Start by marking “More than a Game” as Want to Read:
More than a Game

More than a Game

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  19 reviews
AS THE GAME REVEALS THE PLAYER, SO DOES THIS BOOK REVEAL THE COACH
Phil Jackson is the most celebrated coach in basketball today, earning that respect by guiding his teams in Chicago and Los Angeles to an astounding eight NBA championships. The key to his success, he thinks is his ability to understand the complexities of the players as well as the intricacies of the game
Published March 1st 2002 by Touchstone (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about More than a Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More than a Game

Paulo Glez Ogando
This book covers up Phil Jackson's first ring with LAL. Jackson and Rosen alternate chapters, though Jackson have written many more pages than Rosen. And the more interesting ones, I'd add.

Rosen's chapters are about his basketball life as player and then as coach, as well as various anecdotes and an approach to the figure of Tex Winter, the man behind the famous 'Triangle' offense which Jackson had developed both in Bulls and Lakers. I felt his chapters like more boring than the Jackson's ones b
Nate
This book completely feels like Rosen's idea, but knowing that no one cares about him tapped his friend Phil to includes a few chapters (and to put a photo of Phil on the cover with his name in HUGE FONT).

Phil's chapters are really interesting, Rosen's are not. Rosen talks about himself a lot and his history as a player and coach, blah blah, who cares? Does anyone want to hear from a mediocre player and a worse coach who only realized years later how he should have handled himself professionally
Thurston Hunger
Give and go between Jackson and his old warhorse buddy. I read this while fighting off a light cold and it was perfect for that, so the rating is admittedly skewed. Atwood's "Payback" is a better written book, but for its purpose this was alright.

I am not a former Bulls' fan or current Lakers' fan and I think Jackson is lucky as he is talented, and maybe even more so. I like them giving props to Tex Winter, and loved the idea that Winter still hoards bread from Jackson's four-star meals. There w
Adam
Eh. Pretty good. I've read a few of Phil's books and this was not my favorite. Charley Rosen writes about half the chapters, and while his stuff is sometimes interesting, I didn't get the book to read about him. So I didn't love the structure, and even Phil's parts were a little bit too into what happened, and not rich enough into the mindsets and the behind-the-scenes juicy stuff about why things really happened.
Harish Venkatesan
Great read for basketball fans-- a meandering journey through the minds of Phil Jackson and Charley Rosen, covering Jackson' s early coaching days, Jackson and Rosen's basketball philosophies, and some interesting stories from the 2000-2001 season (Jackson's first with the Lakers). I prefer Sacred Hoops for an elucidation of PJ's coaching/spiritual philosophy, and The Last Season for a behind-the-scenes look at the Lakers, but this book is a solid combination of the two and worth your time.
Charles Baker
I enjoyed this book. It was a great collaboration between Phil Jackson and Charlie Rosen. It was quite detailed, in some sections, about the particulars of specific games which I didn't expect. As a whole, it was quite enjoyable and informative. Jackson and Rosen skillfully used the game as a metaphor for life. Worth reading or listening to the audio book as I did.
Pouya Dianat
Good read....a little long in certain parts especially for those with a much more basic understanding of the game, but overall it was really interesting. The back and forth between Charley/Phil added a lot of color to the book and worked well to reaffirm why the technical aspects of the triangle offense also can serve as a life philosophy.
Kevin Mason
Jackson focuses more on documenting his famed 'triangle offense' in this book compared to his other efforts. The back and forth format between Jackson and Rosen was less annoying that it appeared to be the first few chapters. The alternating entries provide journalistic insight by Rosen to complement the more direct writing style of Jackson.
Dave Peticolas
A fairly interesting basketball book co-authored (in alternating chapters) by Phil Jackson and Charlie Rosen. Jackson's prose is kind of wooden but they both have some interesting stories from basketball history. The centerpiece is Jackson's account of the Laker's first championship under his coaching.
Mark Victor Young
Some okay insights into PJ's coaching philosophy and some merely adequate explanation of the triangle offence. I was left wanting more of both, but I enjoyed the interplay between the two authors and their descriptions of life in basketball. Only for the serious fan, I would guess.
Man O'neal
I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't a considerable basketball fan. I was probably about 13 when I read this so I don't have a very vivid recollection of it, but I remember being satisfied with it. I do remember that the potrayal of the progession of the NBA seasons is well done.
Rae
Phil Jackson, coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, offers his observations and experiences, including the first championship season he had with the team. I actually abhor the Lakers but I enjoyed reading about the coaching aspect of things.
Kent
Great book for anyone that loves basketball and isn't afraid of a little in depth discussion of strategy. It doesn't go completely X's and O's, but you do get a pretty good dose of it. An enjoyable quick read.
Robert  Baird
Jackson is a very compelling figure in basketball and Rosen's narrative does him justice. A great read for any hoops fan. Published before the Laker years...so you won't find any juicy Kobe smack.
Ian Kloester
A much deeper look at Phil Jackson's life and the influences that shaped his approach to life and basketball. An easy read.
Nick
The second half of the book was great it was just a matter of making it to the second half that was the problem.
Bobby
fun read. looking forward to the next book.
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Deanna Chapman
Deanna Chapman marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Knight: My Story
  • Hang Time: Days And Dreams With Michael Jordan
  • When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball
  • For the Love of the Game : My Story
  • Life on the Run
  • They Call Me Coach
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • Seven Seconds or Less: My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns
  • Magic Johnson: My Life
  • Tip Off: How the 1984 NBA Draft Changed Basketball Forever
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
  • Stretching
  • Heaven Is a Playground
Philip Douglas "Phil" Jackson is a retired American professional basketball coach and former player. Jackson is widely considered one of the greatest coaches in the history of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

His reputation was established as head coach of the Chicago Bulls from 1989 through 1998, during which Chicago won six NBA titles. His next team, the Los Angeles Lakers, won five NBA
More about Phil Jackson...
The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior Journey to the Ring: Behind the Scenes with the 2010 NBA Champion Lakers Basket & Zen - Sacred Hoops