Stranded in Paradise

Stranded in Paradise

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A funny-but-touching tale about everything that can go wrong...and what makes it all right!

Tess Nelson is poised to take a well-deserved step up the corporate ladder when it's yanked out from under her. With no job and nothing to fill her days--just a nonrefundable ticket for a trip to Hawaii--Tess decides a tropical vacation is just what she needs. But Tess's journey to p

Published September 16th 2002 by W Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Stranded in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranded in Paradise

Nurshafiqa
a very pleasant read. i felt like i was really tess nelson and i totally felt for her throughout the book. i even cried at the end!

even though it was a christian fiction, i didnt really feel like the author is trying to get the reader to convert to christianity or anything. its more fiction than christian, if you get what i mean. i am not a christian and this book didnt leave me feeling all uncomfortable so it was okay.

the only thing that irked me was how perfect carter is. come on.. a little fa...more
Loraine
This romantic comedy rollicked the heroine from one humorous catastrophe to another. As Tess Nelson is engulfed in repeated disasters, Carter McConnell is drawn into her life. Their mad-capped adventures bring them closer to God and the inner peace for which they're both searching.
Niki
It was a fun, lighthearted read. Kept me entertained for a few hours.

My problem was in the writing. Some parts were inconsistent - on page 64 Tess is walking toward her rental car but five pages later she starts the day by renting a car, getting a latte and driving the 2 hour drive somewhere. The picture painted was disjointed.
Elizabeth
I don't read fiction to read about God but I knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. The setting of Maui always appeals to me. And this was a good fast read. You definitely knew how it was going to end but I appreciated that the author took a different route to getting there. A stressed out air traffic controller is told to take a vacation so he goes to Maui. A high powered business woman is fired so she takes the "business trip" to Maui anyway. Instead of finding each other thr...more
Carol
Good story about the vacation from hell but the wonderful ending. Tess lost her job to her boss's fraternity brother and she decided to use the ticket in her purse that was supposed to be a business trip to fly to Hawaii just for fun. On the way to the airport the cab has no heat, the traffic is a nightmare and then they have a flat tire. She makes it to the airport and as she's running to the gate a little boy runs into her and she twists her ankle and loses a contact lens. I won't tell you wha...more
Kylie
A short and refreshing book of the unfortunate Tess Nelson. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because SPOILER: I would have liked some romance between Tess and Carter. They developed a nice relationship, but nothing happened-- I suppose this was because the main point was to follow Tess and her re-discovery of God through the people she meets and the disasters she must face.

:) Tess faces a lot of crap that would never happen to any "one" person (hey, it's fiction), but you find yourself fall...more
Alison
“A cute story, but when I brought it I didn't realize it was a women of faith fiction book, not that that really matters just more religious content than I would like.
NK
The reason that I chose this book was for the subject of Hawaii. This is my first time reading what is described as Christian fiction. I liked it but not sure I would look for more.
January
I needed a quick break from my Scientology book, so I picked this up; yep it was pretty bad. I find Christian realistic fiction fascinating, because while I consider myself a Christian (and that is a lot to live up to I know) I don't go talk about God in regular conversations. In fact, I think it is a bit abnormal just how much God was brought up in these characters chats. BUT, I do know people who find strength in doing that, and more power to them. Not for me, in terms of the talking and the b...more
Nadine
A fast read with Christian values, but nothing shoved down your throat. Fun storyline and just enjoyable.
Julie
I bought this book at a yard sale unknowing it was a book by a "woman of faith". I generally do not like reading books about faith because I tend to find them preachy or somehow insinuate that their faith is the only way. However, this was a charming romance that had the Christian faith interwoven throughout it. It was about one woman's realization that she was not who she wanted to be although she had everything she wanted. Finding faith helped her be who she wanted to be, and of course finding...more
Heather
When everything goes wrong in your life, what do you do? Do you pray? Do you just complain and continue on?

In "Stranded in Paradise", Tess loses her job, sprains her ankle - not once, but twice, loses her contact lens, has to abandon her hotel and all her belongings, is caught up in the middle of a hurricane, has a rather emotionless mother, and then sprains the other ankle.

If this was you, what would you do?
Linda
Delightful very quick read about a career oriented young woman who is losing her hair from stress and the calamity of being fired and going to Hawaii. In the process she finds love and seeks to know who God is and is pleasantly surprised by God's grace when she is given a new career. Loved the book and highly recommend as it is a good message for us all to read. This is a woman of faith fiction.
Chris
I had a day where everything I touched fell, broke or went the opposite of how I wanted it to go....or so it seemed. This book made me realized sometimes God can use "problems" to do wonderful things. It also made me laugh as I have been wishing to be on a beach lately, and this character's beach experience was just the ticket I needed to realize it is just fine here in the midwest. (pun intended)
Jo
Cute story... but big lessons... what I needed at the time pg. 96 "Lord, you know my heart. Let me do more thanking and less complaining. Grant me patience to wait on you. I recognize my need for your assurances, for your strength for your hand on my life. I stand guilty of weak faith and the if-I-can't-fix-it-by-Friday then I'll turn it over to God thinking..."
Nadine Keels
"LOL"--three little letters so overly used these days, and very rarely in a literal sense, in my experience. But Stranded in Paradise did make me laugh, and just as equally gave me pause to reconsider what it means to trust in God and to be at peace, no matter what.

One book that truly changed my life in a way I can identify. Definitely worth a reread.
Jenni
This was a good book about finding trust in the Lord, but my complaint is that it is a pretty formulaic read. The humor however was very good. If you want to read a book about a trip to Paradise where just about everything that can go wrong does, and how the Lord uses that to get attention, then you will probably still enjoy it.
Lyndi
This is my 1st book by this author, and I will read more. I never expected this to be as funny as it is. Great summer read, even though it isnt set in the summer, just the whole Hawaii thing, sunshine, etc. This is our Aug book club book, looking forward to seeing what others thought, if they enjoyed it as much as I did.
Anna
Jun 03, 2010 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
A good read if you need a quick laugh and want to see the funnier side of love. Another thing I liked was the fact that although this is a christian book it doesn't bash you over the head with religion.
Amber
Jul 10, 2010 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
At the last goodwill I accidentally bought two books with religious undertones, this being the second. It was pretty sweet, but a little out of my element. Mostly it made me want to go to Hawaii.
Angie
Did not enjoy this book, at all. It was one tragic event after another (intended to be humorous). I could have stood the tragedy had this not been a work of fiction.
Candace
It was decent. A little funny. I liked the characters. I don't see how Tess got the redemption from her mother. That scene didn't seem that well done or clear.
Gina
Very short and sweet. Does not mince words when it comes to issues of faith. It was nice to read a book that doesn't have all the drama of a heavy novel.
Sheri
cute, funny Christian chic lit about a girl who has everything go wrong in her life and how in the end finds the Lord...and a wonderful man.
Diana
I enjoyed reading about places I've been in Hawaii but the second half didn't seem to be written real well, but maybe I was just tired...
Mara
I am only in chapter 2, but I already love the conflicts and the comedy. It is lighter than I usually read but needed a change of pace!!
Diane Miller
Women Women Women.....want to laugh about yourself and enjoy the day reading? Grab a copy of this story about real women and real life!
May 22, 2012 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Chick-lit. Pure and simple. But it gave me a chance to visit Hawaii for a few minutes and I liked that brief vacation.
Jessica
Easy read. I took it on a trip with me and read it on the beach. Predictable but funny and enjoyable.
Stacey
Faith and trust have been a running theme in my life lately. You can't go wrong when you fully trust in God
  • The Pearl
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Stealing Adda: A Novel
  • These Boots Weren't Made for Walking
  • Dreaming in Black & White
  • The Wedding Machine
  • With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3)
  • Alaska Twilight
  • The Perfect Match (Deep Haven, #3)
  • The Perfect Life
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Leave It to Claire (Claire Everett #1)
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
  • Quaker Summer
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
Lori lives in the beautiful Ozarks with her husband Lance. Lance and Lori have three sons, three daughter-in-laws, and six wonderful grandchildren, and two great-granddaughters.

Lance and Lori are very involved in their church, and active in supporting mission work in Mali, West Africa.

Lori began her writing career in 1982, writing for the secular book market. In 1995, after many years of writing,...more
More about Lori Copeland...
Faith  (Brides of the West #1) Hope (Brides of the West, #3) Glory (Brides of the West, #4) June (Brides of the West, #2) Ruth (Brides of the West #5)