Start by marking “A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)

A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman #2)

The second of the mysteries featuring the foul-mouthed Kinky Friedman, ace private eye. It is Thanksgiving at the legendary Lone Star Cafe, a raucus little corner of Texas right in the middle of Manhattan. Larry Barkins is found dead in his dressing room, his head bashed in with his own guitar.
Published August 1st 2000 by Vandam Press, Inc. (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Lone Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Lone Star

Geoffrey Fox
May 02, 2012 Geoffrey Fox rated it liked it
Preposterous murder mystery is solved by an even more preposterous sleuth. Wisecracking, cigar-addicted country-western singer Kinky beds Uptown Judy and Downtown Judy (striving to keep them mutually ignorant of one another's existence), swigs his Jameson whiskeys and Lone Star beers while trying to discover which of his Hank Williams-obsessed acquaintances is murdering country-western musicians in a Greenwich Village club. Some funny lines, the best repartee being between Kinky and his very ...more
Angus McKeogh
Jun 08, 2016 Angus McKeogh rated it really liked it
Great book. Kinky is so irreverent and funny with an entertaining murder mystery thrown in as well. This was his second novel in his mystery "series". And although I've been reading them haphazard and out of order, I still found this one very entertaining.
Dagny
Oct 24, 2012 Dagny rated it it was amazing
Kinky never fails to deliver a bundle of laughs and great characters! This one will appeal especially to lovers of country and western music with its references to Hank Williams and many of the old songs.
Rog Harrison
May 06, 2013 Rog Harrison rated it liked it
I first came across the Kinky Friedman crime books about twenty years ago and I read four or five them so I was pleased to come across three of his books in the library last week. In the intervening years I have heard and enjoyed some of his music too. This is the second time I have read this and it's a good read even if the plot does not quite make sense. Kinky Friedman is a witty writer and of course is a real person as are many of the characters in the book even if the story is pure fiction.
Tim Niland
Jan 22, 2010 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Wisecracking country music singer turned amateur detective Kinky Friedman is back in the saddle after it becomes know that country singers are being murdered at the Lone Star Cafe in New York City. In-between boozing, cracking jokes and incessantly smoking cigars, Friedman tracks the killer and even takes to the stage again to lure him into the open. Friedman's smart-aleck banter keeps the narrative flowing well, and this was an enjoyable story.
It was a quick read, but I enjoy country music and political incorrectness. I'm glad Jerry Jeff Walker and Asleep at the Wheel weren't killed. I'm glad to see there is some appreciation for Texas music. I have respect for the quote about getting decent Mexican food. It's just not the same as it is with Texican flavor.

Kathy
Mar 18, 2016 Kathy rated it did not like it
Shelves: yanks, read-in-2016
It was 11.40. I lit a cigar, took a slug of Jameson's, and the phones rang.
That's about it, really. The narrator/protagonist is a bit of a one-trick pony. Wants to tell me everything that goes in his mouth - every meal, every drink, every cigar. Freud would have something to say about this, I'm sure.
Julie Caroline
Oct 21, 2011 Julie Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-or-else
style très vivant. semble assez bien traduit malgré de gros oublis de traduction qui sonnent bizarre en francais et que seuls les avertis comprennent comme : red herring traduit mot a mot" harreng rouge"
Peter Barr
Jun 16, 2016 Peter Barr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in a series of novels by Kinky Friedman with the main character being the amateur detective Kinky Friedman. It is a modern day, derivative Sherlock Holmes, if Sherlock Holmes were a Jewish former country and western singer living in Manhattan.
Clif Smith
Oct 19, 2009 Clif Smith rated it really liked it
You've never read any mystery like those by the Kinkster. After all, he's been a band leader, a candidate fo governor of Texas, and a totally irreverent critic. He's just hilariously unpredictable. Any of his are worth a look.
Nick Scott
Jul 31, 2009 Nick Scott rated it liked it
A very cleverly written country-western murder mystery noir set in NYC. Plenty of Kinky Friedman witticisms throughout. It is pretty easy to figure out who the killer is though. A short, breezy, enjoyable read.
Dan
Feb 04, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
if you like the weird and the funny Kinky is for you. I am not sure how i found him but he is a guilty please.
Lara
Oct 03, 2012 Lara rated it liked it
I love that its really all a bit ridiculous. He's a great character and far more I retesting because hes not what you'd expect of a private detective or musician
Tom Dye
Nov 10, 2011 Tom Dye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Written in the Kinky Friedman vernacular, this book is a hilarious read, a colorful journey. Fun, splendid, you really ought to read it.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2008
William Beauvais
William Beauvais rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Doug Blankensop
Doug Blankensop rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Sheila Austin
Sheila Austin rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2007
Peninnah
Peninnah rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Fridaokeefe
Fridaokeefe rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2009
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Matthew Davis
Matthew Davis rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2009
Dan Myrmo
Dan Myrmo rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2008
  • The Woman Chaser
  • The Taxi-Dance Hall: A Sociological Study in Commercialized Recreation and City  Life
  • Trinidad Noir
  • Tales of Beatnik Glory
  • The Ostrich Conspiracy (Platypus Police Squad, #2)
  • The Third Pig Detective Agency (The Third Pig Detective Agency, #1)
  • Dreamworld and Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East and West
  • Mexico City Noir
  • Havana Noir
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • Woodstock Nation: A Talk-rock Album
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...

Kinky Friedman (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1)
  • When the Cat's Away (Kinky Friedman, #3)
  • Frequent Flyer (Kinky Friedman, #4)
  • Musical Chairs (Kinky Friedman, #5)
  • Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6)
  • Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7)
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
  • The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)
  • Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10)
  • Blast from the Past (Kinky Friedman, #11)

“Friday night was the night most people thought they were supposed to have fun. Trouble was most people didn't know what fun was or how to have it, so things usually ended up pretty ugly.” 9 likes
“Money may buy you a fine dog, but only love will make it wag it's tail” 0 likes