Start by marking “To Thine Own Self Be True (Stella Crown Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Thine Own Self Be True (Stella Crown Mystery, #3)

To Thine Own Self Be True (Stella Crown Mystery #3)

Stella Crown rarely takes a break from managing her Pennsylvania dairy farm unless it's to take a spin on her Harley, but in the midst of the Christmas season she treats herself to a new tattoo. Halfway through the sitting at Wolf Ink, her tattoo artist and his wife, Mandy, disappear into the back room. Stella, whipped, dozes off and, when she awakes and they've not come b ...more
Published August 30th 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about To Thine Own Self Be True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Thine Own Self Be True

Ivonne Rovira
Feb 14, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only those desperate for a mystery
To Thine Own Self Be True marks the third entry in the Stella Crown mystery series that began with Till the Cows Come Home. Stella, a fiercely independent dairy farmer in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, had really begun to mellow a bit in the second book in the series, Three Can Keep a Secret; she had been so whiny and self-pitying and self-righteous and — well, prickly as a cactus — in the first one that I could barely force myself to read it to the end.

Stella’s not quite as abrasive as she was in
P.J. Coldren
It’s almost Christmas in Pennsylvania, which means lots of cold and snow. Stella Crown is nice and warm, enjoying a visit with Mandy and Wolf Ink. Mandy is regaling them with tales of the tattoo trade while Wolf works on a new tattoo for Stella. She’s getting an ID bracelet with Howie’s name as the focal point. When the session is interrupted, Stella falls asleep. Nobody is around when she wakes up, so she leaves, planning on returning another day.

When the police show up on her doorstep, she kno
Barbara
Aug 04, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am enjoying this series. Stella Crown is an interesting character - a diary farmer (no, not in Wisconsin, but in the eastern U.S.), with a bit of an edge. She has motorcycle and tattoos. I don't have anything against either of those things; however they are aspects I don't think you would normally associate with a dairy farmer.

The author has a very delicate and delft touch too. I'm not sure if these are the best terms to describe the story, but basically Stella is investigating the murders on
Derk
Apr 17, 2011 Derk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not heard of this author, but she seemed prolific so I picked her earliest book I could easily find (I think this is #3 in the Stella Crown series. Not a bad read, although as is common these days the ending was rather ridiculous and the villain's motive contrived and the rapport of the heroine with the police unrealistic, and other plot glitches. Still, if I happen to remember her name, I may in the future try another one.
jimtown
It's easy for me to get lost in Stella Crown's life and forget my own. I have to run to keep behind her at her non-stop pace. The story takes us on a journey through several tattoo parlors and some politics as Stella helps the cops with leads as to what happened to her tattoo artist and who killed his wife.

My theory on who was responsible was incorrect. A good read even though I'm more interested in the farming part of Stella's life rather than the biker part.
George
Dec 26, 2008 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat of a slow moving mystery with the main character dealing with a lot of personal issues along while helping to solve the murder of a friend and find her missing husband and another person who is helping her. Background for the story deals with tattoo artists.
Sharon
Mar 27, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella and her friends investigate the murder of a friend and the kidnapping of her husband. I love this series and am looking forward to many more books by Ms Clemens. I'm rooting for Stella and hoping she finds happiness and not so much sadness in her future.
Kat Chan
Feb 18, 2012 Kat Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book in the series. This one has Nick snowed-in and stuck at Stella Crown's Royalcrest Farms. I enjoyed that although the killer basically admitted he was the killer right off the bat, making the connections as to how every character was related became the interesting puzzle.
Shirley
Apr 29, 2010 Shirley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Still enjoying these books. One more to go in this series--hopefully can finish before we leave on our trip since it is a library book. Only criticism is not sure police generally are so accepting of private citizens running around trying to solve crimes.
Barbara M
Judy Clemens continues to introduce her readers to likeable characters sporting tattoos, riding Harley motorcycles, and ranging from God-fearing to fear inducing! These are good people, easily stereotyped. Some deserve the labels and they are here too.
Meg
Feb 12, 2007 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd of the Stella Crown mysteries. Not as good as her last two - but still tough to put down and a really simple read.
Julie
Jan 04, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say this is the most unusual mystery series. How many mystery series are about a female dairy farmer with tattoos and her tattooed friends? Somehow it works.
Joan  2
Sep 19, 2011 Joan 2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella Crown and her cows, her tattoo friends, her motorcycle club, her Mennonite family....and a great looking land developer. Great story!
Joanne Stokley
Joanne Stokley rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2013
Miki
Miki rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2009
Emh
Emh rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Bev Mcconnell
Bev Mcconnell rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Alayne
Alayne rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2012
Vicki Smith
Vicki Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2011
Elena Santangelo
Elena Santangelo rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Deb Saunders
Deb Saunders rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
L.L. Bartlett
L.L. Bartlett rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2008
Mary Mannion
Mary Mannion rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Grey853
Grey853 rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2008
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2009
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Marci Adams
Marci Adams rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Judy Clemens is the author of LEAVE TOMORROW BEHIND, the newest book in the Anthony and Agatha-nominated Stella Crown mysteries. She also writes the Grim Reaper mysteries, and wrote LOST SONS, which is a stand-alone.

She lives in the beautiful state of Ohio with her family.
More about Judy Clemens...

Stella Crown Mystery (5 books)
  • Till the Cows Come Home (Stella Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Three Can Keep a Secret (Stella Crown Mystery, #2)
  • The Day Will Come (Stella Crown Mystery, #4)
  • Different Paths (Stella Crown Mystery, #5)