Hanging Up

Hanging Up

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  30 reviews
With an uncanny ability to make readers laugh at the painful, and cry as well, the author of How to Eat Like a Child and Teenage Romance or How to Die of Embarrassment now turns her pen on the baby boomers, in a funny, tender first novel about love, death, and the telephone.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published January 4th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published July 18th 1995)

Jschwabenland1
Now this is a good book! I am savoring every page! Well, it got kind of tedious. Maybe because I've seen the movie. Also, I think I had read part of it before. It didn't give me any more insight into the characters than the movie did, really. Also, I thought the main character should have not been so wishy-washy. And why did the mother leave? It never gave us any introspection on that either.
Beth
A really irritating book that is supposed to be hilariously funny. Unfortunately I was stuck on a plane with nothing else to read. Eve Mozell comes from a dysfunctional family— Eve’s mother left Eve and her two sisters with their bi-polar father to run off with her (the mom’s) environmentally committed lover. Eve grows up, marries, and proceeds to subject her long- suffering husband and well-adjusted son to her own brand of dysfunctionality which primarily consists of spending 30 hours a day on...more
Claudia
You can count on the Ephron sisters for a good woman-to-woman blend of comradery and humor. And a bonus was listening to C.J. Crit read it. She's one of my favorites...an early Stephanie Plum voice. She got the voices and attitudes right on for me. Probably made the book work better for me as well. Whenever I find myself laughing during my commute, the rating stars start adding up. Coincidentally, I just finished Still Alice, a rather serious look at dementia. The juxtaposition of serious agains...more
Mervi
I had a couple of laughs, but sometimes I just wished they would shoot the ol' man and get on with their lives.
Barbara
Funny and sad. It's about three sisters and their crazy father. It's from one sister's, Eve's, point of view. She's the middle sister. The younger sister is irresponsible (a minor role soap actress) and the older sister is a magazine executive who is a bit egocentric and very successful. The dad has mental issues and is mean in a crusty way. Ephron writes very sad situations in very funny ways. I laughed out loud. Yet, it was very sad....much like life at times. I love Ephron's sense of humor. I...more
Jane
I thought this was a good story about how complicated life gets dealing with a parent who is suffering from dementia besides being mentally unbalanced. I had such empathy for Eve and what she had to put up with since this is not uncommon in our generation as our parents age. I highly recommend it and think it would make a good book for a book club discussion.
Amanda
Apr 16, 2010 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit readers who want some depth
While I'm technically classifying this as chick lit, it actually has a lot of depth in it. I was surprised at how issues of family and love and responsibility were met in a very realistic if not painful way.
Dee
This was a book about life, love, and dealing with an elderly alcoholic parent and one's siblings. I enjoyed it. I also liked the movie based on this book that starred Meg Ryan.
Stephanie Cox
I thought this story was very quirky and fun. It is about a very dysfunctional family and how they cope with a manic depressive father.
trina
being that i've acquired a mild case of adhd (for which i blame the internet), i doubted that i'd get into, much less through, this entire novel wherein nothing happens other than the dissection of familial relationships via phone calls. lo and behold, i will not underestimate the power of ephron again. eve is relatable and infuriating, funny and dumb, cold but compassionate to a fault... i liked her a lot more than i should. the dialogue and family relationships are so natural and fucked up, an...more
Christine Sinclair
Funny/sad story of a dysfunctional family (or should I just say "family" since they almost all are?) of three sisters and their annoying elderly father. The best part was the great ending! Gotta see the movie now, directed by Diane Keaton!
Karschtl
Ich kann nicht genau sagen, woran es lag - aber dieses Buch hat mir nicht so recht gefallen, obwohl ich den Film noch ganz passabel fand. Wohl auch weil ich Meg Ryan mag, und der restliche Cast hat seine Rollen ebenfalls sehr gut gespielt.
Debbie
Some parts are funny, and it's a good guessing game to wonder who are the the characters she's taken from real life.

I listened to the book on tape, and the reader was great.
Donna
Great writing at times and Sheer Tedium at others. A middle-of-the-road three star read. I still love the Ephron sisters and will continue to seek out their work.

Krob
I listened to this book. Enjoyed the narrator very much. Identified with story of a woman with a difficult elderly parent and self-absorbed siblings.
MerD
As ususal, the book is much better than the movie, with better character building. Heart renching and funny, I really enjoyed this one.
Lydia
This was fun and a light read, although it was about as serious subject. Anyone with a family will find something to identify with.
GiGi
I listened to this book and really enjoyed it as much of it is telephone conversations. Funny and sad all at the same time.
Jamie
hysterical to me, too close to home with the senile old parent and trying to deal with the aftermath of what they do
Kate
I must cop to liking this chick-lit novel by a favorite humor writer. About family entanglements and estrangements.
Susan
Funny with a ring of truth. Ephron writes of three daughters dealing with their father as he declines.
Rikke Jespersen
I read this when I was at the Azores for Christmas and new years eve... I enjoyed it a lot!
Donna
Why do I like books that make me cry?
MaryBeth
I have this in my nightstand. i roll my joints on it. 2 stars.
Karissa
Hilariously annoying. Seriously full of annoyance.
Margo Iserson
full of laughs. Lots of things that I could relate to.
Amanda
This was so much better than the movie.
Maureen
The Ephron sisters do great dialogue.
  • Dancing with Rose: Finding Life in the Land of Alzheimer's
  • Spent: Memoirs of a Shopping Addict
  • The Bone Parade
  • The Untouchables
  • Unhooked
  • The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life
  • Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak
  • The Haunting of Josie
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Crazy Salad: Some Things About Women (Modern Library Humor and Wit)
  • Bombingham
  • Thinking Out Loud
  • Circle of Three
  • Friends in High Places (Kick Keswick, #4)
  • Another Turn of the Crank
  • Amelia Bedelia Treasury
  • Knit One Pearl One (Jo Mackenzie, #3)
  • The Cook and the Gardener: A Year of Recipes and Notes from the French Countryside
Delia G. Ephron (July 12, 1944) is a screenwriter, author, and producer. She is the sister of Nora Ephron, Amy Ephron, and Hallie Ephron; their parents were screenwriters Henry and Phoebe Ephron. She has written several children's books.

She coauthored the play "Love, Loss, and What I Wore" (based on the book by Ilene Beckerman) with her sister, Nora, and it has played to sold out audiences in Can...more
More about Delia Ephron...
Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc. The Lion is In Frannie in Pieces The Girl with the Mermaid Hair How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up