Start by marking “Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries?” as Want to Read:
Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries?

Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries?

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  8 reviews
s/t: Discourses on Godel, Magic Hexagrams, Little Red Riding Hood, and Other Mathematical and Pseudoscientific Topics
Martin Gardner—"one of the most brilliant men and gracious writers I have ever known," wrote Stephen Jay Gould—is the wittiest, most devastating debunker of scientific fraud and chicanery of our time. In this new book Gardner explores startling scientific co
Published June 25th 2004 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries?

Some of the essays in this book are quite interesting; for example, an essay about the possibility of multiple universes, and another about the direction of time. But the vast majority of the essays are boring. They just seem--irrelevant. Perhaps they would be interesting to someone who lived 50 or 100 years ago. Not just one, but two essays about a little-known novel, The Green Archer. An essay about Ernest Hemingway (my least favorite American author) and his lover, Jane Kendall. An entire sec ...more
Apparently no-one is looking out for Martin Gardner's reputation as he gets older: someone should have stopped him from publishing this book. Gardner was for decades a brilliant and incisive thinker, but as happens to us all (or almost all) he has declined in old age. This is a poorly edited, rambling, and largely uninteresting collection of odds and ends about science, philosophy, literature and pseudoscience that should never have seen the light of day. Don't bother.
Dale Houston
nothing at all like i wanted it to be, this book is a collection of essays. i have a hard time getting past this format. I hate "essays" as a form of writing - they feel the need to be clever quickly and make each point as important as the last. But in this particular case, I just don't remember what was written. Nothing is jogged by looking at the cover. Therefore, I have to give this book poor marks. Anyhting this unstriking can't be worthwhile.
A compilation of essays with little or no coherence.
John Devlin
A fun read full of math and physics conjecture delivered by a fellow who can make the subject at least partially understandable.
Martin Gardner is always good to read. Part I in this book on science is one of his best.
Tonjia Atomic
I learned that Universes are, indeed, thicker than blackberries.
Not as captivating as I had hoped.
Richard Mendel
Richard Mendel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Randal Pendleton
Randal Pendleton marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Gary marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Teri marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Trina added it
Feb 14, 2015
Boweavil marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Wilmarie Medina
Wilmarie Medina marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Andrew added it
Nov 07, 2014
Trae Gunning
Trae Gunning marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Ramsis Salama
Ramsis Salama marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Shaun marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Erik marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Merima Smajic
Merima Smajic marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Cilla added it
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Martin Gardner was an American mathematics and science writer specializing in recreational mathematics, but with interests encompassing micromagic, stage magic, literature (especially the writings of Lewis Carroll), philosophy, scientific skepticism, and religion. He wrote the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981, and published over 70 books.
More about Martin Gardner...
Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science The Colossal Book of Mathematics My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation) Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?