Start by marking “White Rose: Una Rosa Blanca” as Want to Read:
White Rose:  Una Rosa Blanca

White Rose: Una Rosa Blanca

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Newspaper reporter Karl Decker has seen many covert missions. But nothing prepares him for Evangelina Cisneros--the young Cuban revolutionary he is sent to rescue from a Havana jail. She is America's cause célèbre, a woman whose fiery spirit awakens something previously untouched within him.

Evangelina is slated to be moved from Havana to the Spanish government's most terri
Published October 3rd 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about White Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Rose

A journalist/undercover agent is sent to Cuba to "interview" a young woman who is in prison because of her ties to the revolutionaries in the Cuban/Spanish conflict during the 1890's. His real mission is to break her out and bring her to America to be exploited by the Hearst newspapers and the government. Very short, clipped chapters that get right to the point. Best line in the book: "If you live one day at a time and take things just in the order they are given to you, without trying to get ah ...more
This is a fictionalized account of a true story I knew nothing about. William Hearst's involvement in rescuing a Cuban freedom fighter from prison in the late 1890s. I thought the last 30 pages could have been eliminated, but I enjoyed the rest of the story quite a bit. Hearst sends a newswriter down to Cuba to try to break Angelina Cisneros out of prison, so she can come to the US and get our army to help the Cubans get rid of the Spaniards. Then the plan was we would annex Cuba into the US, li ...more
Judy King
I love books that read like fiction but are about historical characters...this is the case in this book about a Hearst Reporter who goes to Cuba to help free Evangelina Cisneros a young revolutionary of the early 1900s before she is shipped to Spain's African penal colony.
Jori Richardson
"White Rose" is the fictional re-telling of an actual historical event. In 1897, an American journalist and acting spy is sent to rescue Evangelina Cisneros, a young Cuban woman involved in the revolution.
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I read it easily in one sitting - most of the chapters are only about two or three pages long, and written breezily enough to be lightly read. I love stories about Cuba, but this one did not focus very much on the culture of the country, but mainly on the
I want to say, wow add this to our student's curriculum, because I know we just don't have many stories about women in the history of north america, BUT how much of it is fictionalized? I tried to look up the character online and a brief google got almost no information besides this book. too bad. nothing on wikipedia either. maybe it's time for womenpedia?
also, i am so curious when i read things like this, how did the writer decide what to fictionalize? i am left so curious. to me, that is the
Lulu Grace
I loved this book. It was exciting and romantic and just fabulous. Amy Ephron, in my opinion can tell a story like no other. I'm amazed how much she can fit into so few pages. To me? Someone who writes for pleasure almost daily, and who has issues not using a lot of words, I find that anyone who can tell the kinds of stories Ephron does with so few words is a true writer. Sometimes when a writer uses less words to convey their story you feel like you're having to read between a lot of lines and ...more
A wonderful story based on historic facts. A journalist/undercover agent is sent by William Randolph Hurst to Cube to rescue a young female who is fighting for Cuba's freedom from Spain. Could not put it down! Highly recommend it. I have to give it a four and 1/2.
I agree with the reviews that say this is a very well-written book. It is a very quick read (one day for me), but very poignant. Evangelina is an interesting character, as is Karl Decker. Katherine Decker was my favorite character, and any married woman would know why. :) With that said, I think this style of writing is not my favorite. It's very poetic, but that at times gets distracting for someone like me. So that is why it did not garner more stars. Happy reading though to people who enjoy t ...more
What a delightful book that I read it only a couple of sittings tucked up in bed. Short chapters made a great change and the area of history was something I knew nothing about previously.

Looking forward to discussing this at book club next month!!

One of the few books I've seen available about the Cuban Revolution or what we know of as the Spanish American War. It did a great job illustrating how yellow journalism played a critical part in the U.S. involvement. I thought it was great that key players like Hearst, Pulitzer, and Weyler were characters. I did not, however, like the love story part of it. I would have liked to have had more about the revolution and jail conditions. I was not a fan of the ending.
Mindy Sauve
I didn't enjoy this novel nearly as much as the other two I read by Amy Ephron. I found the story and the characters slightly confusing at first, then the story became clearer and picked up some speed. I thought the ending was flat with business left unfinsished. I do like her style of writing and her ability in these short novels to tell a bigger story. I just think she could have come up with a better ending.
Diane C.

This book was economically and beautfully written, I enjoyed and was entralled by every page. Intelligent thriller/romance rolled into one. Cuba in 1897, still under Spanish rule, but with the Hearst papers trying to undermine it every step of the way as he sends a reporter to an infamous Cuban prison to interview and plan the break out of a young, beautiful revolutionary to take back to NYC.

Patricia Paloni
Exciting, shows that even tho many years have passed things have not changed as far as men being away from home. The thrill of a strong woman over powered his better judgement. Katherine Decker stood by her man as expected, then did what I think was the bravest of all walked away! Turns out she was also a strong women. The troubled times of Cuba come to life in this tale of adventure.
LOVED this book. One of the most concise (sp?) books I've read in a very long time. I really enjoyed this book, almost every page. It's a fast read but you don't feel jipped. The ending was bittersweet and I was sad about somethings that happened. It really got me interested in Cuban history as well. I think if you're even the slightest bit interested you should read it.
Great historical fiction. Can't understand why her reviews aren't higher.

This is something I knew nothing about, having forgotten everything I might have learned in school. I googled the subject and that isbwasnin fact the truth and Evangilina was a real person and was brought to the United States to convince us to assist Cuba and that from the Spanish American war we had engaged in our own form of imperialism.
A curious book. Excellently written, and a very engaging story. It was an interesting mix of being specific to its time and place in history; and universal in its events and characters. Looking forward to discussing it at book club.
Reporter rescues a revolutionary woman from a Cuban prison (Evangelina Cisneros; financed by William Hurst at the turn of the Century. The reporter falls in love with her and puts his wife and son in danger. True story.
Monica Wilson
A story of Cuba in the 1890s - a 19 year old female revolutionary and an American reporter who comes to find out her story and ends up falling in love with her. Based on true events. Interesting historical fiction.
I would have NEVER picked this book to read but a bookclub I was in did and I was pleasantly surprised. Incredibly interesting, easy to read, great characters....insightful...I loved it.
Well written. I felt like I took a trip to Havana through descriptions of the area. Amazing what some go through in living what they believe in.
This book was interesting but overall I didn't think that the author developed the characters as well as she could have.
This is a quick-read, especially for historical fiction. It was a perfect airplane-ride-over-spring-break book.
Sort of a Cuban In the Time of the Butterflies. I like the different points of view. Well written.
Fantastic book~ Chapters are short and keep you wanting more.
Enjoy Epron's style of writing.
Telisha Galizio
Telisha Galizio marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
  • The Loss of Leon Meed
  • Mexico
  • The Sultan's Shadow: One Family's Rule at the Crossroads of East and West
  • Crucifax
  • The Two Destinies (Pocket Classics)
  • The People's Guide to Mexico
  • The Fourth Angel (Georgia Skeehan, #1)
  • When Memory Dies