Start by marking “Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)” as Want to Read:
Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)

Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,763 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The bestselling author of the Myth series proves once again that not just anyone can join Phule's Company. They used to be the laughingstock of the interstellar armed forces--until their last mission proved successful. Now they must guard an intergalactic casino called the Fat Chance from a criminal takeover--and the odds are against the oddballs.
Published February 1st 1992 by Ace (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Phule's Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phule's Paradise

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas AdamsLife, the Universe and Everything by Douglas AdamsSo Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas AdamsDirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
Best Comedic Sci-Fi Books
44th out of 398 books — 820 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Best Military Science Fiction Books
135th out of 415 books — 545 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
I learned a lot about casinos and how they are run from this one. Not entirely sure that's what Asprin was trying to impart to the reader, but there you go.

I liked that the story was able to delve more into some of the peripheral characters from the first book. I laughed out loud at the depictions of the eye in the sky, but that was about all I remember laughing at.

It seemed a little forced to me, and I'm not sure why that was. The setting should have been perfect for a mad-cap adventure lead a
Freyavenlyo
Took me a while to finish the second book. Not because it wasn't good or compelling, no just too much other stuff going on. the plot was rather more elaborate than the first one. Captain Jester and his company of odd balls are getting a new assignment. a general who had it out for our captain before sends them off to a cushy guard duty job on a space station full with casinos. and that's where the trouble starts. where the first one in the series can pretty much stand alone, the second on parts ...more
Biblioworm
Хорошая подростковая книжка.
Во взрослом возрасте уже нельзя рекомендовать читать - слишком упрощенно.
И кажется похуже первой части.
Tomáš
Ona to v zásadě není až tak špatná kniha, ale to by Asprin nesměl napsat Další prima mýtus a navazující díly.
Phulova rota až bolestně kopíruje obdobné schéma a nedokáže vybudovat a udržet napětí. Jako oddechová literatura to zdatně zvládá uspat samo sebe a ještě se přikrýt. Kdybych si to vzal na dovolenou k bazénu, byl bych spokojený, ale jako obecné čtivo to je podprůměr.
Tyrannosaurus regina
It strikes me now (as I seem to remember it struck me at the time, but that was a long time ago) that the books in both this series and the Myth books got better plotted as they went along, even if they didn't improve in other ways. This one was reasonably tight, even if it fell upon the same stereotypes as all the others. It was fun, and the fact that the tech feels so outdated now is...kind of fun too.
Becky
Look.at.that.cover. Aside from Schwarzenegger punching a camel in Conan, have you ever seen something so beautiful? I doubt it.

Robert Aspirin takes a certain taste, thats for sure. You have to be willing to roll with the punches (see above: Warthogman). There is a massive neccessity for suspension of dibelief, because this is like Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster and Jeeves doing a space opera. In essence: everything I've ever wanted.

Aspirin is funny, he is always funny. Its snark, witty, and tongue i
Caroline Berg
The gang's all back! And you know what that means - more hilarity ensues! This book is the sequel to Phule's Company and it is every bit as good as the first book. This time the Omega Company is up against the mob - where they will have to use all their unique skills if they want to succeed. In this book, the characters really allow their personalities to shine, now that we have gotten to know them (you really need to read the first book before picking this one up). It is always amusing to see h ...more
Craig Herbertson
"In space no one can hear you laugh' or so the blurb says. This gives me an opportunity to throw out the cheap shot that this might be because there are no laughs in this book.

The device of the butler's commentary on events is a crashing bore. The dialogue is overloaded with unnecessary detail which takes the punch out of the writing. Despite a troop of space legionaries and an organised crime mob, one never feels that anyone will be seriously hurt.

On the other hand the book is well plotted, we
Robin Halvorson
Old school Robert Asprin -- a delightful story that I thoroughly enjoyed. While there are more Phule books this is the last one actually written by Asprin or at least written solely by Asprin. I am not certain that I will pursue this series as I have heard disquieting things about the follow ons.
Shelby
I didn't like the splitting up the group much, conisdering it's only the second book. I thought the ending could have been better, a less negative future view perhaps. My like of the Beeker character was dimmed a little view the Dee Dee part, that was out of nowhere and random, though I do still rather like Beeker. I thought the kidnapping was random too. I am pretty sure everybody even thinking of attempting anything like that would have known the company's policy and would know they would kill ...more
D.M. Dutcher
It's not going to be easy for the oddballs of Phule's company. Their general has an axe to grind with them, and sends them on a job he hopes they will spectacularly fail at: providing security for a space casino. However he fails to tell them that the casino is facing a stealth takeover by a criminal syndicate, and Phule will have to use every trick he can to beat the odds stacked against him.

It's not as good as the first one, as it lacks the character development of the unit learning to become
Al
Phule's outfit has a new assignment and it's not from someone who has their best interest in mind. General Blitzkrieg is still trying to get "Jester" (his legion name) cashiered and this is his way of pulling it off.

Second books often fail to live up to the original, but this one is every bit as good as the first (Phule's Company).

Unlike the first book, this one has a bit of a cliff-hanger at the end (an opening for the next book in the series). I personally, don't much like cliff-hangers since
Elise
Hilarious. In this book the troops prove their worth on their own without Mr. Phule being present. Also Phule shows how deviant he truly is and how meticulous he is with his assignments. I loved this one because the plot was a whole lot more fun and kept you on the seat of your pants wondering what these insane, yet scarily smart team of oddballs will do next and man they don't disappoint. They overdo everything and make it as dramatic and funny as is possible while still getting the job done. N ...more
Brad Smith
Another good quick read. Not sure I am seeing anything particularly funny about this series but I am definitely enjoying it.
Todd Jimenez
Not sure if I'm older, of if this book is just too simplistically written even to be considered a young adult novel.
Tracey
Captain Jester (aka Willard Phule, heir to the Phule Proof Munitions Company) and the Omega Mob, after surprising their superiors with a successful mission, are sent to what seems to be a cake-walk assignment: guarding a casino.
They quickly discover that organized crime is planning a takeover of the casino and it's going to take all their wits (and a considerable amount of cash) to save the day.

Like many sequels, the story's not quite as fresh; however, Asprin builds on his characters and provi
Mike
I read the first two books in this series at least a year apart, so for me the characters aren't all too familiar to me. I think that the books are ok, but not too outstanding. The biggest issue I have with the series is that it's trying too hard to be a comedy. I think comedy works best when it's either more subtle or less subtle. This mix of over the top screwball comedy and serious army highjinx is a little too stark. It's not a bad book, but if could have been better. I'm looking forward to ...more
Steve H
3.5 stars. Not as fun as the first, but still enjoyable and makes me want to read the next in the series.
Maria
Nov 10, 2011 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maria by: Wyatt
Both funny and fun, I love these books because Captain Jester, i. e., Willard Phule, is Mr. Fix-it. He leaves people generally better off after he is done with them than they were before, which is always a pleaser for me. I also enjoyed all the ways a casino could be "attacked" and Willard's solutions to prevent them. I did not enjoy the actual attack on Tiffany and Doc and found their upbeat response to hospitalization a little unrealistic. Except for Stilman, the bad guys were even likeable as ...more
Amanda Hamilton
I just...sigh. I tried to give this series a shot but its just not very funny. I found my Mom's friend's husband recounting how the "Traveller" games he ran went completely crazy funnier than these books have been. Not like they don't try, just that the humor is only really ironic.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is funnier
Catch-22 is funnier.

Also I find the nicknames of the characters kind of dumb. The Asian (almost always referred to in the book as 'Oriental') is named Sushi? And t
Darcy Town
Very entertaining, keeps the humor and lightheartedness from book 1
Sean O'Reilly
According to the back cover this is 'One of the funniest novels I've read' and 'Broad comedy...'.

Sadly I have to say that not only did I not laugh out loud, I barely managed to raise the slightest of smiles. In fact, were it not for names such as Colonel Battleaxe and Willard Phule, I probably wouldn't have realised that humour was even being attempted.

Having read this I doubt that I am likely to read anything else by the same author.
Serena
My Rating System:

I have read multiple times and will hopefully get a chance to read it at least once more. I love the authors writing style, plot progression and world building. Not to mention the editors did an excellent job.
Dana
I thought this second installment was okay. There were parts I liked and laughed out load at, but overall it wasn't as entertaining as the first one. We were able to learn more about some of the characters and we met someone who could come back later in interesting ways.
Brentman99
Nov 10, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Myth series
This is the kind of series that you either like or don't. I loved it. Despite quite shallow characters, Asprin gets the most laughs possible. I love the impossible situations and how Asprin manages to pull it all together in the end. Very entertaining.
Barry
Sep 25, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Probably
This is the second book in the series and the jokes are still fresh and Asprin doesn't seem to be groping for the next gag. He has a gift for making it fun for every character in his books to have some kind of scam going and he makes it work.
Angela Alcorn
This was a breezy, entertaining read. There were a few moments where Asprin was forced to re-introduce things well-known from the first book, but other than that it flowed pretty well and was enjoyable to read.
Ed Nemo
The second book in the Phule series and once again, fun and entertaining. This time Phule's Company is being sent off on their first real assignment...a casino!
Desiree
I really like this approach to writing, covering with wit and sarcasm a true analysis of life. I'm definitely going to keep looking for Mr Asprin's book in the future
Rachel
Cute, mostly setup for the future, now we have "bad guys" to look out for, with more than just an "axe to grind", pardon the pun to those of you who've read it.
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth, #16)
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • The Forlorn
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Phule's Company (6 books)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • No Phule Like an Old Phule (Phule's Company, #5)
  • Phule's Errand (Phule's Company, #6)
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)