Start by marking “Dragonworld” as Want to Read:

Somewhere beyond the northern mists lies a land where dreams live and dragons are real. This is the tale of the twilight of the dragons, of two nations plunged into war by a tragic misunderstanding, of a shy dreamer's incredible voyage of peace to a long-forgotten land where nightmares are born. A magnificient creation, a sweeping epic of high fantasy set in a richly imagi ...more
Published August 3rd 2011 by Ipicturebooks (first published September 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonworld

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
160th out of 1,026 books — 1,986 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Sword of Shannara by Terry BrooksThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Iron Tower by Dennis L. McKiernanThe Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Most Obvious Tolkien Imitators
22nd out of 38 books — 196 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 23, 2016 Claudia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the feeling when I can hardly wait to read a book and turns out to be a big disappointment. It was the same with The Hobbit and LOTR.

The story starts promising, despite the tragic event: 2 children are killed by a dragon and town’s folks believe it was the sorcerers from next land, Simbala, who did it, so they plan to go to war. Pretty interesting setup, but the writing killed all the excitement: got to 15% and nothing happened besides the squabbling between the locals. Then the s
Apr 08, 2009 Janeen-san rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will try to give this long book the long book review it deserves. Last year, I was desperately searching the shelvs of my local library's spring book sale. My brother claimed he saw a bearded man walk out with ALL the fantasy books in the entire place. My brother and I were deeply disappointed and angry. We loved and still love fantasy. How could that man have taken all of the fantasy books? Surely not.
At last I found one that looked promising.
I was filled with curiosity. Would th
Justin Lambert
May 16, 2012 Justin Lambert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
I finally finished Dragonworld yesterday, and I took the remainder of the day to digest it.

This was a truly well-written fantasy novel with all the right pieces to the puzzle. The heroes (there are several) were flawed and real, the villians (there were also several) were sympathetic and entirely three-dimensional. The plot was large enough to fill the space without getting out of hand or too mired in itself to enjoy.

In the end, it was a perfect self-contained epic fantasy which left the door o
My mother gave this book to me one Christmas many years ago while I was still in college. I remember that she was pretty proud of herself for indulging my appetite for fantasy literature. This book, along with several others made for one of my most memorable Christmas gifts.

I read much of the book on the plane back to Salt Lake City. I hate flying and it made the journey a lot less painful. 30+ years later I still remember much of the story and can see the images that played across my imaginatio
Jonathan Boyd
May 29, 2007 Jonathan Boyd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any fantasy fan.
Despite the oddly generic title, Dragonworld is a deep, unique fantasy story of a quality to rival the modern fantasy greats.

Dragonworld revolves around a largely meaningless war between two nations, magical Simbala and rural Fandora, sparked by a tragic misunderstanding and an ancient mystery. At the heart of this lie a lonely, brave hermit with a heart of gold; a grief-wracked, furious father; and an enigmatic, misunderstood danger.

On the eve of total defeat Fandora goes to aid of Simbala, who
Benjamin Thomas
I first read this novel about 15 years ago and always wondered why it was never reprinted. It is a well-told tale, enjoyable to read, and in a style reminiscent of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The characters interact well together and there is excellent depth to them. It is not predictable nor does it fit into the tight little cliched fantasy that is so prevalent today. If you want a solid fantasy read, this is a pretty good one.
If I were 12, maybe this would be cool. But I'm not, and life's too short to waste on stuff like this, so I'm moving on with my life without finishing it. Maybe one day if I'm bored or braindead, I'll come back to it.
I remember reading this book & being so drawn in. At 1st it was a little slow for my taste but it was never boring. I got this book Free in a box of books that were donated but not sold for the charity drive from the VFW while I was in HS. They gave them to me as a gift for working there unpaid that summer. I took almost all of the books that had not sold. I bet I missed out on some that I left behind. But I will say this. EVERY single book I got that I have read was a great or really good b ...more
Joseph Masiello
Aug 28, 2015 Joseph Masiello rated it really liked it
Dragon world was a well written and engaging story. The characters were fleshed out and had real strengths and flaws. I was able to understand the why and reason behind the actions of each character. That alone garners the four stars. Then we get to the illustrations inside. Absolutely amazing black and white pictures cover the whole page every so many pages. What a nice break up within the chapters! I was unaware of the fact that this was illustrated as I totally judged this book by its name an ...more
Dec 03, 2012 alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-prestito
Fin da subito sappiamo quale mistero si cela dietro le morti dei bambini, ma non per questo il libro risulta meno piacevole.
Non vedevo l'ora di arrivare al "Punto d'Incontro", ovvero le pagine in cui finalmente Simbalesi e Fandoriani si sarebbero incontrati e scontrati.
La visione dei Draghi e dei Dragoni di questo libro è "innovativa", tanto quanto lo può essere un libro di oltre 30 anni :)

Spoiler e domande varie che mi sono posta!
Ho solo quale dubbio che non si è risolto con l'avanzare della le
Ian Banks
Jan 25, 2015 Ian Banks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Johan is a young boy living in one of the farming villages of Fandora. One day he steals a glider designed by his friend, the reclusive inventor Amsel. He is killed mysteriously, but his father Jondalrun believes the culprit to be Simbala, the wealthy country across the water, ruled by the controversial Hawkwind. Jondalrun leads his country to declare war upon the Simbalese. Meanwhile, Amsel has decided that he must discover the truth of what happened to Johan and journeys further than he ever d ...more
Милен Петров
To be honest, it's actually a pretty decent book, but the title is misleading and leaves you expecting something a bit different. So, here are a few suggestions for alternate titles which are way more honest:
- Byron Preiss' Series of Unfortunate Events (Because of Stupid Decisions Made by Stupid People)
Honestly, not all of them are idiots, some of them are ambitious. This still leads to the same result of a "certain" misunderstanding escalating unnecessarily.
- There Will be Dragons
But only a
Wenn der Name Byron Preiss auftaucht, nehme ich ja meistens schon reißaus. Zu diesem Buch wurde ich gewissermaßen gezwungen, und – na gut, so schlecht ist es gar nicht. Es liest sich durchgehend nett und unterhaltsam, und wenn es vorbei ist, fragt man sich schon ein bisschen, warum das jetzt eigentlich sein musste.
Mike Solomon
Jun 15, 2016 Mike Solomon rated it it was amazing
Read this in high school and loved it. Political intrigue, imaginative setting, wild inventions, lessons on evils of racism and nationalism, and Dragons!!!!
Feb 07, 2016 Tabatha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book even though its really long. I kinda wish there was a series now.
Apr 08, 2016 Victor rated it really liked it
great book I couldn't put it down. the beggining is a bit slow and I wish there is another.
Adrian Rose
Aug 01, 2015 Adrian Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A particularly wonderful story, full of as much social commentary as it is fantasy.
Jessica Grant
Jun 01, 2015 Jessica Grant rated it it was amazing
An amazing story with wonderful illustrations hidden among the pages.
Lindsay T.
Aug 31, 2016 Lindsay T. rated it it was amazing
This is a fantasy novel (complete with dragons) comparable to The Hobbit or The LOTR. There are numerous quests happening in tandem to start and ultimately end a war. This isn't filled with bloodshed so it makes for an easy read. I really enjoyed it.
Sep 26, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Incredibly written! It was not at all what I was expecting from the title or the synopsis. Rather than being about the dragons, the main story focuses on the people of two separate countries and how they are affected by the actions of the creatures.

While it is a wonderfully intricate story, it is not complex or confusing. The characters work wonderfully off each other and they stay true to who they are.

It is a long book, but certainly never boring.
Christi Lupher
I read this my first time bareboating in the Florida Keys. I recall feeling that the combination of sailing and reading about windships was a lovely one.
Michael Karriker
Oct 03, 2010 Michael Karriker rated it it was amazing
The book started off pretty slow, with a lot of background on main and minor characters until about page 200. Then the book picked up pace towards the main conflict. The book then took up a run by splitting between four or five different points of view. From there, it was an all out sprint to the end...and it was worth all the effort. Great book. Worth adding to the permanent collection.
Arlene Allen
Jan 15, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Such a striking feat of world building! Fantasy of the late '70s and early '80s seems so original - I guess it was a second golden age, if you will. It's rare to find a fantasy novel, especially a stand alone, tht could go head to head with these books. (Unless we talk about Kage Baker and Brandon Sanderson, two cuts far above the rest).
Sep 12, 2007 Cameron rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
The illustrations (pen and ink style) in this book are very well done and are a nice addition to the story. The book, while not one of my favorites, was still compelling and I found myself wanting to read just a little more in order to find out what would happen next.
F.J. Hansen
Aug 27, 2010 F.J. Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
I discovered this book in my high school's library, just as my thirst for dragons was starting to bloom.

I found the story to be wonderfully thought out and very interesting. The illustrations were an interesting feature, and all well placed and effective.
Mar 15, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly delightful! I enjoyed the bit of war equals bad morality play, loved the concept of windships and was entranced by many of the players in this lovely fantasy. The artwork throughout was simply lovely. Five of five for this one!
Nikki Coble
Mar 23, 2011 Nikki Coble rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! Awesome plot, story, characters and description. The way that the book is written is unique and that adds to the richness of the story! A highly recommended book that will keep you on your toes and wanting more!
Deane Foster Schulze III
Jan 11, 2008 Deane Foster Schulze III rated it really liked it
Great fairy tale! The illustrations are amazing and really capture the tone of the book. This is one to pass down to a youngster. I'm currently search for my hardback copy....where could it be ;)
Mar 21, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok
The author creates a fantastic world, and book comes complete with some amazing pencil illustrations. Still, a bit too long for its own good. "Dragonworld" was a real struggle to finish.
Apr 17, 2010 deliabookworm rated it really liked it
A long, sweeping, romantic epic, filled with lovely prose and agonizing misunderstandings vaguely reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. Decidedly cliched, but a beautiful book nonetheless.
  • The Deceivers
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
  • Death Draws Five (Wild Cards, #17)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Mark of the Dragon (Mysts of Santerrian, #1)
  • The Enchanter Compleated
  • The Last Defender of Camelot
  • Word Puppets
  • The Kinshield Saga: The Complete Series
  • Digital Domains: A Decade of Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Arcanum 101
  • Bitterwood (Dragon Age, #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2015 Edition
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2015 Edition
  • Requiem's Song (Dawn of Dragons, #1)
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
Byron Preiss was the president of Byron Preiss Visual Publications and Ibooks, and was recognized as a pioneer in digital publishing. He was among the first publishers to release CD-ROM's and electronic books.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Preiss graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1972 and earned a master's degree in communications from Stanford University. He produced The Words of Gandhi,
More about Byron Preiss...