Start by marking “The Countess de Charny” as Want to Read:
The Countess de Charny

The Countess de Charny (The Marie Antoinette Romances #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  215 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This swashbuckling yarn is the continuation of the story in "Memoirs of a physician," "The Queen's necklace," and "Six Years Later."
Published July 1st 2008 by Classic Books Library (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about The Countess de Charny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Countess de Charny

Sara
Feb 20, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Alexandre Dumas is my 2nd favorite author of all time - I can't put his books down - they are too much fun!
Frank
Sep 20, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
I love Alexandre Dumas for his almost intimate knowledge of history, and his ability to make you intimate with it as well. He brings historical figures to life, as people. This is the story of the royal family in the last days of the monarchy of France and the struggles of the people on every side, and more than their historical struggle, their personal struggles as well.
Yves
Jan 03, 2013 Yves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ce dernier tome du cycle des Mémoires d'un Médecin sert de conclusion à la saga. C'est la fin du règne de Louis XVI et le début de la république. C'est aussi dans ce livre que l'on apprend le destin tragique de beaucoup des personnages du livre.

La Comtesse de Charny est beaucoup plus dans l'historique que de la fiction. Je dois avouer que j'en ai beaucoup appris sur la révolution française et les débuts de la Terreur grâce à ce roman de Dumas. J'en ai beaucoup appris surtout sur Marie-Antoinette
Ladiibbug
Historical Fiction - #4 Marie Antoinette series

This 505 page book was way too long. It could easily be cut down by one half imo. It was a real slog to get through, but with approx. 1,500 pages read in books 1-3, which were much more enjoyable, I kept waiting for Dumas's exciting writing to appear. It didn't.

Looking forward to finishing this series next month with book 5 The Knight of Maison-Rouge.

The publisher of this 2006 edition, "Waking Lion Press, an imprint of The Emporium", released this
Czarny Pies
Mar 03, 2016 Czarny Pies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-lit
La comtesse de Charny est le quatrième roman du cycle des "Mémoires d'un médécin." Hélas cette série qui n'atteint nulle des sommets d'excellence finit en queue de poisson avec cette oeuvre très ratée.

La structure de la Comtesse de Charny n'est pas basée sur l'intrigue du protagoniste. Plutot, le roman offre un récit détaillée de tous les événéments de la Révolution francaise entre le 5 octobre 1789 (la journée de la révolte du peuple de Pies) et le 21 janvier 1793 (la jounée de l'exécution de L
Rosia_lady
Feb 03, 2014 Rosia_lady rated it it was ok
I don't like this book, it it to long, 2 volumes with 600 pages each other. It was very boring, I couldn't finished it. I feel so disapointed, because Dumas books are awesome but this book was so painful to read. So I said to myself if I don't like a book I can't read it until the end, so I have to start a new one that speaks to me.

Ok, the plot was good , but the author insisted to much on details, pages of details . This book have some parts that are very hard to read, those parts are like hic
Olivierco
Nov 06, 2011 Olivierco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, in-french
As it is often the case for Dumas' novels, most versions referenced on Goodreads are abridged versions.
This novel covers the French Revolution until the dead of Louis XVI. Many pages are devoted to the description (with some minor inaccuracies though) of historical facts, leaving little place to the novel itself.
Lady Grey
3 *:
So loooong, it would be a could story, if some parts would be missing. I feeled like I were reading a school book about history. Too much of characters. And I don understnad the title, it wasn't mainly about her.
Allen Martens
Allen Martens rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2011
Tsaka
Tsaka rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Inadinamo
Inadinamo rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Kasia Bacon
Kasia Bacon rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Marisol Avalos
Marisol Avalos rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Elena Gheorghe
Elena Gheorghe rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2013
Karen Burgers
Karen Burgers rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
AsyaP
AsyaP rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Sylwia
Sylwia rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Philipe
Philipe rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Victor Cioban
Victor Cioban rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Chris Kostov
Chris Kostov rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
El Ray
El Ray rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
John Pattillo
John Pattillo rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Lavinia
Lavinia rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Lucrèce-Françoise
Lucrèce-Françoise rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Mwrogers
Mwrogers rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Georgiana Mihaila
Georgiana Mihaila rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
May 12, 2009
Chase
Chase rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Family Without a Name: Into the Abyss
  • The Queen of Diamonds
  • Bug-Jargal
  • The Ball At Sceaux
  • Йоан Асен II (Асеневци # 3)
  • Гласовете ви чувам
  • Miss or Mrs?/ The Haunted Hotel/ The Guilty River
  • Fables and Fairytales
  • In the Reign of Terror: The Adventures of a Westminster Boy
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • The Original Illustrated Mark Twain
  • The Pirate
  • The Tragic Muse
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...

The Marie Antoinette Romances (5 books)
  • Joseph Balsamo