Start by marking “Great Essays in Science” as Want to Read:
Great Essays in Science

Great Essays in Science

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Martin Gardner, author of numerous books on science, mathematics, and pseudo-science, has assembled thirty-four extraordinary essays by eminent philosophers, scientists, and writers on the fundamental aspects of modern science.

As Gardner makes clear in his preface to the formerly titled Sacred Beetle and Other Great Essays in Science, his intent is not to teach the reader
Published January 1st 1994 by Prometheus Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Great Essays in Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Essays in Science

Rob
Jul 07, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it
What I liked most about this book was it's variety of essays, some of which I never would have read by themselves. At the same time some of the essays seemed fairly irrelevant. All in all it was an enjoyable read. I especially liked the (completely dated) essay which talked about the certainty of vegetation on Mars, while it doesn't reflect contemporary thought it was interesting to read something which was written with some degree of certainty and which has proved to be far from the truth. The ...more
Bill Yates
Oct 09, 2015 Bill Yates rated it liked it
The title is somewhat misleading. A few of the essays are truly great, and some others are interesting. A few are so unreadable as to be incomprehensible.
Thomas A Wiebe
Dec 08, 2014 Thomas A Wiebe rated it really liked it
This a a superb collection of science essays, in part because the essays are chosen for their broad range, typically beyond just science and touching literature, poetry, culture, religion, philosophy and other of the intellectual arts. Gardner's knowledge across many disciplines informs his choices, including the brilliantly mocking voice of GK Chesterton, who is unlikely to be found in any other collection dedicated to things scientific.

A gift from my Ben and Jenn, Christmas 2013.
Clint
Dec 22, 2010 Clint rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There were essays in here that I found to be a little slow, or uninteresting, but the nice thing is they are only essays. Most I found quite interesting if just for the fact that they were fun to disagree with. Many of the essays are very interesting and really put you (or at least me) in a philosophical state of mind. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in science or philosophy.
Firda
Oct 23, 2014 Firda rated it really liked it
So many great essays indeed (although some are quite obsolete, mind though I was reading the first published edition from 1940s). Although, I think I must admit I often have problems reading essays, oops.
Maciej Chojnacki
Aug 10, 2010 Maciej Chojnacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oczekiwałem jednak czegoś więcej, chociaż jest tam kilka perełek. Całość na solidnym poziomie, na pewno nie rozczaruje.
Yoon Jk
Yoon Jk marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Vladimir
Vladimir rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Ahsan
Ahsan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Hemal
Hemal marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Gerry Cragun
Gerry Cragun rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Typographic Man
Typographic Man marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Sonja Hanekom
Sonja Hanekom marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Çağrı Mert Bakırcı
Çağrı Mert Bakırcı marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Yev Chornenkyy
Yev Chornenkyy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Leonard Odložilík
Leonard Odložilík rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Jenica
Jenica marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Andrew Mcloughlin
Andrew Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Andrey Schiotkin
Andrey Schiotkin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Matthew Larrey
Matthew Larrey rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Vidyadhar
Vidyadhar marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Ohr
Ohr marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Cale
Cale added it
Nov 14, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Yaroslav Holovenko
Yaroslav Holovenko marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Martin Gardner was an American mathematics and science writer specializing in recreational mathematics, but with interests encompassing micromagic, stage magic, literature (especially the writings of Lewis Carroll), philosophy, scientific skepticism, and religion. He wrote the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981, and published over 70 books.
More about Martin Gardner...