portrayed eating. Not particularly entertaining or fun.
Maryann
The book is, like it's title states, a fun song about eating. I've enjoyed reading it over and over!
Zonia
Simple book with CD/song about what keeps us alive - food! Great double-page illustrations.
Rebecca
The illustration saves this somewhere creepy book from getting a one star rating.
Shelli
The CD that came with this books was great. Fun song to sing with the kids.
Michelle
My daughter loves this book...we have read nightly for a week now.
Rebecca
This one was a hit...my son kept singing well after it was over.
Kari
a bit graphic, but the kids loved the accompanied song.
Emmeline Guest
A truly fun song/story about eating.

KC
KC added it
Sep 18, 2014
Katherine Salinas
Katherine Salinas marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra...more
More about Jim Arnosky...
Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators I'm A Turkey! Every Autumn Comes the Bear Babies in the Bayou Grandfather Buffalo