Start by marking “The Day Lincoln Was Shot” as Want to Read:
The Day Lincoln Was Shot

The Day Lincoln Was Shot

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Gripping, minute-by-minute account of the day President Lincoln was struck down by an assassin's bullet in Ford's Theatre. Parallels of the activities of the President with those of his assassin in an unforgettable, suspense- filled chronicle. 320 pages.
Published August 22nd 1984 by Gramercy (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Lincoln Was Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Lincoln Was Shot

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson
Best American History Books
74th out of 1,005 books — 1,408 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareUlysses by James JoyceMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
A Single Day
31st out of 98 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Fawaz Ali
This is an hour by hour account of the events leading to Lincoln's assassination by John Wilkes Booth. Jim Bishop's ability to capture the political mood of the era and the times and lives of people is nothing short of spectacular if not magical. The reader will discover that the chain of events leading to the death of Lincoln was filled with twists and turns. From Lincoln's strange dream that he was going to be assassinated to John Wilkes Booth failed multiple plans to kidnap and then kill the...more
Stephen Terrell
Written in 1955, this book still vividly brings to life the final day of Abraham Lincoln's life. Bishop meticulously traces the steps of each major character, and many of the lesser characters, from 7 a.m. on April 14, 1865 when Lincoln walked into his office, until 7:22 a.m. April 15, when the 16th President drew his last breath.

Bishop places the story in its proper context among the conclusion of the Civil War. We also develop a multidimensional picture of John Wilkes Booth, and his overwhelmi...more
Timothy Bott
I decided to give the book a rating of four stars because I felt that it gave great information of the day Lincoln was shot from multiple points of view and it will allow you to imagine this Memorial Day in a way similar to those who were alive at the time. At times the story went very slowly for me and it is most likely because I am not old enough yet to enjoy books which include so much information and factual text, so it can definitely seem boring to some people. This is why I would recommend...more
Bryan Schmidt
Read this in high school and I still remember what a great read it was. A historical recreation that reads like a novel. The story of events surrounding the assassination of the president. Great read for history buffs or anyone else.
Linda
A very interesting and compelling telling of the events leading to the assassination of President Lincoln. Very well written. There were a few parts that were a little gory, but very true to the actual events.
Q. Kelly
Q. Kelly A few months ago, my grandmother said she had too many books and to come grab 'em up. So I went. And grabbed. A lot. Old MAD magazines and books nonfiction and fiction, of all genres. I've read six of these books so far and rated some on Goodreads (I particularly liked "Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren't Fair"). But this is my first written review of a book from that stash. "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" by Jim Bishop touched me in a way that is hard to explain. It probably has something...more
Superiu
Directo de mi blog:

El día de ayer, pero 1865 el presidente gringo Abraham Lincoln recibió un balazo en la sien a manos de John Wilkes Booth. A pesar de que el disparo fue mortal, Lincoln murió hasta las 7:22 del día 15. El título del post corresponde a la "novela/documental" sobre el día en que Lincoln murió. El autor, Jim Bishop, llevó a cabo una investigación detallada sobre la muerte del presidente con datos originales de los eventos, desde las 7 am del 14 de abril, hasta las 7 am del 15.

El l...more
Kathy
Outstanding depiction of the last twenty-four hours of President Abraham Lincoln. Very well written--hard to put down. This book also follows the activities of John Wilkes Booth and his conspirators, as well as the other characters in this world-rocking event. I was touched by Lincoln's premonitions of his own fate, and by his gentle stoicism in the face of his huge responsibilities.
William
All history books should be written by Jim Bishop. He is able to bring the past to life with wonderful story telling that doesn't lose any details. This book taught me more about Lincoln than I have ever gotten out of classes and lessons. I had no clue that he disliked his wife and that John W Booth had failed so many times in his attempts. The deep research involved in such a writing must make it almost impossible to create history books in its image. Yet, we could do with less encyclopedia-lik...more
Valerie
Historical books are not really my thing, but I was impressed at the author's ability to take hundreds of accounts of one incident and make them into one seamless story. It was interesting in that regard.
Chad
This was an excellent, factual history of the 24 hour period (plus a few hours and a couple chapters of background) surrounding Lincoln's death. The book reads like a novel (probably due as much to the event itself as the writing) and is very well researched. The author is clear about his intentions and about what portions of the book are his best guesses rather than uncontroverted fact. This is not just the story of Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth, but rather provides great information about all...more
Dick
I read this book - paperback version - in high school. Had forgotten how well it was researched, how much detail Bishop included in the story and developing the truth about the characters.

The book covers from early in the morning of April 14, 1865 to just after 7 on the morning of the 15th when Lincoln finally passed away.

He was a very good writer and did considerable research before writing the book.

Mary Anne Moore found it - hard cover - at a used book sale, got it and sent it to me.

This is r...more
Pete
A detailed account of the 24 hours leading up to Lincoln's assassinations. I was generally unfamiliar with the story so I found much of interest in Mr. Bishop's account. It is more than a timeline, as he deftly delves into the life of each major participant. For instance I had no idea that there were co-conspirators and that other officials including the Vice President were targeted that day. This is my first foray into Civil War history, and I know I shall read much more as a result of the inte...more
Mo
I read this book ages ago, yet I still remember how it grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. Let's face it, we all know how the story ends, so no surprises there. Yet the author absolutely made these few days in history come alive. And I really had / have no interest in this time period. Well, at least not from a Northener's perspective. Gone With The Wind had made such an impression on me that I was never a Lincoln fan.

This book was fascinating. I highly recommend it.
Mickey
An hour-by-hour account of the last day of Abraham Lincoln. One of the most fascinating books on Lincoln that I've ever read. You might think that the structure of the book might be too small of a canvas to really get a good picture of the characters, but Bishop does not confine himself to that one day. The details show a personal side to Lincoln as a man and the people around him that I found refreshing. This book is not to be missed!
Robbie
An interesting personal approach to Lincoln's final day, this book really makes me feel "there," present for every event, hour by hour, and occasionally times before or after. At times there were monotonous descriptive bits, but they never detracted too much to the books entertainment value, paired with facts. Of course, I'm just a disinterested student, so I didn't love it, but it's not something to hate.
Aubz92
"I thought this book was interesting for the most part but a little boring in places. Most of the time it told of his life and John Wilkes Booth with all the conspirators, but then Bishop added in little stories of other peoples lives that weren't relative to Abrahan Lincoln. Overall though I thought it was a really well done book."
Nancy Ellis
I LOVE this book!!! An old classic for Civil War students and one of my all-time favorites! An hour by hour journal of the 12 hours before and 12 hours after Lincoln is shot, as well as some very interesting background info. Makes you feel as if you were there....which I admit, I wish I were....:)
Sue
What a great presentation of very well researched facts. It reads like a mystery, even though you know the ending. It also shows how our security has had to evolve according to the evolution of our society (or de-evolution). This is a 1953 book, but it connects to this decades politics too.
Michael
I found this book on my parents' bookshelf when I was in high school. I think I read it twice a year for the next five years. It is a masterful telling of a historical event. The hour by hour account of the day Lincoln died reads like a gritty crime novel that you can't put down.
Jacob
What a great glance at such a powerful point of American history. I wish the author had finished the story past the 24 hour mark. I would have liked greater details about the capture of the conspirators but just the same I enjoyed the book immensely.
Pat
This is a great read. One of my favorite books.... I actuaaly have a letter written to me by Mr. Bishop when he was a columinist in Florida. My great Aunt Alice who lived in Florida knew I liked his books so she ask him to send me a letter.
Steve
If you haven't noticed the trend in my reading this book should help you discover my passion for reading, history, true history. Bishop does a good job of reinforcing known facts, dispelling myths and providing the reason for Lincoln's death.
Penny
I read this book the first time at about age 13 and I remember how moved and intrigued I was, so when Killing Lincoln was published, it only made me want to read this one again. I wanted to know if it was as good as I remembered. It was.
Diane

The book says " heart stopping action " and I think that's going a little far. It's historical but nothing spectacular. Probably a quick read if you were interested to know exactly what the conspirators plans were.
Monk
The material is dated, but this is a fascinating way to approach the Lincoln assasination story. The hour-by-hour approach gives a great deal of insight into Lincoln and the conspirators. Really enjoyed this one.
Daniel Messick
Terrific hour by hour accounting of the time leading up to the assassination of Lincoln.
I would have liked more in depth accounting of the eventual capture/killing of J. Wilkes Booth and the other conspirators.
Deb
This is my second reading, actually...listening. Both times I experienced The Day Lincoln was Shot as an audiobook. The narrator was first rate. Lots of details and insights. Glad I listened to it a second time.
Pedro Dos
An hour by hour account of the day Lincoln got shot. A very well written book that has the reader craving for more information as you read it. Who need the show 24 when you have a great story like this one that is real!
Bonnie
I really enjoyed reading this book. A lot of insight into what was going on around the President at the time and some "educated guesses" of approximately how things went. Very interesting.
  • Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon
  • American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies
  • Blood on the Moon: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life
  • Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
  • Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Lincoln  President-Elect : Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
  • President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows
  • Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse
  • Glory Road
  • Lincoln's Sword: The Presidency and the Power of Words
  • Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution
  • The Madness of Mary Lincoln
  • Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America
  • Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and the War Years
James Alonzo "Jim" Bishop (November 21, 1907 – July 26, 1987) was an American journalist and author.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, he dropped out of school after eighth grade. In 1923, he studied typing, shorthand and bookkeeping, and in 1929 began work as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. In 1930, he got a job as a cub reporter at New York Daily Mirror, where he worked until 1943, when he...more
More about Jim Bishop...
The Day Christ Died The Day Kennedy Was Shot The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died The Day Christ Was Born: The True Account of the First 24 Hours of Jesus's Life A Day in the Life of President Kennedy