Start by marking “The Uprooted: The Epic Story of the Great Migrations that Made the American People” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Uprooted is a rare book, combining powerful feeling and long-time study to give us the shape and the feel of the immigrant experience rather than just the facts. It elucidates the hopes and the yearnings of the immigrants that propelled them out of their native environments to chance the hazards of the New World. It traces the profound imprint they made upon this world ...more
Paperback, Second Edition (enlarged), 344 pages
Published August 30th 1973 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Uprooted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uprooted

Jason
I decided I wanted to read something about the golden age of immigration. Having been born and raised in Southern California, I am already reasonably intimate with the details of the coyote, through the desert, Lou Dobbs style immigration. Rather, I wanted to learn a bit more about the Ellis Island, changed last names, Emma Lazarus era of immigration.

Much to my surprise, this is not a major area of historical inquiry. If you hunt around Amazon, you'll find a slew of books on the politics of con
Bobbi
This book was a real disappointment. It was the winner of the Pulitzer prize in 1952. My grandparents emigrated from Hungary around the turn of the last century so I was very excited to find a book that chronicled what it was like for the millions who did the same.

The author goes through what the European experience was like prior to the 1850s, with the population expanding and the search for land and food making it very difficult for the peasants, or small farmer, as we would call them. This p
Suzy
Oct 30, 2007 Suzy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buff
Being the granddaughter of an immigrant, I found this book to be moving. Though it deals largely with immigrants coming to America that stayed in large cities, it does let you into the overall immigrant experience. Handlin is often criticized because he won the Pulitzer Prize for history for a book that has some sections that many historians view as “historical fiction” in that he could not provide sources for them. Regardless, this truly is a masterpiece that exposes the plight of immigrants co ...more
Suzan Pinciotti
This book has been great in helping me understand my family's background and adjustments made as immigrants to the US. A must have for genealogists who have family that immigrated in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Miriam Borenstein
Oscar Handlin’s The Uprooted is not a historical treatment of immigration, but a historically informed sociological and psychological narrative based on the experiences of Europeans migrating to America in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It is poetically written—crafted to evoke emotion as much as to inform. Handlin writes that the story of the immigrant is a story of upheaval, tragedy, alienation, and the complete breakdown of traditional and family life from the Old World. The o ...more
Patrick
3 main thing that I took away from this book is the person as an individual is inherently an American practice as a result of the immigrant experience and the replacing the past social order with a reliance on one skills in the present and ones ability to adapt to a dynamic and ever-changing society. In this way, I doubt any other country in the world can take the place of America in its innovative and entrepreneurial spirit and thus finding new industries from the air. Secondly, immigrants are ...more
Joyce
An interesting look at our immigrant ancestors---boy did they have it hard!

I found it fascinating to discover that "for a thousand years, the number of people on the continent had remained constant. . . Then in the 18th Century came a precipitous rise, unprecedented and, as it proved, cataclysmic. For a hundred years growth continued unabated, if anything at an accelerating rate. Between 1750 and 1850 the population of the continent leaped from about one hundred and forty million to about two
Stanley Mozden
A truly pioneering work. The emphasis is on the early 20th Century immigrants. Why they came. From where they came. What did they bring. What did they find. A must read.
Erica
I loved reading into the history of the mass emigrations to the New World that occurred in the 1800s to early 1900s. This book describes the typical lifestyle of those who emigrated, the shift in social and political environments in Europe that caused the mass exodus, the leaving of their homes and family, the travels to the New World, and what sort of environment they encountered once here.
Lauren
Mar 01, 2010 Lauren marked it as to-read
My cousin is a History professor/writer, so I asked him which book better grasps the concept of immigration to the New World and the struggles that came with it. He said this is the best introductory book. 333 pages...I have a feeling that if I actually chewed and swallowed the pages one by one, I'd get through it faster. But we'll see!
George King
A very Interesting book that dispels any myths that the United States welcomed everyone with open arms.
This book complimented my reading the of The Beak of the Finch which explored the evolution of Animal life while this book explored the evolution of this country.
David
An interesting insight on the mass immigrations from the 1850's to the 1920's. While the book includes select geneological information, the main focus lies with the immigrant experience and the rationale for the move from Europe. Very well written.
Pierre Corneille
Okay, so maybe Handlin uses only a handful of facts, but at least his book is interesting and makes a contribution, which is more than can be said about most books about immigration.

Naglerr
A great book about the migration of Europeans to America from the mid 1800's to World War I. Many of their experiences are strangely close to what the current undocumented experience today.
Doug
Impressionistic-sociology is not the best combination. Handlin's heart is in the right place, however.
Lucy
So far... Very interesting read!!
Simone Hauptmann
Simone Hauptmann marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Ephraim Chaney
Ephraim Chaney marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
nap385
nap385 marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Angus Sutherland
Angus Sutherland marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Historical Legacy of The Uprooted 1 7 Sep 06, 2007 01:43PM
  • Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution
  • William Cooper's Town: Power and Persuasion on the Frontier of the Early American Republic
  • The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790
  • Roosevelt: The Soldier of Freedom, 1940-1945
  • The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
  • The Impending Crisis: America Before the Civil War, 1848-1861
  • In Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines
Boston's Immigrants, 1790-1880: A Study in Acculturation, Enlarged Edition Abraham Lincoln and the Union (Library of American Biography Series) Truth in History Al Smith and His America Statue Of Liberty (Wonders of Man Series)