Start by marking “The Baby Goes Beep” as Want to Read:

Splash
Smooch!
Busy Baby!
Published July 18th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Goes Beep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Goes Beep

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Fetch by Adam Glendon SidwellMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Toddlers Ages 1-3
60th out of 155 books — 78 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Smile! by Roberta Grobel IntraterWhere Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen KatzEat! by Roberta Grobel IntraterMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Great Books for Babies
20th out of 96 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Shanshad Whelan
Since I can't figure out how to disconnect the board book and the hardcover, I'll have to note things here. I give five stars to the hardcover which is by far one of my favorite read alouds for any child under two years old.

I give only three stars for the board book which is a trimmed down version of the same said book. It cuts out one repetition of the action word and completely breaks up the reading beat. I found myself adding the missing text back in to balance the read. Really am not a fan o
Hyrum
Jun 06, 2011 Hyrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a chilling reminder of how everything fun like bath time is really just a ploy to get me to sleep. I'm going to be much more suspicious of any time my parent's pay attention to me.
This book really opened my eyes to the horror of what people are capable of when their baby doesn't want to go to sleep. I know that parent's aren't bad.... they just do bad things like give me baths when they are sleep deprived. Just be aware.
Heather
Jun 08, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
H likes the sounds but I think even he is craving more. I was glad to read another review and know that there is a hardcover version that is longer and more complete. I am not a fan of board books that hack apart the original and as a result leave the reader lacking and wanting more. Baby will enjoy the sounds you make when you read the book but not worth owning the board book version. I'll be happy to return this one to the library.
Terry
The book was well worth my while after seeing how much my son loved the book and was laughing throughout each reading. It's hard to argue with a book that actually captures the attention of my son and instills a positive association with books during a time in his life where it is difficult to get him to sit still. I did not like this book. I felt underwhelmed by the text, unimpressed by the illustrations, and I felt like an absolute idiot as I read the text, which is a rare thing for me. I have ...more
Natalie Molnar
The baby goes hit was a hit at baby storytime--the parents really got in into providing the sound effects! The art was simple and high-contrast enough for even our younger babies to see, and the repetition helped everyone find a fun rhythm to follow along with. For a less attentive group, the sound effects would have helped catch their attention.
Elizabeth Johnson
Really fun - or maybe I just had a good group of parents? Either way, I had the parents and kids do hand motions throughout the book. So, for "the baby goes beep" I had everyone say "beep" while pushing their nose or their little one's nose. Everyone really participated and that made it so fun.
Maggie
Jun 24, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 577-the-list
2004 Zolotow Honor

This book would make a perfect baby storytime book (which I'll probably be picking up soon at the library). Lots of silly noises for babies to make along with the parents, and parents can have fun beeping and booping their children as the story goes on.
Ruhama
Jan 21, 2009 Ruhama rated it it was amazing
I finally got my copy in! This picture book won the Charlotte Zolotow honor this year and follows a baby throughout his/her day (I’m guessing it’s a boy, but it could be either). This is a noisy book, and begs to be read aloud and then acted out, especially for anyone with toddlers in the house. I could see older siblings enjoying the rhymes and activities and performing some of them with their baby brother or sister. Illustrator Ken Wilson-Max has bright colors, clever interpretations (e.g. “th ...more
Linda
May 11, 2016 Linda rated it did not like it
Shelves: 25-picture-books
This book is loaded with repetition and could almost be an easy reader except for the fact that the noise words are not all common words. I would not necessarily use this book in the classroom because I thought it did not offer enough.
Bethany
Sep 17, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it
The illustrations aren't my cup of tea, but the rhythm, actions, and opportunity for interaction with your baby are infectiously fun. My 1yo, who won't sit still for a book, sat on my lap for two rounds of this!
Cara Byrne
Feb 25, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
This is a sweet, brief book that captures the sounds a baby makes and hears throughout his/her day, including "beep," "la la la," "yum, yum" and "shh shh shh." A baby story time read.
Jo Miller
Lots of repetition of words and is an easy read. My need to help by assisting with different "sounds" that is in the book. The book has big pictures and writing.
Brittany Schaefer
This book had great colorful pictures, it also had a lot of repeating words about what the baby does. That would be a good book for younger ages for repetition.
Tiffany
Nov 18, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The baby makes different noises like shh, beep, and yum. Good for repetition. Good for storytime with toddlers and babies. Illustrations simple yet colorful and lively.
Brooke Parmely
This book uses a lot of repetition, which is great for young children. It shares every day activities young children take part it for example, bath time.
Donna Bausch
Large, colorful illustrations keep little ones listening in this book about a toddlers busy day. Rhyming, repetitive text increases vocabulary.
Stephanie Klaren
This is a great book for infants and toddlers because it is very repetitive. The pictures are colorful and easy to follow.
Melissa
Dec 03, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
One of today's story time selections. If we came up with actions for each of the sounds, I think it would be even better.
Karissa Butikofer
May 11, 2016 Karissa Butikofer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a book about things a baby does. This has a lot of repetition to it which helps in building vocabulary.
Laurie Post
May 11, 2016 Laurie Post rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute book for young children. A lot of repetition in this story that is great for young children.
Rachael
Jun 17, 2014 Rachael rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1kbbk
2 stars for the board book but I'll update when I read the hardcover which I've read is more complete.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Mar 04, 2016 Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-storytime
Really cute choice for baby time. Would be fun to do with some rhythm sticks.
Casandria
Mar 18, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, baby, picture
A cute little book about noises babies hear every day.
Brandy
Sep 28, 2011 Brandy added it
Shelves: childrens, 2011
I wasn't going to list the board books as things I actually read this year, but I think once you've read it thirty-five thousand times you're entitled to count it in your totals.

Worth noting: the board book version skips "the baby goes LA," and also condenses the rhythm to a 1-4 (instead of 1-2-4), so it's just "the baby goes BEEP; the baby goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP." Still, my toddler loves this book, and has taken to flipping to the back page ("the baby goes shhhh") and pointing to it when he's
Eduardo Baskervill
Mar 24, 2015 Eduardo Baskervill rated it liked it
One of Kayla's favorites.
Cheyenne
Lexi LOVES this book. She loves to make the sounds in the book.
Update 8/14/14 - Lexi still LOVES this book!
Lisa
Jan 25, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby, board-books
Loved it! We say this one around the house.
Josh
Nov 16, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
These simple noises really interest our baby. And the rhythm and pictures really add to the overall read-aloud experience. One word of warning - try and get the hardcover version. The board book version actually cuts out one whole sound and also ruins the rising rhythm by removing the middle line of each stanza.
Vicki
Mar 14, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun one to read in either baby storytime or toddler storytime. I liked reading it super-rhythmically, and having the parents and toddlers help me make actions and noises. Because the sounds repeat themselves about 4 times, it gives everybody enough time to get in on it. Fun book!
Parry Rigney
Jan 15, 2013 Parry Rigney rated it it was amazing
Pretty much the perfect baby storytime book. Bright pictures; repetitive, rhythmic, and spare (!) text; and depictions of everyday activities (bathing, eating, reading, banging on things, etc.)that are familiar to baby. Parents can easily join in, and the presenter can easily memorize the text.
  • Hello, Day!
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • Clip-Clop
  • Yawn
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Big Fat Hen
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • This Little Chick