Start by marking “Clickers” as Want to Read:
Clickers

Clickers (Clickers #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Click Click Click Click Phillipsport, Maine is a quaint and peaceful seaside village. But when hundreds of creatures pour out of the ocean and attack, its residents must take up arms to drive the beasts back. They are the Clickers, giant venomous blood-thirsty crabs from the depths of the sea. The only warning to their rampage of dismemberment and death is the terrible cli...more
Published by Delirium Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Clickers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clickers

Dan Schwent
Writer Rick Sychek plans on spending time in remote Phillipsport, Maine, to write his newest book, but his plans are derailed when he wrecks his car trying to avoid something in the road. Before Rick knows what's happening, Phillipsport is swarmed by the Clickers, strange scorpion-like crabs from the ocean's depths. Carnage ensues and the town fights for survival, not knowing that the Clickers are the least of their problems...

Clickers is a tribute to B-movies by J.F. Gonzalez and Mark Williams,...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. This was a very fast, fun read. Perfect for what it tries to be which is an homage to classic B-movie sf/ scare fest. The plot is tight, the monsters are very cool and I especially liked the what was behind the "clickers" coming to shore. This added a new depth to the story and made it very much worth the read.
Marvin
In the past month I have embarked on a quest to find the most disturbing horror novel ever. I have since encountered zombies, cannibals, mad doctors, werewolves, and even a redneck mutant psycho family. Now I have crabs.

These are not ordinary garden variety crabs. These suckers are huge and more like a cross between lobsters and scorpions. J.. F. Gonzalez's novel Clickers starts out as a tribute to those old mutant monster movies from the 50's and 60s. It has a great build-up as it sets the stag...more
Amanda Lyons
Have you ever found yourself happening on a movie in the middle of the night and decided to watch it without really knowing why? Maybe the first couple of minutes make you chuckle a little, the dialogue has a few bugs or the setting seems a bit hinky but despite yourself you stay tuned. The bugs stick with it a bit but as time goes on you don't really care anymore because this movie is pretty good and you're really starting to get interested. The hero who started as a goof is now pretty cool, hi...more
Adam Wilson
Clickers managed to exceed all of my expectations, and, believe me, I didn’t really have high hopes for a book about killer crabs. What made this book a five-star read for me wasn’t the violence, the interesting and deadly creatures, or the B movie feel, but the effort put into every single character in the book. I especially liked the main character, a long-haired horror writer who acts reasonabley to the devastating situation in which he finds himself. Jack, a comic book store owner, is also a...more
Tressa
Monica!
All right, friends. This is going to shock you, I’m sure, but Clickers (the “gore-soaked cult classic tribute to the giant monster B-movies of yesteryear”) is a terrible book.

In 271 pages, our authors

create idioms that I’m not sure are real (Can you “cast a wide berth”? Can you be in a “silent, screaming rage”?)

do that thing where they think they’re using the correct word but clearly aren’t (“Ripper clamored out of the seat and jostled to the rear to help”)

appear unsure of the proper use of “a”...more
William M.
4 AND ½ STARS

While you may ask yourself what a new book about giant killer crabs can bring to the table that author and crab legend Guy N. Smith hasn't already done -- or Roger Corman's 1957 Attack of the Crab Monsters? Well, the answer is - plenty! Clickers is an incredibly exciting ride with some wonderful new twists to the savage animals. Authors J.F. Gonzalez and Mark Williams create their own mythos, and throughout the book, propel you into a brutal war with some very nasty (and hungry) cr...more
Daniel
I've reached a point in my life where I now crave a true "B-movie" experience, as in: thick on plot, spiced with surprises, mixed together for the sake of fun and entertainment. The funny thing is, it's getting harder to find this balance in films or books, even as some contemporary artists re-tread favorite genre tropes. I wonder, sometimes, if earlier successes in this vein benefited from hungry creators who had to work with limited means...

To the book at hand: Gonzalez and Williams achieve, f...more
Bill
I thought this book was very good and an easy read. I don't have a lot of time to read and still finished this within a couple days. I am looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Shells Walter
Captain Kim Issac of the Lucky Mariner, feels the boat rock, thinking something they want is caught in their net, he looks to see what it is. Meanwhile, part of his crew go overboard, they scream, they don't return. The Captain tries to cut the net when he realizes there is something too large in there. But the creature attacks and soon Kim is lost with the water. And that is just the beginning...

Rick Sychek is a writer who while driving on the road hits something. He's not sure what, but he thi...more
Frank Errington
Last year, I read Primitive by JF Gonzalez. Loved it and once again, I've had a great time reading one of his books. This one was based on an idea of, and co-written by, Mark Williams, who passed away prior to publication. Whoever gets the credit, it's all well deserved. The writers take a B-Movie premise and fill it with believable characters and plenty of action.

When dealing with crazy creatures like the ones found in this work, it's easy to fail with a back-story that doesn't work or doesn't...more
John
I have gone back and fourth about reading this book because I'm a huge fan of Brian Keene's work and he has some input into the clickers franchise but i did not want to just jump into the series without reading the first one.

I'm glad I checked it out as It was like a Brian keene book, Nice solid fun horror/creature novel.

It was a pretty fast read compared to the last few titles i have read so that was a nice change of pace, I just found myself more into this world and wondering who would die nex...more
Scott Emerson
We pulp horror fans are an undemanding lot. Give us a cool premise, populate it with realisitc, three-dimensional characters, punctuate the action with some imaginative set-pieces, and tell your story in clear, colorful language. That's really all it takes to make us happy.

Of course doing that is harder than it looks, which is why we often have to settle for one or two of these crucial elements (and sometimes we don't get any at all, but that's grist for another rant). So when a book comes along...more
MK (Food actvist)
Dec 21, 2008 MK (Food actvist) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: extreme horror novel fans
Mike
The story of how a writer, local comic book store owner, waitress and others attempt to survive an invasion of carnivorous giant crabs into a small Maine town, and how things only get worse from there.

The book does a decent job of creating relate-able characters that you have some investment in seeing survive the ordeal they find themselves in. The tension of the slow emergence of the crabs from the sea to an all-out assault is handled well, and the action keeps u until the very end. My one majo...more
Tom Brown
The publishers of the current edition claim that this is an homage to B horror movies. Maybe that's the case, and I'm just too dense to pick up on the mockery, here. It reads more like a screenplay for such a movie instead of parody.

The book's "Forward" points out all of the trouble the author has gone through with copy editing and grammar in previous editions, yet the current edition of the book and even the very paragraph where he points this out are riddled with grammatical errors.

Given the...more
Trevor
Oct 30, 2013 Trevor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers with strong stomachs
Shelves: horror
Now THIS was a book to kick off the new year's horror reading with! I found it to be exciting right from the beginning and it didn't let up once. I'm off to read Clickers II, co-written by Brian Keene...and will look forward to the release of Clickers III.
Cinabru Hoffmann
Scenariu tipic pentru un horror de categorie B cinzecist, astazi clasic: creaturi intre crabi, homari si alte blestematii subacvatice - din nou Lovecraft are dreptate - care vin pe mal si sfarteca totul. Excesiv de vorace, teribil de rapace. Problema este ca nu sunt singure. Clicker-sii nu vin doar pentru imperechere si hrana. Fug de ceva. Si tot lovecraftian (de unde se vede ca indiferent tot la baza ne intoarcem) este si celalalt mare erou negativ multiplicat. Dark Ones. Nice...

Interesant, chi...more
Jarrod Scarbrough
What can be said about Clickers? Well, you can say it is an over the top homage to cheesy B movies. You can say it is full of some pretty heavy gore and violence. You can say it has some major structural flaws, but still manages to pack a punch. You can say there were some characters who were given too much page time and character development, only to be killed off. You can say that any horror fan who likes splatterpunk as well as B movies is going to love this one! You can also say that I absol...more
Rechan
The nicest thing I can say about this book is that there are no spelling errors. The premise is interesting enough, but the writing poor enough it made for a painful read.

Clickers is about a small town besieged by killer crab/scorpions, then something else. The author says the intent is to capture the feel of a B-movie, lots of schlock and gore. That's fine in theory - a B-movie can for instance be forgiven for silly plot conventions or dumb protagonists. But if the acting is painful and the eff...more
Richard Wright
I first read this book over a decade ago, when it was released in its first ebook edition (a floppy disk, for those who remember such things). I thought it was brilliant back then, but alas, when I wanted to reread it I found the my current laptop has no appropriately sized slots. Fortunately, the book has been in and out of print with various publishers since that time, and is now available in an affordable paperback edition from Deadlite Press. It's everything I remember. First though, I shoul...more
Kathy Jackson
Feb 05, 2012 Kathy Jackson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Kathy by: Goodreads
This book is 907 pages long. I started it yesterday and finished it today – needless to say, my eyes are a blurred mess. It takes a pretty great book to get me to read 907 pages within 24 hours…one doesn’t come along every day…or even every month.

It is quite the story – starting off quickly with the clickers arrival to shore and the killing begins. Those who survive the clickers are exuberant until the Dark Ones start coming ashore. What is left at the end is hard to believe but also the perfect...more
Steven Shroyer
Let me be up front here: I don't like giant monster stories, never have. Maybe it was that horrid Godzilla remake from the 90's, or the fact that I can't stand giant bugs or anything else. Maybe it was because of the bad Sci-Fi Channel Movies I read about in Fangoria. Whatever it is, just like Mecha Anime, I just can't get into giant monster stories. Well, strike that, I can get into one, this book.

Clickers is quite an odd book, not exactly a nature run amok novel nor a Lovecraft Mythos novel. I...more
Don Massi
Wow! I just tore through this book! I'd read 200 pages at a pop and not even realize it, that's how engrossing this book was. I'll admit I'm a huge fan of great monster movies like "Them" or "The Creature from the Black Lgoon", so a book that starts with a small Maine beach town being invaded by prehistoric crab scorpion hybrids is right up my alley. But this book just relentlessly portrays the horror of this invasion and what comes after. Let's just say there is a lot of vividly described blood...more
Michael
This book is about an invasion of giant crabs that destroy a small town in Maine. If you like books about giant crabs, towns being destroyed, and Maine, then this one is for you. There are two sequels, as well: Clickers II and Clickers III. I am looking forward to reading them both, and becoming as expert as I can on giant crabs that destroy towns in Maine. You could join me...if you dare.

As I finished this work of literature, I was reminded of one of my favorite lines from the much-missed Myste...more
Amanda
An author moves into a small town hoping to get through his writers block. Unfortunately writing is going to be the last thing on Ricks mind as Phillipsport gets overcome by prehistoric giant, stinging crabs with a taste for human flesh. So, that would be bad enough, right? Except even giant stinging crabs have something to be afraid of, and so begins the second onslaught of Phillipsport.

This book is great fun, full of B movie madness, but with plenty of death and gore for those who like that! A...more
Craig
At first glance this simply seemed to be a member of the schlock-monsters-running-amuck-and-killing-people genre, but it turns out to be considerably better than than the average B-movie fare. It has many of the standard cliches (for example the main character is a horror novelist), but the characters are all well-imagined and richly-drawn, and the writing itself is well-crafted. Gonzalez here has an understated, somewhat pastoral style; it's something like Guy Smith as chaneled by Clifford D. S...more
Cody
Read on my Nook. I wanted to start off the new year with a deep, thought-provoking book with nuanced characters and important life lessons. Then I saw Clickers and had to buy it instead. If the idea of a gore-soaked novel about killer scorpion crabs sounds awesome to you, read this and you'll enjoy it. I thought the book kind of jumped the shark a little at the mid-point, when it took the focus off the killer scorpion crabs, but overall it was such a fun read that I can't be too harsh on it.
Dustin Reade
an incredible, gore-fest novel with intense death scenes, Wicked Creatures, great characters, and so on. All around an awesome novel, and a welcome addition to any true horror fans library, provided that reader also likes the work of Guy N. SMith (to which this book owes a great deal), or cheezy b-movies as well. I am also very happy to know this is the first in a series, and cannot wait to read the others!
  • The Conqueror Worms
  • Dweller
  • The Killing Kind
  • Dead Sea
  • Slither
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Pines
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...
Survivor Clickers II: The Next Wave CLICKERS III: DAGON RISING Shapeshifter Clickers VS. Zombies