Start by marking “Stranded in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Stranded in Paradise

Stranded in Paradise

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  330 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A funny-but-touching tale about everything that can go wrong...and what makes it all right!

Tess Nelson is poised to take a well-deserved step up the corporate ladder when it's yanked out from under her. With no job and nothing to fill her days--just a nonrefundable ticket for a trip to Hawaii--Tess decides a tropical vacation is just what she needs. But Tess's journey to p

Published September 14th 2002 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Stranded in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranded in Paradise

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonThe Master's Plan by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
427th out of 464 books — 488 voters
Love Those Hula Hips by Jackie MarillaOnly on Valentine's Day by Jackie MarillaLiquid Comfort - A Surf Story by Cheryl Lee PetroParadise Rules by Beth KeryA Little Harmless Lie by Melissa Schroeder
Hawaiian Romance
57th out of 88 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Nurshafiqa
Nov 23, 2010 Nurshafiqa rated it liked it
a very pleasant read. i felt like i was really tess nelson and i totally felt for her throughout the book. i even cried at the end!

even though it was a christian fiction, i didnt really feel like the author is trying to get the reader to convert to christianity or anything. its more fiction than christian, if you get what i mean. i am not a christian and this book didnt leave me feeling all uncomfortable so it was okay.

the only thing that irked me was how perfect carter is. come on.. a little fa
Niki
Aug 02, 2014 Niki rated it it was ok
It was a fun, lighthearted read. Kept me entertained for a few hours.

My problem was in the writing. Some parts were inconsistent - on page 64 Tess is walking toward her rental car but five pages later she starts the day by renting a car, getting a latte and driving the 2 hour drive somewhere. The picture painted was disjointed.
Loraine
Aug 18, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, humorous
This romantic comedy rollicked the heroine from one humorous catastrophe to another. As Tess Nelson is engulfed in repeated disasters, Carter McConnell is drawn into her life. Their mad-capped adventures bring them closer to God and the inner peace for which they're both searching.
Suzanne Cooper
Jul 31, 2015 Suzanne Cooper rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cute, read this in one day. Tess goes to Hawaii on a non-refundable ticket from the job she just lost--to de-stress & re-group. but one disaster follows another. A handsome stranger (what else?) keeps crossing her path & they soon are thrown together in survival mode by a tropical storm. Predictable, but still enjoyable.
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I don't read fiction to read about God but I knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. The setting of Maui always appeals to me. And this was a good fast read. You definitely knew how it was going to end but I appreciated that the author took a different route to getting there. A stressed out air traffic controller is told to take a vacation so he goes to Maui. A high powered business woman is fired so she takes the "business trip" to Maui anyway. Instead of finding each other thr ...more
Carol
Aug 13, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Good story about the vacation from hell but the wonderful ending. Tess lost her job to her boss's fraternity brother and she decided to use the ticket in her purse that was supposed to be a business trip to fly to Hawaii just for fun. On the way to the airport the cab has no heat, the traffic is a nightmare and then they have a flat tire. She makes it to the airport and as she's running to the gate a little boy runs into her and she twists her ankle and loses a contact lens. I won't tell you wha ...more
Tabitha Lecher
Very good read

Kept me entertained and reminded me that everything happens for a reason. Did not feel like I was preached to but was another reminder of the beauty of His work.
Kylie
May 28, 2014 Kylie rated it really liked it
A short and refreshing book of the unfortunate Tess Nelson. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because SPOILER: I would have liked some romance between Tess and Carter. They developed a nice relationship, but nothing happened-- I suppose this was because the main point was to follow Tess and her re-discovery of God through the people she meets and the disasters she must face.

:) Tess faces a lot of crap that would never happen to any "one" person (hey, it's fiction), but you find yourself fall
NK
May 02, 2014 NK rated it liked it
The reason that I chose this book was for the subject of Hawaii. This is my first time reading what is described as Christian fiction. I liked it but not sure I would look for more.
January
Jun 08, 2013 January rated it it was ok
I needed a quick break from my Scientology book, so I picked this up; yep it was pretty bad. I find Christian realistic fiction fascinating, because while I consider myself a Christian (and that is a lot to live up to I know) I don't go talk about God in regular conversations. In fact, I think it is a bit abnormal just how much God was brought up in these characters chats. BUT, I do know people who find strength in doing that, and more power to them. Not for me, in terms of the talking and the b ...more
Nadine
Jul 16, 2014 Nadine rated it really liked it
A fast read with Christian values, but nothing shoved down your throat. Fun storyline and just enjoyable.
Debbie Turner
Dec 15, 2014 Debbie Turner rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book of Lori Copeland. It was a contemporary romance and well worth the read.
Bree
Jul 12, 2015 Bree rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Good book. Does have a lot of christian monologues. Very predictable.
Julie
Jul 21, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: haveread
I bought this book at a yard sale unknowing it was a book by a "woman of faith". I generally do not like reading books about faith because I tend to find them preachy or somehow insinuate that their faith is the only way. However, this was a charming romance that had the Christian faith interwoven throughout it. It was about one woman's realization that she was not who she wanted to be although she had everything she wanted. Finding faith helped her be who she wanted to be, and of course finding ...more
Liz Kunkel
Apr 15, 2015 Liz Kunkel rated it liked it
Slow and quite boring.
Tanya Procknow
Oct 11, 2015 Tanya Procknow rated it liked it
Cute fun story.
Christina Rhodes
Nov 27, 2014 Christina Rhodes rated it really liked it
amazing book with the perfect amount of romance.
Heather
Jan 21, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
When everything goes wrong in your life, what do you do? Do you pray? Do you just complain and continue on?

In "Stranded in Paradise", Tess loses her job, sprains her ankle - not once, but twice, loses her contact lens, has to abandon her hotel and all her belongings, is caught up in the middle of a hurricane, has a rather emotionless mother, and then sprains the other ankle.

If this was you, what would you do?
Linda
Jan 20, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Delightful very quick read about a career oriented young woman who is losing her hair from stress and the calamity of being fired and going to Hawaii. In the process she finds love and seeks to know who God is and is pleasantly surprised by God's grace when she is given a new career. Loved the book and highly recommend as it is a good message for us all to read. This is a woman of faith fiction.
Chris
Mar 19, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I had a day where everything I touched fell, broke or went the opposite of how I wanted it to go....or so it seemed. This book made me realized sometimes God can use "problems" to do wonderful things. It also made me laugh as I have been wishing to be on a beach lately, and this character's beach experience was just the ticket I needed to realize it is just fine here in the midwest. (pun intended)
Jo
Jul 10, 2015 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cute story... but big lessons... what I needed at the time pg. 96 "Lord, you know my heart. Let me do more thanking and less complaining. Grant me patience to wait on you. I recognize my need for your assurances, for your strength for your hand on my life. I stand guilty of weak faith and the if-I-can't-fix-it-by-Friday then I'll turn it over to God thinking..."
Nadine Keels
Aug 15, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing
"LOL"--three little letters so overly used these days, and very rarely in a literal sense, in my experience. But Stranded in Paradise did make me laugh, and just as equally gave me pause to reconsider what it means to trust in God and to be at peace, no matter what.

One book that truly changed my life in a way I can identify. Definitely worth a reread.
Jenni
Jan 25, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
This was a good book about finding trust in the Lord, but my complaint is that it is a pretty formulaic read. The humor however was very good. If you want to read a book about a trip to Paradise where just about everything that can go wrong does, and how the Lord uses that to get attention, then you will probably still enjoy it.
Lyndi
Jul 11, 2011 Lyndi rated it really liked it
This is my 1st book by this author, and I will read more. I never expected this to be as funny as it is. Great summer read, even though it isnt set in the summer, just the whole Hawaii thing, sunshine, etc. This is our Aug book club book, looking forward to seeing what others thought, if they enjoyed it as much as I did.
Anna
Jun 03, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
A good read if you need a quick laugh and want to see the funnier side of love. Another thing I liked was the fact that although this is a christian book it doesn't bash you over the head with religion.
Amber
Jul 10, 2010 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
At the last goodwill I accidentally bought two books with religious undertones, this being the second. It was pretty sweet, but a little out of my element. Mostly it made me want to go to Hawaii.
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison rated it liked it
A cute story, but when I brought it I didn't realize it was a women of faith fiction book, not that that really matters just more religious content than I would like.
Angie
May 20, 2009 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Did not enjoy this book, at all. It was one tragic event after another (intended to be humorous). I could have stood the tragedy had this not been a work of fiction.
Candace
May 09, 2014 Candace rated it liked it
It was decent. A little funny. I liked the characters. I don't see how Tess got the redemption from her mother. That scene didn't seem that well done or clear.
Gina
Jan 18, 2010 Gina rated it it was amazing
Very short and sweet. Does not mince words when it comes to issues of faith. It was nice to read a book that doesn't have all the drama of a heavy novel.
  • RV There Yet?: A Women of Faith Fiction Novel
  • The Pearl
  • Sandpebbles
  • Theodora's Diary: Faith, Hope and Chocolate
  • These Boots Weren't Made for Walking
  • The Wedding Machine
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3)
  • Dreaming in Black & White (Phoebe Grant, #1)
  • Alaska Twilight
  • Stealing Adda
  • Whispers From Yesterday
  • Leave It to Claire (Claire Everett #1)
  • Newlywed Games
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Club Sandwich
Lori Copeland was born on 12 June 1941. She had a relatively late start in writing, breaking into publishing in 1982 when she was already forty years old. Over the next dozen years, her romance novels achieved much success, as was evidenced by her winning the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award, The Holt Medallion, and Walden Books' Best Seller award. She has been inducted into the Missouri Wri ...more
More about Lori Copeland...