Start by marking “The Day Lincoln Was Shot” as Want to Read:
The Day Lincoln Was Shot

The Day Lincoln Was Shot

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  762 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Gripping, minute-by-minute account of the day President Lincoln was struck down by an assassin's bullet in Ford's Theatre. Parallels of the activities of the President with those of his assassin in an unforgettable, suspense- filled chronicle. 320 pages.
Published August 22nd 1984 by Gramercy (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Lincoln Was Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Lincoln Was Shot

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson
Best Non-fiction American History Books
81st out of 1,252 books — 1,730 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfUlysses by James JoyceA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensA Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
A Single Day
31st out of 100 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Fawaz Ali
Nov 21, 2009 Fawaz Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: platinum-list
This is an hour by hour account of the events leading to Lincoln's assassination by John Wilkes Booth. Jim Bishop's ability to capture the political mood of the era and the times and lives of people is nothing short of spectacular if not magical. The reader will discover that the chain of events leading to the death of Lincoln was filled with twists and turns. From Lincoln's strange dream that he was going to be assassinated to John Wilkes Booth failed multiple plans to kidnap and then kill the ...more
Timothy Bott
Oct 18, 2014 Timothy Bott rated it really liked it
I decided to give the book a rating of four stars because I felt that it gave great information of the day Lincoln was shot from multiple points of view and it will allow you to imagine this Memorial Day in a way similar to those who were alive at the time. At times the story went very slowly for me and it is most likely because I am not old enough yet to enjoy books which include so much information and factual text, so it can definitely seem boring to some people. This is why I would recommend ...more
Henry Sturcke
May 29, 2015 Henry Sturcke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why is it that individual acts of monstrous evil fascinate us, moving us more than hearing on the news that another ten thousand have perished in an earthquake or a volcano outbreak? That being the case, this book is a great read.
I first read it in grade school, then persuaded our teacher to let me turn it into a play. I was Lincoln, of course; I cast Deborah, on whom I had an undying crush (her family moved away that summer and I never heard of her again -- isn't that the perfect way for a grad
Bryan Schmidt
Jun 24, 2010 Bryan Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Read this in high school and I still remember what a great read it was. A historical recreation that reads like a novel. The story of events surrounding the assassination of the president. Great read for history buffs or anyone else.
Linda
Sep 11, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
A very interesting and compelling telling of the events leading to the assassination of President Lincoln. Very well written. There were a few parts that were a little gory, but very true to the actual events.
Graceann
Dec 16, 2015 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Shelves: history
From my rudimentary look at Jim Bishop's books, it appears that "The Day" stories were his specialty. This book was an instant bestseller, and he followed it up with The Day Christ Died, The Day Kennedy Was Shot, and FDR's Last Year, which were among the 21 books that he wrote over his lifetime.

The Day Lincoln Was Shot is certainly my favorite read for this month and it may make my top five for the year. Bishop writes in a style that is eminently readable, while still being non-fiction. Nothing
Q. Kelly
Sep 17, 2011 Q. Kelly rated it really liked it
Q. Kelly A few months ago, my grandmother said she had too many books and to come grab 'em up. So I went. And grabbed. A lot. Old MAD magazines and books nonfiction and fiction, of all genres. I've read six of these books so far and rated some on Goodreads (I particularly liked "Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren't Fair"). But this is my first written review of a book from that stash. "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" by Jim Bishop touched me in a way that is hard to explain. It probably has something ...more
Superiu
Nov 30, 2011 Superiu rated it it was amazing
Directo de mi blog:

El día de ayer, pero 1865 el presidente gringo Abraham Lincoln recibió un balazo en la sien a manos de John Wilkes Booth. A pesar de que el disparo fue mortal, Lincoln murió hasta las 7:22 del día 15. El título del post corresponde a la "novela/documental" sobre el día en que Lincoln murió. El autor, Jim Bishop, llevó a cabo una investigación detallada sobre la muerte del presidente con datos originales de los eventos, desde las 7 am del 14 de abril, hasta las 7 am del 15.

El l
Judy
Jan 28, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Jim Bishop was working on another book about a day in the life of JFK when the assassination occurred. This book followed. It's as detailed as the one he wrote about Lincoln's assassination. On Nov.22, 1963 I was student teaching a class of ninth graders in World Geography at a high school in Virginia. The principal came on the intercom and announced the death. The nation was glued to the TV for several days. What a nightmare.
Norm Minekime
Apr 26, 2015 Norm Minekime rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was a teenager. I decided to re-read it for the 150th Anniversary of the Lincoln assassination. Just a basic overview of the events of the 24 hours leading up to the assassination, ending with Lincoln's death. Although the book is 60 years old, its straight forward recitation of the facts about this important historical moment make it still relevant today. I always loved Jim Bishop, reading his newspaper column regularly when I was in high school. He took a solid jo ...more
Kathy
May 26, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Outstanding depiction of the last twenty-four hours of President Abraham Lincoln. Very well written--hard to put down. This book also follows the activities of John Wilkes Booth and his conspirators, as well as the other characters in this world-rocking event. I was touched by Lincoln's premonitions of his own fate, and by his gentle stoicism in the face of his huge responsibilities.
Barry
May 12, 2015 Barry rated it it was amazing
Honey I'm in award-winning historian and this is one of the books that originally began my fascination with history. While later scholarship is drawn some of the conclusions into question, no one has equaled Jim Bishop for his ability to write serious history and see if it was a novel bringing to life personality, coincidence and climate
Stephen Terrell
Jan 12, 2015 Stephen Terrell rated it liked it
Written in 1955, this book still vividly brings to life the final day of Abraham Lincoln's life. Bishop meticulously traces the steps of each major character, and many of the lesser characters, from 7 a.m. on April 14, 1865 when Lincoln walked into his office, until 7:22 a.m. April 15, when the 16th President drew his last breath.

Bishop places the story in its proper context among the conclusion of the Civil War. We also develop a multidimensional picture of John Wilkes Booth, and his overwhelmi
William
Oct 14, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
All history books should be written by Jim Bishop. He is able to bring the past to life with wonderful story telling that doesn't lose any details. This book taught me more about Lincoln than I have ever gotten out of classes and lessons. I had no clue that he disliked his wife and that John W Booth had failed so many times in his attempts. The deep research involved in such a writing must make it almost impossible to create history books in its image. Yet, we could do with less encyclopedia-lik ...more
Valerie
Feb 20, 2014 Valerie rated it liked it
Historical books are not really my thing, but I was impressed at the author's ability to take hundreds of accounts of one incident and make them into one seamless story. It was interesting in that regard.
Chad
Feb 04, 2013 Chad rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent, factual history of the 24 hour period (plus a few hours and a couple chapters of background) surrounding Lincoln's death. The book reads like a novel (probably due as much to the event itself as the writing) and is very well researched. The author is clear about his intentions and about what portions of the book are his best guesses rather than uncontroverted fact. This is not just the story of Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth, but rather provides great information about all ...more
Dick
May 26, 2010 Dick rated it really liked it
I read this book - paperback version - in high school. Had forgotten how well it was researched, how much detail Bishop included in the story and developing the truth about the characters.

The book covers from early in the morning of April 14, 1865 to just after 7 on the morning of the 15th when Lincoln finally passed away.

He was a very good writer and did considerable research before writing the book.

Mary Anne Moore found it - hard cover - at a used book sale, got it and sent it to me.

This is r
Phair
Apr 04, 2016 Phair rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
High school history assigned read?
Pete
Jan 17, 2013 Pete rated it really liked it
A detailed account of the 24 hours leading up to Lincoln's assassinations. I was generally unfamiliar with the story so I found much of interest in Mr. Bishop's account. It is more than a timeline, as he deftly delves into the life of each major participant. For instance I had no idea that there were co-conspirators and that other officials including the Vice President were targeted that day. This is my first foray into Civil War history, and I know I shall read much more as a result of the inte ...more
Mo
Feb 17, 2013 Mo rated it it was amazing
I read this book ages ago, yet I still remember how it grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. Let's face it, we all know how the story ends, so no surprises there. Yet the author absolutely made these few days in history come alive. And I really had / have no interest in this time period. Well, at least not from a Northener's perspective. Gone With The Wind had made such an impression on me that I was never a Lincoln fan.

This book was fascinating. I highly recommend it.
Mickey
Jul 06, 2011 Mickey rated it it was amazing
An hour-by-hour account of the last day of Abraham Lincoln. One of the most fascinating books on Lincoln that I've ever read. You might think that the structure of the book might be too small of a canvas to really get a good picture of the characters, but Bishop does not confine himself to that one day. The details show a personal side to Lincoln as a man and the people around him that I found refreshing. This book is not to be missed!
Suzanne
Mar 18, 2016 Suzanne rated it liked it
I was excited about starting this book but as I moved forward I lost interest. Some of the sentences were poorly constructed. I also felt the book was a little jumpy. It was interesting though to review the historical event of his death hour to hour.
Robbie
Mar 26, 2012 Robbie rated it liked it
An interesting personal approach to Lincoln's final day, this book really makes me feel "there," present for every event, hour by hour, and occasionally times before or after. At times there were monotonous descriptive bits, but they never detracted too much to the books entertainment value, paired with facts. Of course, I'm just a disinterested student, so I didn't love it, but it's not something to hate.
Dave Cox II
Mar 18, 2015 Dave Cox II rated it really liked it
Very well written. Recommended - rather simple to read.
Aubz92
Aug 31, 2008 Aubz92 rated it really liked it
"I thought this book was interesting for the most part but a little boring in places. Most of the time it told of his life and John Wilkes Booth with all the conspirators, but then Bishop added in little stories of other peoples lives that weren't relative to Abrahan Lincoln. Overall though I thought it was a really well done book."
Nancy Ellis
Mar 24, 2012 Nancy Ellis rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book!!! An old classic for Civil War students and one of my all-time favorites! An hour by hour journal of the 12 hours before and 12 hours after Lincoln is shot, as well as some very interesting background info. Makes you feel as if you were there....which I admit, I wish I were....:)
Sue
Jul 10, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
What a great presentation of very well researched facts. It reads like a mystery, even though you know the ending. It also shows how our security has had to evolve according to the evolution of our society (or de-evolution). This is a 1953 book, but it connects to this decades politics too.
Michael
Feb 17, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, history
I found this book on my parents' bookshelf when I was in high school. I think I read it twice a year for the next five years. It is a masterful telling of a historical event. The hour by hour account of the day Lincoln died reads like a gritty crime novel that you can't put down.
Jacob
Jul 06, 2016 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: us-history
What a great glance at such a powerful point of American history. I wish the author had finished the story past the 24 hour mark. I would have liked greater details about the capture of the conspirators but just the same I enjoyed the book immensely.
Pat
Mar 09, 2008 Pat rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. One of my favorite books.... I actuaaly have a letter written to me by Mr. Bishop when he was a columinist in Florida. My great Aunt Alice who lived in Florida knew I liked his books so she ask him to send me a letter.
  • Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington
  • Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon
  • "We are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life
  • Blood on the Moon: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln
  • American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies
  • Honor's Voice: The Transformation of Abraham Lincoln
  • "They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance
  • The Age of Lincoln
  • Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution
  • Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates That Defined America
  • Lincoln  President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
  • Abraham Lincoln: The Man Behind the Myths
  • Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • The Eloquent President: A Portrait of Lincoln Through His Words
  • Abraham Lincoln (The American Presidents, #16)
  • House of Abraham: Lincoln and the Todds: A Family Divided by War
James Alonzo "Jim" Bishop (November 21, 1907 – July 26, 1987) was an American journalist and author.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, he dropped out of school after eighth grade. In 1923, he studied typing, shorthand and bookkeeping, and in 1929 began work as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. In 1930, he got a job as a cub reporter at New York Daily Mirror, where he worked until 1943, when he
More about Jim Bishop...