Start by marking “Food For Thought” as Want to Read:
Food For Thought

Food For Thought

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The five concepts every child must learn -- shapes, colors, numbers, ABCs, and opposites -- all in one outrageous book of vivacious veggies and fruits.

The authors of HOW ARE YOU PEELING? serve up a cornucopia of concepts in this big book for brilliant babies. Shapes: Is that a carrot, or a triangle? Colors: Watch for peppers in every range of the rainbow. Numbers: A zero-t
Published February 1st 2005 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Food For Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food For Thought

Linda
Apr 30, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept
Colorful and playful and very creative. Children will enjoy learning their ABCs and 123s looking at the characters and animals made from fruits and vegetables. Parents will enjoy the wit of the authors and illustrators. I laughed out loud at the X-Ray page. How can you not smile when an orange is grinning at you?

From SLJ:
"Smiling oranges, mushroom "men," pepper "people," bananas that look like giraffes, eggplant penguins, and cauliflower sheep are just a few of the delightful food sculptures th
Kaethe
April 3, 2010
The youngest checked this out and I read it aloud last night. Not because the text was too challenging, but to give us all the opportunity to talk about how freaking cool the pictures are, and how they were made, and how much fun it'd be to make food sculptures like this.

Library copy
Emily
Sep 02, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
This colorful and engaging book covers five basic topics for children (shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites) using fruits and vegetables to provide the visuals. Creativity just oozes off every page! I especially love the “Opposites” section. Whether it's mushroom people balancing on a broccoli and rhubarb teeter-totter to illustrate “up” vs. “down” or a huge melon cat staring down at a little radish dog, the images were intriguing, original, and humorous. Mr Freymann is particularly g ...more
Rani
#Veggies #concepts #Childrensbook. In this creative book, veggies play the role of narrators by introducing shapes, colors, letters, numbers and opposites.
Claudia
Apr 13, 2008 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-bk-concept
(SLP) Uses bright photographs of fruit and vegetables shaped like animals and simple labels to teach toddlers shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites.

(Claudia) The standard simple format works fine for the concepts, while the creatures – amazingly constructed of fruits, vegetables, and beans … are comically engaging and invite another layer of inquiry: what ARE those fruits and vegetables?! Toddler-PreS

(SLJ) “The concepts are well executed, and … [c]hildren will thoroughly enjoy the clev
Amanda Hartley
This book is very educational, and it presents shapes, colors, letters, and opposites in a fun way for children to explore and learn
Stacy
Jun 11, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so clever!
Siskiyou-Suzy
Cute big book that children can flip through -- the "basic concepts" things sorta just gives it ideas. I don't know that kids are necessarily going to learn anything. But they do like looking at the food animals a lot!
Jul 25, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites are represented by colorful fruits and vegetables in creative designs. Each concept is illustrated by an anthropomorphic food and the concept word is written out-- such as an artichoke in the shape of a bird representing "1 one bird". The alphabet, numbers, and colors sections are clearly done and extremely helpful in introducing these basic concepts. The shapes section is a little confusing-- the cut carrot representing a triangle actually looks m ...more
Rachel
Jun 27, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book covered concepts, namely: shapes, color, numbers, letters, opposites. I love all the fruits and veggies with faces and expressions, esp the ones involving artichokes, cauliflower sheep, and "Shout" with the screaming orange and the kumquats. Recommended for ages 3-6.
Ashleigh
Incredibly creative! You will never look at veggies the same again. I wouldn't use this as a traditional read aloud, but it would be a great book to use in a whole group discussion.

Includes: shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites.
Alicia
Jun 18, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is such a great book, like the others by this author. I love looking at the pictures and I also like that this book has alphabet, colors and counting. Some of the shapes take a real eye to see, but other than that is is great.
Barbara
Ok, this has to be the ultimate concept book! I love the food art books, but this is a step way up in complexity for this author, covering shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites. I love the sheep... and everything!
Lori
Sep 17, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book that one of the librarians at Brown Mackie College recommended to me. It's a concept book for kids. I brought it to my foodie lit class and my classmates and professor enjoyed it.
Peacegal
Mar 03, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that celebrates the many sides of fruits and veggies. Fun for people of any age to look at, plus it promotes healthy eating by showing just how fun and colorful plant foods can be.
babyhippoface
Jul 06, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Anthropomorphized fruits and veggies to represent shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites. I'm always amazed at the way these guys' minds work. (Not to mention their carving knives.)
Lindsey Black
Jun 21, 2009 Lindsey Black rated it really liked it
We got this from the library and I'm thinking of buying it. Connor LOVED the different shapes and colors, as well as the cute faces on all the fruit. Perfect for a toddler/preschooler.
K
Oct 14, 2009 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I wish they had ditched the shapes section, since the shapes are very difficult to see for a toddler. However, I loved looking at the illustrations with my daughter.
Dave
Mar 21, 2007 Dave rated it it was amazing
Yeah this is the best picture book of all time. It's like being shrunk to ant size and having someone build a zoo out of your refrigerator.
Chelsea
Apr 29, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
My son could not get enough of this book. But since it was from the library, we had to return it. Cute pics and a fun idea. Check this one out!
CFAITC
Sep 27, 2013 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
Shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and opposites are introduced using whimsical sculptures made out of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Luisa
Mar 22, 2012 Luisa rated it it was amazing
We really love reading this book. We got it from a book sale in a parking lot. Best find!
We've had to tape it over and over.
Mary
Jan 25, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
Makes you look at fruits and vegetables in a new way while teaching a child to count, recognize colors and shapes.
Chelsea
Oct 13, 2010 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc, colors
All the illustrations are made with food! Perfect for a 3 to 5 year old who's learning colors, shapes or the alphabet!
Liam
Feb 16, 2015 Liam rated it it was ok
This was a SUPER EASY read!
Children's Services
Dec 18, 2008 Children's Services rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-reads
Most interesting photography/illustrations. Will get kids hungry and thinking about themselves!
Tina
Jun 06, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Whenever I want to be delighted, I look at one of the many photos of food art in this book.
Kate
The chapter on shapes was kind of awkward, but everything else was great.
Kara
Sep 07, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
Great pics! Very simple book but the pictures made it well worth the read!
Lia
Jun 22, 2008 Lia rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly delightful book. The expressive produce is hilarious.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Little Quack's Hide and Seek
  • Feast for 10
  • B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC
  • Farfallina & Marcel
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame
  • Edible Colors