Start by marking “If I Had a Robot (Picture Puffin Books)” as Want to Read:
If I Had a Robot (Picture Puffin Books)

If I Had a Robot (Picture Puffin Books)

If Phil had a robot, it would do everything he didn't want to do -- eat his brussels sprouts, take his bath, and do his homework. No one would ever pick on him again. He'd be king of the world! Dan Yaccarino's simple, lively text and exuberant retro-styled illustrations bring this bold and funny fantasy to life.
Published November 1st 1998 by Puffin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about If I Had a Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Had a Robot

Becky B
Aug 27, 2014 Becky B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Phil has to eat yucky vegetables and starts day-dreaming about having a robot to do all the unpleasant things for him. If he had a robot, it would eat his brussel sprouts. If he had a robot it could do the chores, take baths, and go to school. In fact, if he had a robot he could rule the world! But if he had a robot, it would get to eat the dessert instead of him. So maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have a robot.

This would be a great book for a Psychology class to analyze. It has a wonderful t
Austin G
Feb 11, 2014 Austin G rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Amy Forrester
May 06, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Phil’s not allowed to leave the dinner table until he finishes his vegetables, a food group he detests. If only he had a robot to eat his cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with a flick of a switch. Having a robot would be so helpful! He’d do everything Phil doesn’t want to do, practice his piano lessons, feed the dog, and even kiss Aunt Louise. The robot would help Phil become king of the world! No, the universe! Phil’s imagination is soaring until Mom says, “Whoever eats their vegetables gets ch ...more
Sadie Vore
Sep 06, 2016 Sadie Vore rated it really liked it
I chose this book as my science fiction book. I would read this book to children ages two through age seven or eight. I think this is a fun book that will have different meanings to children of different ages and is why I chose the age range I did. I believe this book would be acceptable for teaching about robots or vegetables maybe. This is a fun book with a great message that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
A young boy is told to eat his veggies which sends him off on a daydream about all the horrible things he would never have to do again - if he only had a robot! But, in the end, he learns the lesson that sometimes you have to do the hard stuff yourself to get the reward.

Okay illustrations.
1996
Brynn Scheibel
Feb 15, 2012 Brynn Scheibel rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is very simple. Yes it is a children's picture book but I think it is a nice simple story for any child to relate to. I'm sure every child has wanted a robot around to do all the things they didn't want to do. I know I sure wished I had a robot to eat my veggies.
Samantha
A little boy named Phil imagines all the tasks he'd have his robot do for him, if he had a robot. When he finds out a sweet treat awaits him if he finishes his vegetables, he changes his mind. PreK-2.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 16, 2012 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
After reading Boy+Bot which is illustrated by Yaccarino, I decided that I needed to check out his robot book. This was a lot of fun and I loved the ending.
Paula

Phil imagines the advantages of having a robot, from feeding it his vegetables to becoming king of the playground.
Molly
I love the design of this book- large lettering, bold, clear illustrations. A great read aloud for younger audiences.
Hajnal
Jan 14, 2009 Hajnal rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Although the story itself didn't "wow" me, I love the bright, simple illustrations.
Lesson: You have to take the bad along with the good.
Kate Mowery
Until his robot rises up against him and murders him...
Paula
Aug 01, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Another cute book that Zack loved. :)
Jenny
Jan 09, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
just ok, i liked the end.
Maximus
Apr 17, 2012 Maximus rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-1st-grade
its kinda dumb
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Ryan Fifer
Ryan Fifer rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Lesley Burnap
Lesley Burnap marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Beth Vredenburg
Beth Vredenburg rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Preksha
Preksha is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2016
Julianna Hagen
Julianna Hagen rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Iris
Iris rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Mollie Fabric
Mollie Fabric marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
WCNS
WCNS added it
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...