Start by marking “A. Lincoln And Me” as Want to Read:
A. Lincoln And Me

A. Lincoln And Me

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Skinny as a beanpole and tall for his age, an awkward young boy learns that Abraham Lincoln was often called "gorilla" and "backward hick" by his peers. Yet along with big hands and big feet, Lincoln had the amazing gift to lead a nation through a troubled time. The poetic story by Louise Borden and magnificent paintings by Caldecott Honor recipient Ted Lewin introduce you ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A. Lincoln And Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A. Lincoln And Me

A young boy feels a surprisingly strong connection to President Lincoln because he's born on Lincoln's birthday. He integrates facts about Lincoln's life into his own character, finding matches between himself and the president that will serve him well in the future. Lessons such as following one's own beliefs, despite what others might think; not listening to cracks about one's personal appearance, despite being overly tall and having big feet - these and other connections serve as an inspirati ...more
Lorena Magallanes
A. Lincoln and Me is a great story that both teaches students about, famous 16th president, Abraham Lincoln and self acceptance. The young boy stands out amongst others his age, he's taller than most, with bigger hands and bigger feet. He gets picked on for his clumsiness and oversized body, but his teacher, Mrs. Giff comes to save the day. Mrs. Giff tells the young boy that his similarities with Abraham Lincoln are not just that of his birthday. In the end the young boys father takes him to Was ...more
Genee121
“A. Lincoln and Me,” written by Louise Borden, illustrated by Ted Lewin is a delightful story about how an awkward young boy discovers how Abraham Lincoln went from being the laughing stock of childhood teasing to being a well-loved, and admired President with a huge heart and a significant ability to lead a country.
In the story, the young boy easily relates himself to Abraham Lincoln, and finds confidence in their shared similarities. I believe that students today can relate all to well with t
Colin
This book of Historical fiction does a fantastic job of blending fact with fiction. The story follows a student in a classroom that is learning about A. Lincoln. The boys life has a lot of familiarity to that of A. Lincolns, persona and physical characteristics are compared. The fiction part of the blend revolves around the student portrayed, the fact revolves around A. Lincoln. This book is filled with information about Abe Lincoln. The story has has facts from Lincolns life growing up, and fac ...more
Dolly
Apr 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
In honor of Presidents' Day and Lincoln's birthday, I wanted to bring home a selection of books about various American presidents. I got a variety of books and tried to find stories that would interest our girls as much as educate them.

I really liked the idea of this book since it was about a boy's reflections on Abraham Lincoln and the things they had in common. The narrative is informative, without being overwhelming and the boy's perspective helped our girls to relate their own lives to this
Emily
This book is a great book to share during President's Day or Abraham Lincoln's birthday. It describes some of the characteristics of President Lincoln, and similarities he has with the boy in the story. This also brings together some facts and some fiction which is great for early learners.
Bethe
A boy whose birthday is the same as the famous president is compared to him, sometimes favorably, other times not. As he learns more about Lincoln's strong character, he sees the same characteristics in himself and strives to be like him, yet also be himself. Add to a lesson on Abraham Lincoln.
Aprils
I liked the illustration of the penny, and also the illustration of the kids looking at the giant statue of Lincoln. I thought that the book had a very heartwarming message.
Camille
Despite the out-of-fashion illustrations, this book is a really good, although very basic, introduction to Abraham Lincoln for school-aged kids and an excellent book to share with kids who might be experiencing some self-esteem issues. I think it really gets across a motivational message, or why I think learning about Abraham Lincoln is essential to children: Despite the fact that he came from a poor background and wasn’t born with the best of looks, Abraham Lincoln succeeded in becoming a great ...more
Hollee Young
Good book about Abraham Lincoln and how a child relates to him. Good for read aloud. Could be used to set up language arts lesson.
Shelli
I enjoyed this short story of a young boy who finds similarities between himself and a very important man in history whom he shares the same day of birth, Abraham Lincoln. It seems like in our society people find heroes on the radio or actors on t.v., instead of in leaders who fought for the betterment of this world. This book is a reminder to children and myself to put that respect and admiration where it is more deserved.
Mackenzie Rodeghier
This is a magnificent book that reminds readers that no one is perfect, but less than perfect people can still achieve great things! In this story, a young boy relates himself fondly to our nation's 16th president, and gains self-confidence through their likeness. This story is informative, in the sense that readers learn some facts about Abe Lincoln. It is also interesting and well-written! 5 stars!
Tara Mensing
This is a wonderful book about a boy who shares Lincoln's birthday in common, but through this commonality finds others to help him find strength in himself to overcome obstacles and conflicts at school and in his day to day life. The book displays positive role models (Lincoln and the boy's teacher) and it is highly relateable to all students.
Katherine
"A. Lincoln and Me" is an interesting book that tells the reader facts about the life of Abraham Lincoln. This story allows students to learn about Lincoln in a fun context. The book gives off a positive message that even though there cannot be another Lincoln, it doesn't mean that we cannot all try to be great people.
Rachel
A well written book that uses real true facts to write a story.Great example to organize facts and present them to engage a reader. The narrator, a boy, talks about the things he shares with the president. Great to help students write nonfiction about historical people.
Brianna Morris
This is a story about a boy who shares a birthday and many other personal characteristics with A. Lincoln. This story could be used in many ways in a classroom. It could be used to start a writing conversation, or could be used to talk about Abraham Lincoln and his life.
Emily Graham
I found this book to be a totally different way to tie in history with elementary children. The story talks about who Abraham Lincoln was without sounding boring and uninteresting and I feel that students can really connect to this and the history in the book.
Melissa Housholder
Book all about a boy who has the same birthday as Lincoln. He is told by teachers that he is a lot like Lincoln in many ways. The whole book is about the similarities between Lincoln and him. Not a bad book, but not the greatest kids book about Lincoln I have read.
Luann
A boy shares his birthday with Abraham Lincoln and talks about other ways he is like Lincoln as well, such as being tall for his age and skinny as a beanpole. A great book for reading aloud in the month of February! The illustrations by Ted Lewin are very nice.
Kristin Lee
This book has an interesting take on history. The little boy has the same birthday as Abe Lincoln. Throughout the book, he mentions historical facts about Abe Lincoln while showing his inspiration.
Katie Lee
This book presents such a cool way to introduce history to students. A young boy compares himself to Abraham Lincoln while giving the reader a brief history of his life. Great book!
Nojood Alsudairi
I wish we have a book like this one in our Arabic library. Writers, this book is about a child comparing himself to Lincoln. This is a great idea for you so do it!
Theresa
a young boy finds that he has many characteristics similar to the great a. lincoln and how he feels inspired by lincolns story
Brandi
Very cute historical book about a very special American president. This book shows children how special each one of them are.
Laci
This book is so cute and has a great theme. To be happy with yourself no matter what, everyone can have role models.
Beth
Would've liked the illustrations to be more timeless but otherwise an interesting picture book.
Melissa Hensley
Great book to teach inference and to "close read" with the class....especially in February.
Abby Clark
Cute story about a boy who learns he has a lot of similarities to the president.
Sarah added it
Aug 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There were already two Louises in my family when I was born: my mother and my grandmother, Nana, who lived with us when I was growing up. So early on, I was given the name Leezie. This is a name that my family still calls me. Years later, my niece was born and also named Louise. Then there were four of us with the same name! Louise is a fine name to have except that people often spell it incorrect ...more
More about Louise Borden...
The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg Greatest Skating Race: A World War II Story from the Netherlands Baseball Is . . . Big Brothers Don't Take Naps