Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)

Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,173 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The bestselling author of the Myth series proves once again that not just anyone can join Phule's Company. They used to be the laughingstock of the interstellar armed forces--until their last mission proved successful. Now they must guard an intergalactic casino called the Fat Chance from a criminal takeover--and the odds are against the oddballs.
Published February 1st 1992 by Ace (first published 1992)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas AdamsLife, the Universe and Everything by Douglas AdamsSo Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas AdamsDirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
Best Comedic Sci-Fi Books
50th out of 357 books — 708 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziOn Basilisk Station by David WeberThe Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Best Military Science Fiction Books
98th out of 362 books — 360 voters

More lists with this book...

Tomáš
Ona to v zásadě není až tak špatná kniha, ale to by Asprin nesměl napsat Další prima mýtus a navazující díly.
Phulova rota až bolestně kopíruje obdobné schéma a nedokáže vybudovat a udržet napětí. Jako oddechová literatura to zdatně zvládá uspat samo sebe a ještě se přikrýt. Kdybych si to vzal na dovolenou k bazénu, byl bych spokojený, ale jako obecné čtivo to je podprůměr.
Freyavenlyo
Took me a while to finish the second book. Not because it wasn't good or compelling, no just too much other stuff going on. the plot was rather more elaborate than the first one. Captain Jester and his company of odd balls are getting a new assignment. a general who had it out for our captain before sends them off to a cushy guard duty job on a space station full with casinos. and that's where the trouble starts. where the first one in the series can pretty much stand alone, the second on parts...more
Becky
Look.at.that.cover. Aside from Schwarzenegger punching a camel in Conan, have you ever seen something so beautiful? I doubt it.

Robert Aspirin takes a certain taste, thats for sure. You have to be willing to roll with the punches (see above: Warthogman). There is a massive neccessity for suspension of dibelief, because this is like Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster and Jeeves doing a space opera. In essence: everything I've ever wanted.

Aspirin is funny, he is always funny. Its snark, witty, and tongue i...more
Jessica
I learned a lot about casinos and how they are run from this one. Not entirely sure that's what Asprin was trying to impart to the reader, but there you go.

I liked that the story was able to delve more into some of the peripheral characters from the first book. I laughed out loud at the depictions of the eye in the sky, but that was about all I remember laughing at.

It seemed a little forced to me, and I'm not sure why that was. The setting should have been perfect for a mad-cap adventure lead a...more
Caroline Berg
The gang's all back! And you know what that means - more hilarity ensues! This book is the sequel to Phule's Company and it is every bit as good as the first book. This time the Omega Company is up against the mob - where they will have to use all their unique skills if they want to succeed. In this book, the characters really allow their personalities to shine, now that we have gotten to know them (you really need to read the first book before picking this one up). It is always amusing to see h...more
Craig Herbertson
"In space no one can hear you laugh' or so the blurb says. This gives me an opportunity to throw out the cheap shot that this might be because there are no laughs in this book.

The device of the butler's commentary on events is a crashing bore. The dialogue is overloaded with unnecessary detail which takes the punch out of the writing. Despite a troop of space legionaries and an organised crime mob, one never feels that anyone will be seriously hurt.

On the other hand the book is well plotted, we...more
Shelby
I didn't like the splitting up the group much, conisdering it's only the second book. I thought the ending could have been better, a less negative future view perhaps. My like of the Beeker character was dimmed a little view the Dee Dee part, that was out of nowhere and random, though I do still rather like Beeker. I thought the kidnapping was random too. I am pretty sure everybody even thinking of attempting anything like that would have known the company's policy and would know they would kill...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It's not going to be easy for the oddballs of Phule's company. Their general has an axe to grind with them, and sends them on a job he hopes they will spectacularly fail at: providing security for a space casino. However he fails to tell them that the casino is facing a stealth takeover by a criminal syndicate, and Phule will have to use every trick he can to beat the odds stacked against him.

It's not as good as the first one, as it lacks the character development of the unit learning to become...more
Elise
Hilarious. In this book the troops prove their worth on their own without Mr. Phule being present. Also Phule shows how deviant he truly is and how meticulous he is with his assignments. I loved this one because the plot was a whole lot more fun and kept you on the seat of your pants wondering what these insane, yet scarily smart team of oddballs will do next and man they don't disappoint. They overdo everything and make it as dramatic and funny as is possible while still getting the job done. N...more
Tracey
Captain Jester (aka Willard Phule, heir to the Phule Proof Munitions Company) and the Omega Mob, after surprising their superiors with a successful mission, are sent to what seems to be a cake-walk assignment: guarding a casino.
They quickly discover that organized crime is planning a takeover of the casino and it's going to take all their wits (and a considerable amount of cash) to save the day.

Like many sequels, the story's not quite as fresh; however, Asprin builds on his characters and provi...more
Mike
I read the first two books in this series at least a year apart, so for me the characters aren't all too familiar to me. I think that the books are ok, but not too outstanding. The biggest issue I have with the series is that it's trying too hard to be a comedy. I think comedy works best when it's either more subtle or less subtle. This mix of over the top screwball comedy and serious army highjinx is a little too stark. It's not a bad book, but if could have been better. I'm looking forward to...more
Maria
Nov 10, 2011 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maria by: Wyatt
Both funny and fun, I love these books because Captain Jester, i. e., Willard Phule, is Mr. Fix-it. He leaves people generally better off after he is done with them than they were before, which is always a pleaser for me. I also enjoyed all the ways a casino could be "attacked" and Willard's solutions to prevent them. I did not enjoy the actual attack on Tiffany and Doc and found their upbeat response to hospitalization a little unrealistic. Except for Stilman, the bad guys were even likeable as...more
Amanda Hamilton
I just...sigh. I tried to give this series a shot but its just not very funny. I found my Mom's friend's husband recounting how the "Traveller" games he ran went completely crazy funnier than these books have been. Not like they don't try, just that the humor is only really ironic.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is funnier
Catch-22 is funnier.

Also I find the nicknames of the characters kind of dumb. The Asian (almost always referred to in the book as 'Oriental') is named Sushi? And t...more
Darcy Town
Very entertaining, keeps the humor and lightheartedness from book 1
Sean O'Reilly
According to the back cover this is 'One of the funniest novels I've read' and 'Broad comedy...'.

Sadly I have to say that not only did I not laugh out loud, I barely managed to raise the slightest of smiles. In fact, were it not for names such as Colonel Battleaxe and Willard Phule, I probably wouldn't have realised that humour was even being attempted.

Having read this I doubt that I am likely to read anything else by the same author.
Brentman99
Nov 10, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Myth series
This is the kind of series that you either like or don't. I loved it. Despite quite shallow characters, Asprin gets the most laughs possible. I love the impossible situations and how Asprin manages to pull it all together in the end. Very entertaining.
Barry
Sep 25, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Probably
This is the second book in the series and the jokes are still fresh and Asprin doesn't seem to be groping for the next gag. He has a gift for making it fun for every character in his books to have some kind of scam going and he makes it work.
Angela Alcorn
This was a breezy, entertaining read. There were a few moments where Asprin was forced to re-introduce things well-known from the first book, but other than that it flowed pretty well and was enjoyable to read.
Ed Nemo
The second book in the Phule series and once again, fun and entertaining. This time Phule's Company is being sent off on their first real assignment...a casino!
Desiree
I really like this approach to writing, covering with wit and sarcasm a true analysis of life. I'm definitely going to keep looking for Mr Asprin's book in the future
Rachel
Cute, mostly setup for the future, now we have "bad guys" to look out for, with more than just an "axe to grind", pardon the pun to those of you who've read it.
Saul
Please read my review from the first book of the series. This book has the same set of issues.

In a word, well written, but not that funny.
Bryan457
This one got docked an extra star because I was so disappointed in it. I really loved the first book, but this one just did not do anything for me.
Biblioworm
Хорошая подростковая книжка.
Во взрослом возрасте уже нельзя рекомендовать читать - слишком упрощенно.
И кажется похуже первой части.
Andy
1ST UK EDITION. 'A PHAAANTASTIC NEW BOOK FROM THE CREATOR OF THE MYTH SERIES'. SECOND IN SERIES 1ST= PHULE'S COMPANY.
Lori
Sep 06, 2013 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I absolutely love the Phule's Company saga! It's funny and witty and a great read. :)
Steven
Not as good as the first, but still lighthearted and a quick read.
Mark
Loved this entire series. a nice mix of comedy and science fantasy.
Jen
Enjoying rereading this series - it is goofy and fun
Justin Velthoen
Love a book that has some business AND Sci Fi!
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4)
  • The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth, #16)
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • Ripping Time (Time Scout, #3)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • The Rats, the Bats & the Ugly  (The Rats and the Bats, #2)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Heris Serrano
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)