Start by marking “Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!” as Want to Read:
Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

Clap your hands and tap your feet to renowned wildlife artist Jim Arnosky's adorable and catchy new song/picture book that celebrates animals engaged in everyone's favorite daily activity -- eating!

If you were a wild raccoon,
You'd hunt at night by the light of the moon.
You'd catch some crawdads where they crawl,
And gobble them up -- shells and all!

From a hungry crocodile's
Published September 1st 2008 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gobble It Up! A Fun Song About Eating!

Peacegal
May 04, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
This eating-themed book showcases a variety of animals, from raccoons to great white sharks, hunting for their preferred prey. On one hand, it’s good that the author showed that carnivorous animals are not “bad” animals—a message that needs to be taught in the midst of widespread extermination of coyotes and other species. I also like that the author included unpopular and misunderstood species, as well as those who are more instantly recognizable.

I don’t, however, understand why the author incl
Jessi
Jun 25, 2012 Jessi rated it did not like it
I was so excited about this book: fun title, food books are usually good, animals were involved, and a CD was included. I was SURE this book would be great for a storytime (rhyming text and all that.)
The first animal we encounter is a raccoon. Fine. A nice little verse about a raccoon.
The second one is about a crocodile who is chasing some ducklings. And not in a cute funny way. He is about to eat them. It weirded me out, and I couldn't finish the book. Don't even think about reading this if yo
Kate Hastings
Oct 02, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was ok
I think the whole circle of life thing and eating ducks isn't really something for a children's book. I mean-- yes it happens. Everything has to eat. I think the fact that there is a little tune that goes with it is a little weird. And I usually like books that are a little off the appropriate track. Skip this one.
Tricia
Oct 15, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
was that a look of HORROR i spied on steve's face as he read this aloud to the girls on mommy's sickbed? could it have been the squid tentacle hanging out of the whale's mouth...oh yeah, the same one as was on the cover that we both completely missed?!?! never ever a readaloud to library children--lawsuit for wounding child's tender psyche.
Auttumn C
Nice book to use to introduce food chains. It also comes with a song that you can find on youtube! The illustrations are great and captivating to the students. I would recommend this book to 1-2nd grades.
Julie
Mar 09, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute song and has big, bold illustrations to accompany the verses. Unfortunately, my copy does not have the CD but I am searching for it and looking forward to hearing the song. This may make a fun musical addition to a food themed storytime.
Amanda
Jun 01, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is interesting because most kid's books don't show reality when it comes to the food chain. This one does in a rhyme. There's a CD included which I haven't yet listened to. When we do, I'm sure it will become a favorite-all-the-time kind of thing just for its multimedia aspect.
Lauren
Oct 17, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it
This book was about the cycle of life and animals eating. I didn't like this book at all. I think that it was inappropriate for children to read because it talks about killing animals. I know that this is a cycle of life but the pictures used where not appropriate for a young child's eyes.
Mar 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
We had the CD that went along with this book so we listened to the guy sing the story. It was super cute about what animals eat in the world. It puts a rated G twist on the food chain. It is a good book to teach kids, but not to scare them.
Morgan
Aug 14, 2008 Morgan rated it really liked it
I really liked this book except for when the crocodile eats the ducklings =(

I know it's real life but it's sort of a harsh reality for a readaloud.
Shelli
Oct 10, 2010 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The CD that came with this books was great. Fun song to sing with the kids.
Susan Erhardt
Interesting approach to the circle of life that even young kids will understand. I'm not sure about the crocodile gobbling up the baby ducks, but I like the book.
Marti
Sep 10, 2010 Marti rated it it was amazing
Cool book - great pictures and neat way to make the food chain interesting and educational for young kids w/o being graphic and preachy.
Jen
Jan 13, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
I am a terrible singer, but I have to admit, I really enjoy books that are put to song. This one even comes with a CD. We all eat to stay alive, just the cycle of life (poor little ducklings :(
The Brothers
Jan 30, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: eating, food
Its an okay book. Nothing special. Just a little ditty about how different animals eat different things to survive.

Illustrations are average.
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
The illustration saves this somewhere creepy book from getting a one star rating.
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This one was a hit...my son kept singing well after it was over.
Zonia
Feb 20, 2009 Zonia rated it liked it
Shelves: read-school
Simple book with CD/song about what keeps us alive - food! Great double-page illustrations.
Bethe
Mar 18, 2016 Bethe rated it really liked it
Love this food chain book - sung by the author - kids of all ages love it too!
Emmeline Guest
Oct 02, 2009 Emmeline Guest rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A truly fun song/story about eating.

Susan
Nov 07, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I bet it helps a lot to hear the CD. I may do that next week unless it gets checked out. We had another new book that came with a CD - maybe I'll listen to them both.
Lori
Nov 04, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
Read it in Preschool today, cute book...until the crocodile eats the delicious ducklings...its nature, but the kids were 3. Beautiful illustrations!
Elanor
Jun 18, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 12, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it it was ok
In this book, that is actually a song, the animals are portrayed eating. Not particularly entertaining or fun.
Michelle
Apr 16, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter loves this book...we have read nightly for a week now.
Maryann
Apr 09, 2010 Maryann rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
The book is, like it's title states, a fun song about eating. I've enjoyed reading it over and over!
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Ann Cooksey
Ann Cooksey rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra
More about Jim Arnosky...