Start by marking “V” as Want to Read:
V

V (V #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
TRY TO RESIST

They arrived -- tens of thousands of extraterrestrial beings -- in huge spaceships the size of a modern metropolis. They came from a dying planet. All they wanted, in exchange for their vast knowledge of science and technology, was a small share of the earth's natural resources. Theirs was a mission of peace...and mankind believed them. Until they began to mul
Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published May 28th 1984 by Pinnacle Books (first published September 1982)

To ask other readers questions about V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about V

Sue A.
Jun 12, 2010 Sue A. rated it it was amazing
V by A.C. Crispin is a wonderful tie-in to one of my favourite television shows of all time. Like the miniseries upon which it is based, V follows the lives of several different characters, all of whom are brought together when alien ships suddenly appear in the skies overhead, hovering above major cities all around the world. As the press and governments scramble to maintain peace and order with the alien Visitors, some individuals begin to question the Visitors' real purpose and intentions for ...more
Joy
Jun 12, 2016 Joy rated it liked it
7 -- enjoyable revisit of the 1980s TV miniseries.
Stuart
Apr 11, 2015 Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-in
A well written novelization of the mini series. Though the mini-series feels a bit dated, the book is well worth reading. It was an interesting concept for an alien invasion. Its references to Nazism and the power of propaganda were very strong.
Jess Swann
May 15, 2015 Jess Swann rated it liked it
Quel plaisir de se replonger dans une série que je regardais gamine grâce à cette novelisation ! Ça a beau faire des années que je n'ai pas vu la série originale, je suis tout de suite replongée dans l'ambiance grâce à ce roman. J'ai de nouveau sourit en lisant les personnages de Donovan et Juliet. Deviné la naissance de l'enfant interstellaire avant sa mère ( Diana est quand même top en ce qui concerne les manipulations )... Et j'ai retrouvé le gentil Willie, mon lézard favori. J'ai enfin compr ...more
Rob Damon
Jan 10, 2014 Rob Damon rated it really liked it
Another novelization I loved reading in my teenage years. For fans of the mini series this book stays more or less true to what was on screen. Quite an achievement seeing as there are many characters to deal with.

One thing I thought great with the ending is that the little girl does not suddenly start glowing as if by magic to disarm the ship-bomb, instead she was clever enough to observe Diana entering a code to give more time until destruction so she could get away. So the girl re-enters the c
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
As you can see from the next entry, it was a V week - I even got a reference book on eBay this week I've been looking for since 1985. The books are interesting - the first one is a novelization of both miniseries, while the second has the same timeline, but an entirely new cast as it's set in New York City. The novelization seems like the author got the second miniseries as a script only and had to rush, as it's a shorter section than the adaption of the first and is missing pieces. Still, it ad ...more
Catherine
Feb 22, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing
This is the first of several books about the "Visitors" - lizard-like creatures who came to earth oringinally under the guiseo f helping us but ultimately to use us for food and water. It is a geeky subset of science fiction but I have always loved the books as well as the original TV mini-series and short run TV series. I would love to connect with other V fans out there! Kenneth Johnson recently released a new book entitled "V: the Second Generation" and I am so looking forward to reading it. ...more
Mary
May 13, 2012 Mary rated it did not like it
I never watched the television show but the ads for it made it look interesting. The book is very disappointing. The characters are pretty much flat characters. Trite is the word that comes to mind. The hero is of course flawed with lots of courage and bravado. There is a beautiful evil alien. Plucky heroine. There must be more books in the series that follow this one because the ending really doesn't resolve anything. The aliens are deceptive. At first they seem to be humanoid intelligent frien ...more
Justin Curtis
Aug 28, 2015 Justin Curtis rated it liked it
i would give this five stars based on nostalgia alone, but frankly, the writing is just OK (and somewhat bad in spots). granted the 13 year old in me still loves it and was more than happy to revisit my old pals Donovan and the gang after a 31 year absence (holy shit it's been a while). highest recommendation for fans of the original V mini-series, if for no other reason than the vastly superior ending (even at 13 i thought the way the Final Battle ended was a joke and a total cop-out).
Tamera
Jun 26, 2011 Tamera rated it really liked it
In case the fan wonders, the author had an earlier script of V: The Final Battle, to work with, than what was aired, thus we see different scenes, characters in the second part of the book titled "Four Months Later." This is a great read for any true classic V fan. Crispin knows these characters well and it's especially fun to read the bantering between Donovan and Tyler. A well-written adaptation of the two miniseries.
Angela
Sep 05, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, tv-tie-in
I loved the series (the old one, although I am watching the new one too) - so much, I had to have the novelization of it.

This book follows pretty much right along with the first mini-series. I read it so many times my first copy fell apart, so this copy hasn't been read quite as many times, but still more than twice.
Cristen
Dec 07, 2009 Cristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark, apocalyptic
Scary, suspenseful and well written. This apocalyptic-type book revolves around an alien invasion. It'd call it a hostile takeover if the humans in the book hadn't made it so easy for them. If you like the new TV series then you're really going to like this book.
Chris
Feb 17, 2014 Chris added it
Thought it was a good read. It was exciting and kept me up late for two nights while I finished the book, however reading it brought back memories when technology of the day was mentioned such as the VCR.
Beau Johnston
Feb 05, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was my "go-to" book in high school. As an impressionable teenager, I loved the idea of everyday folk fighting back against an invading army (the fact that the invaders had space ships and laser weapons only added to the appeal).
Steve Parcell
Jan 23, 2015 Steve Parcell rated it liked it
Shelves: classic-horror
I watched the V series in the 80's and was spellbound by it at the age of 16. So I read the book and it was very good. Went down deeper in to my favourite characters and made me love Mike Donovan even more and Julie. Very creepy and much scarier then the rather naff but brill TV series.
Mell
Forgotten I had read this book back in junior high! The re-broadcast of the old miniseries made me remember. Apparenbtly ABC is making a new version as a TV series. I loved this as a kid- it seemed so cool and futuristic.
James
Aug 04, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
I loved this story ever since I was a kid and saw it on T.V. I read the book later and was blown away. An excellent story.
Rita Halpert
Jan 18, 2014 Rita Halpert rated it it was ok
Meh. Entertaining but nothing innovative or exciting. Run-of-the-mill alien invasion story.
Jini
Dec 18, 2007 Jini rated it it was amazing
Another book I loved as a teenager. Ham Tyler was such a hottie. This is one I pull out every couple of years to reread and I'm always finding something new in the paralells to Nazi Germany in it.
Davis Doc
This is a really interesting science fiction fantasy book
Gina
Aug 12, 2007 Gina rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, even though it's kind of cheesy. The book was much better, though. I still take it out and re-read it sometimes.
Conor O'mahony
Jul 31, 2014 Conor O'mahony rated it it was amazing
Remember watching the mini-series some summer holiday when Ronnie M was around. Did not see the recent remake. This was an immensely enjoyable easy read. Want to know what happens next.
Bettie☯
One of the rare cases that the TV series sticks more in the memory than this book does. Loved the concept though. My read date is an approximation.
Rhonda
Nov 26, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Based on one of my favorite mini-series of all time, this is a fantastic and easy to read bit of science fiction.
Jami
Aug 11, 2009 Jami rated it it was ok
I read this in high school. This was a mini series in the 80s and was incredibly popular. It's funny to look back and see what you thought was cool.
Shawn
Mar 21, 2007 Shawn rated it really liked it
A great book. Looking back now, it probably was one of the books that influenced me politically.
Jun 30, 2011 Laura marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
I own volume II in portuguese, so I need to find volume I somewhere. Not very worried about it, though...
Bev
May 04, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Read this back when it first came out...throughly enjoyed both the series and the book.
MrsBlackmore
Sep 13, 2014 MrsBlackmore rated it it was ok
Not at all like the show. I was so disappointed. I didn't enjoy it but I liked the ideas behind it.
Sandro
Mar 27, 2014 Sandro rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
much better than the rewrite. I can understand why this series was such a succes.
  • V: The Second Generation
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • All Good Things...
  • Unification (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Black Hole
  • Descent (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ladyhawke
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • War Games
  • Star Trek 6
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Warriors of Dawn (Ler, #1)
  • Thebes of the Hundred Gates
  • In the Beginning (Babylon 5)
  • Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, #1)
  • Deep Domain
  • Uhura's Song
A.C. Crispin, a best-selling science fiction and fantasy author who wrote tie-in novels for the “Star Wars” franchise and a prequel providing the back story for the popular movie series “Pirates of the Caribbean,” died Sept. 6, 2013 at the Hospice of Charles County in Waldorf. She was 63.

Ann Carol Crispin was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote
More about A.C. Crispin...

V (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • East Coast Crisis (V #2)
  • The Pursuit of Diana
  • The Chicago Conversion
  • The Florida Project (V)
  • Prisoners and Pawns (V)
  • The Alien Swordmaster (V #7)
  • The Crivit Experiment
  • The New England Resistance (V)
  • Death Tide
  • The Texas Run

“Don't you see, Lynn? We have to help . . . or else we won't have learned a thing.” 1 likes