Start by marking “The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates” as Want to Read:
The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates

The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates

In this Knopf Paperback reissue, Joshua is devastated to learn that he must repeat third grade. But he manages to survive the taunts of former classmates, learn something important about himself, and make it through the year with the help of a sympathetic teacher in this "funny, touching, and realistic story."--School Library Journal
Published April 27th 1993 by Yearling (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates

Shannon
Feb 22, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Engaging story about a boy and the bond he forms with his teacher when he is retained in third grade. The one thing I really disliked was that the teacher humiliates a boy who is mean to Joshua. A teacher as kind and good as Mrs. Goodwin would not have done that to any student.
Steph
Feb 23, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it
I don't really know if this is something that the kids in my library would enjoy if they read independently. I could see this being an awesome book to read as a class and have lots of discussion about, but a lot of this is very outdated or just not applicable to my students.

But I sure do love Mrs. Goodwin.

-------------
"I suppose it's just as difficult to be a grown-up is it is to be a child," Joshua said.
"Sometimes it is. This year for example," Mrs. Goodwin said she settled down next to him.
"A
Roslyn Daly
Aug 08, 2014 Roslyn Daly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, how I loved Joshua and Oh, how I absolutely loved and admired Mrs. Goodwin! Joshua T. Bates has a rather nasty surprise at the beginning of the story. It's a few days before school when his mother drops the news on him: he has failed 3rd grade and will repeat. Joshua at first doesn't believe her, but it turns out to be true and of course he is devastated...to say the least.

He eventually learns to work hard, and through the kindness of his teacher, Mrs. Goodwin (who he first thought of as a h
Tracy
Oct 25, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it
Realistic Fiction. This story is about a boy flunking 3rd grade because of his reading. He gets tutored by his teacher and eventually moves up to 4th grade, but not before he has to deal with his classmates at school. He has a very touching relationship with his teacher.

Children would like this book because they all seem to fear flunking a grade. I like the story because of how the character, Joshua, deals with this ordeal. Although it seems like nothing positive (to a child) can come out of flu
Duane
Nov 09, 2008 Duane rated it did not like it
Although I liked the theme of this book and the wonderful teacher who went out of her way to help this young boy who finds himself stuck in the third grade for the second time, it was the main character who I found to be unlikeable that kept me from enjoying it. Josh is rude, arrogant, and overall a brat which makes it very hard to really care about how he feels. The teacher in his life is a wonderful character though which saves this book from being a complete disaster. This is a small read so ...more
Grazzia
Oct 28, 2008 Grazzia added it
Recommended to Grazzia by: Master's Course Assignment
It took me like half an hour to read it. It's a simple book about an elementary student who fails the grade. What made this book interesting was the discussion we had at our Master's Course. It was interesting to find out how people's opinion and perspectives differ about the same situation. Furthermore, I found how prejudiced humanity can be sometimes even when presented with innocent experiences.
kelly
May 30, 2008 kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Mrs. Goodwin is a great example of a teacher that goes out of the way to ensure that her students succeed. joshua's 1st third grade teacher shouldn't be teaching - she hated kids. Life is too short. It was a great read about the struggles a child can go through when they have to repeat a grade - and the difference one good teacher can make.
Hristos
Mar 30, 2013 Hristos rated it really liked it
In the Flunking of Joshua T. Bates, Joshua has to redo third grade, at first Joshua is angry and gets in trouble and then he works hard and goes to fourth grade earlier.

The author's message was that you always have second chances.

I think this is a very interesting book because you always think "Whats going to happen next!"
Debbie Tanner
This is a nice enough book about a boy who fails 3rd grade. Josh has a great way of expressing himself and so it's easy to understand how he feels about all the things that are happening. This would be a good book to use to think about how characters change.
Kelly
Mar 09, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book. I read it with my son who has a learning disability. I thin he could relate to alot of Josh's feelings. I also loved the example his teach was to him. Just a great read. I am sure I will read this again with my other kids
Kalia
Apr 12, 2013 Kalia rated it liked it
The flunking of joshua t. bates is mainly about how he flunks third grade so he has to redo it. Kids at school tease him about it but he gets used to it and he learns to live with the kids in his normal grade that are way younger than him.
Monica
Jul 19, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it
Very funny! Ended a bit abruptly, but you're pretty sure everything will turn out okay. There are a few archaic cliches and idioms that you might have to explain to students b/c it wasn't written recently.
Skyler
Oct 29, 2014 Skyler rated it it was ok
It was just ok.
Karen
Nov 25, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
this book is really interesting is about a boy name Joshua who finds out ge needs another year to mature.wich means he has to go back to 3rd grade.
Abby Barkeim
Aug 01, 2011 Abby Barkeim rated it really liked it
This is the first shared novel I will be reading with the two lower reading classes. Check it out so you can have a book discussion with them!

Rondel
Feb 09, 2010 Rondel rated it really liked it
I think this book is great Joshua got left back in the third grade can u believe it the third grade!! wow pathetic they cut on him oD i was dying.
KellyKrazy101
Oct 08, 2011 KellyKrazy101 rated it liked it
Was my book for reading group in fourth grade, really inspirational
Bruno
Nov 11, 2010 Bruno rated it it was amazing
this book is similar to my life.
Alexis
Jun 01, 2011 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: ar
AR test completed.
Janiya Gray
Janiya Gray is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
YMCA Bauder
YMCA Bauder marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Dania
Dania marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Bridgett
Bridgett marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Kirsten Johnson
Kirsten Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Brandy Lyda
Brandy Lyda rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
AM
AM added it
Jun 07, 2016
Matifia
Matifia marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Benjamin Elliott
Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Has anyone else read it? 1 1 Aug 12, 2014 05:42AM
Also know as Susan Shreve. Received the following awards: Jenny Moore Award, George Washington University, 1978; Notable Book citation, American Library Association (ALA), 1979, for Family Secrets: Five Very Important Stories; Best Book for Young Adults citation, ALA, 1980, for The Masquerade; Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies, National Council for Social Studies and the ...more
More about Susan Richards Shreve...