Start by marking “Bachelor Boys” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Boys

Bachelor Boys

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  486 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
All the warmth and love in Cassie's childhood came from the Darling family. Escaping from her own remote, chilly parents, Cassie reveled in the exuberant chaos she found at the home of the Darlings--two boys, a cheerful father, and a glorious mother, Phoebe, who always welcomed the lonely little girl next door.
Cassie is grown up now, living a suitable life with a suitable
Published June 27th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Boys

Limonessa
Aug 11, 2011 Limonessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a rather depressing experience with the umpteenth vampire book, I was looking for some shallow, vapid, preferably British chick lit that would hopefully keep occupied only 2 neurons of my brain.
I picked up this book, hoping that the cherries on the cover would be a sure sign of what I was looking for. And up to a certain page, it actually was kind of what I expected.

The premises were all there: we meet Cassie, an overachieving editor at a literary magazine and her boyfriend Matthew, an ove
Angie
Mar 03, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-uns
I picked this one up based on the recommendation of the trusty Emily of Emily and Her Little Pink Notes (may she blog again soon). Prior to Emily's review I'd never heard of Kate Saunders before and so went in knowing next to nothing but that it was a rather obscure British chick lit and Emily was awfully fond of it. And that's essentially enough in my book. I had a little trouble finding a copy, but then my Christmas elves came through for me once more and I received a copy of BACHELOR BOYS as ...more
Netty
Jun 01, 2013 Netty rated it it was amazing
I definitely wasn’t looking for it. I sure as hell didn’t expect to find it. This book as been sitting by my bed for six weeks, a library book with 3 renewals I was pretty sure I was going to have to renewal for a fourth time if I didn’t pick it up soon and read it.

So...I picked it up. I picked it up this morning; while the rain came down and the temperature dropped I picked it up with little or no enthusiasm. The cover told me it was a chick flit with a young adult theme. I read the back and f
Carla Jean
Feb 01, 2008 Carla Jean rated it it was ok
Shelves: readin2005
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'll go ahead and tell you: Even though this is mostly silly chick lit, it actually made me cry. Something about the author's portrayal of these men and their relationships with women just tore me up.
Ashley S.
Jan 14, 2014 Ashley S. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: one of my friends
Erika
May 25, 2009 Erika rated it liked it
This was a cute book in my opinion. There were some expected plots, but it kept my brain working. It left me thinking I knew what was going on, but some of my assumptions were totally wrong. I say if you're looking for a good beach read, this is a great choice. And I got it in the bargin bin so you probably can get a good deal for it.
Christina
Dec 03, 2008 Christina rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
I didn't really enjoy reading this one....It was hard to get into, depressing, and predictable. The cover was more interesting than the actual story....Don't waste your time!
ais ariani
cerita klasik persahabatan antara pria dan wanita, ditambah dengan kedekatan yang hangat antara Chasssie Shaw dan Keluarga Darling.

chassie Shaw merupakan wanita awal tiga puluhan yang lahir dari keluarga menengah di London. Masa kecilnya banyak dihabiskan di rumah tetangganya, keluarga Darling. dan tak heran yang ia anggap keluarga adalah bukan Bapak dan Ibu biologisnya, melainkan Phoebe, Jimmy dan kedua anak laki-laki mereka; Fritz dan Ben.

di buku ini digambarkan Chassie dimintai tolong oleh P
Erin
Oct 04, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janelle Mims, Christy Koerner
Recommended to Erin by: Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
A few months ago I was lamenting the current state of chick lit. It seems like a genre that was once exploding with great reads, died quickly with little to no forewarning. Emily shared my dismay and made a great recommendation of If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend, which I listed as one of my unexpected treasures of the Book Blogger Appreciation Week. When she recommended another chick lit title, Bachelor Boys I immediately set out to find it (which ended in a semi-embarrassing moment at the libra ...more
Anastasia Cynthia
Tampan tapi tidak berguna, begitulah Cassie Shaw menjabarkan perangai kedua putra keluarga Darling. Well, kehidupannya memang sempurna. Ia menjabat menjadi seorang editor kondang di sebuah redaksi majalah, flat milik pribadi, dan tak lupa seorang kekasih yang luar biasa menawan. Namun, hari yang tidak diinginkannya tiba, Phoebe Darling—ibu dari kedua teman masa kecilnya, wanita berumur senja, pengidap penyakit keras, pemilik tatapan sebisa mungkin memercikkan seutas semangat. Phoebe bukan sekada ...more
Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
I picked up this book years ago while I was in a bookstore, I had no idea who Kate Saunders was, I love cherries and the cover got my attention.

This it’s an obscure piece of chick-lit, unfortunately so because it’s a brilliant book, fresh and wise.

Phoebe Darling is dying of leukemia and worried about what will become of her ”boys” — 30-ish sons Ben and Fritz, sweet artistic types with no particular plans to leave home so she turns to Cassie for help. Cassie’s family used to live close to the Dar
Aileen
May 13, 2010 Aileen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
You know from the very beginning that Phoebe has cancer, and that she's dying from it. That is why when you read this and you start crying your eyes out, you know this is a great book. When an author can tell you what's going to happen, and you still don't want to accept it, and when you are forced to you start bawling, you know you have a great book. This is a GREAT book. I usually try to stay away from book with cancer in it, but since this was a Christmas gift, I had to read it, and I was SO ...more
Dewi
Jul 28, 2014 Dewi rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Kisah tentang seorang ibu menjelang sekarat, dua anak laki-laki yang masih lajang, seorang anak perempuan yang tumbuh dari keluarga minim sentuhan emosi, pacar keren tapi kurang terasa nyaman dan segudang sahabat perempuan.
Kate Saunders berhasil meramu cerita ini dengan menarik. Yang membuat berat adalah agak bertele-tele pada sisi pencarian jati diri Fritz.
Btw saya lebih suka judul : Darling Boys pada terjemahan bahasa Indonesia.
Sara Diane
Jun 05, 2008 Sara Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, reviewed
My sister lent me her copy and said it was a good book. Since my sister has fairly decent taste, I took it home. I started reading it on a lunch break to kill time. I couldn't put it down! I stayed up to 4 am reading and had to stop 30 pagesfrom the end due to sheer exhaustion.

The most shocking thing is that this book brought tears to my eyes on a couple of occasions. I didn't expect it, but Saunders made her characters so vivid that they touched me deeply.

Saunders is British and there are a f
Rie_dominique
suka ama covernya, suka juga sama cowok-cowok Darling.
udah ngerasa sih kalau Cassie bakal jadian dengan salah satunya.

kesal juga ama Fritz yang masih suka "hinggap" kian kemari itu ;(
Mark Gaulding
Dec 27, 2008 Mark Gaulding rated it really liked it
I must admit that Chick Lit is my secret indulgence (along with Gay Lit). I love books that transport me from my dreary existence (I'm male and gay). Sometimes they do it nobly. Sometimes they do it trashily (Merriam-Webster says it's a word: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictio...). This is somewhere in between. The characters and the prose are distinctly British. The boys are multi-dimensional and go through a transition that you don't usually see the male form do in Chick Lit. Ditto for the ...more
Kelly
Mar 30, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5
4.5 stars because Fritz was such a womanizer and Cassie allowed men to walk all over her and didn't seem upset enough when he was with someone else. But I absolutely couldn't put this book down once I started reading it.
Artha
Jun 15, 2014 Artha rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Bahkan buku yg gampang ditebak pun bisa menjadi bagus dalam bumbu cerita yg pas.
Jasmine Neldon
Apr 18, 2014 Jasmine Neldon rated it it was amazing
Seriously my new favorite book. Absolutely loved it from beginning to end. ...more
Oct 30, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Because sometimes you need a beach read in October...
Jun 28, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
So I picked up this book by British author Kate Saunders and a few chapters in thought it was pretty light--a chick lit version of Bridget Jones with a matchmaker reminiscent of Jane Austen's Emma as the main character. I'm so glad I kept reading--Saunders' characters are loveable AND flawed, and the book deals with heavy issues like death, grief, and the sale of a childhood home with such grace. Ultimately, the book is about the search for love and acceptance we all undertake. I'm looking forwa ...more
Monica
Jun 04, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
A somewhat slow read but a good one. And even though I predicted a lot of it, it was still worth the read. I laughed out loud AND a cried. Truly a sign of a good book.
Arifah Hikmawati
akhir cerita yang mudah ditebak :D
Kate (VerbVixen)
May 31, 2010 Kate (VerbVixen) rated it liked it
Bachelor Boys: I’m not talking about the tv show. I’m talking about the book by Kate Saunders. It’s definitely a chicklit book, but surprisingly well done! It’s not all “Oh I love him, does he love me? He does? Great!”. It takes on cancer, death, grief and life in beautiful ways. It was so much more than a romcom and that made me very happy. Also, the characters are British and who doesn’t like some good british slang in their writing?
Samt77
Aug 05, 2010 Samt77 rated it really liked it
this is one of my favourite books to re-read. I first read it not long after my grandmother had passed away from cancer, and the emotions that the family go through seemed very real. There's a lot of sorrow in the book, but a lot of hope. And a lot of humour. It's chick lit, but it's not hackneyed, clichéd chick lit.

And I have a certain fondness now for the phrase "the fast train to Potter's bar"
aRee
Aug 23, 2012 aRee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bacaan yang ringan. Agak mudah tertebak memang dari awal, tapi saya suka cara bukunya menggambarkan kasih seorang ibu yang tidak putus asa pada anak-anak lelakinya. Dan sebaliknya. Saya suka penggambaran kota London dan kehidupan kalangan menengah disana. Di atas semuanya, saya suka buku menggambarkan seperti apa keluarga itu. Biologis dan juga...geografis ;)
Pebble
Mar 17, 2011 Pebble rated it it was amazing
When I picked up Bachelor Boys, I had expected a light romantic chick lit. By the time I put it down, I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. Just having lost my father to cancer, I thought the book did a beautiful job of portraying living life the best you can while trying to deal with someone close to you dying, and the reality of death and loss.
JenniferB
Apr 29, 2009 JenniferB rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
This was a random book on a shelf I was trying to clear out. Didn't have high hopes for this book, but was really suprised how much I enjoyed it. I thought it would be a silly girlie book and for the most part it was but it was also very sweet and emotional. Not sure I would recommend it but it was much better than I expected.
Jule
Aug 15, 2012 Jule rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jule by: Anna-lena Schmitz
3rd read: Still as awesome as the first time I read it. It's funny, makes you cry and let's you think positive about the future.

I basically swallowed this book in two days and it's such an amazing read, which makes you realize that there's always a silver lining, no matter what happened in the past.

Awesome book!
Lindsay
Jun 21, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is light-hearted - but the story is anything but! I started the book on recommendations from some of my favorite bloggers and quickly fell in love with the characters. I even surprised myself by crying on the train at a few bits. Lovely book, can't wait to read more by Ms. Saunders.
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • 32AA
  • Calendar Girl
  • The Family Fortune
  • Love: A User's Guide: A Novel of Romance with Attitude
Kate Saunders (born 1960) is an English author, actress, and journalist. The daughter of the early public relations advocate Basil Saunders and his journalist wife Betty (née Smith), Saunders has worked for newspapers and magazines in the UK, including The Sunday Times, Sunday Express, Daily Telegraph, She, and Cosmopolitan.

She has also been a regular contributor to radio and television, with appe
More about Kate Saunders...

“Nostalgia pierced me. I started to cry. I wasn't sad, but remembered happiness hurts.” 15 likes
“A memory flashed back at me, of his willy bobbing about while he wrestled with his briefcase - well dignity and nudity aren't often seen together.” 2 likes