Start by marking “Spanking Watson (Kinky Friedman, #12)” as Want to Read:
Spanking Watson (Kinky Friedman, #12)

Spanking Watson (Kinky Friedman #12)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  463 ratings  ·  20 reviews
How many lesbians can dance on the head of a pin? Kinky Friedman sure as hell doesn't know, but he's learning exactly how many it takes to send the geriatric plaster tumbling from the ceiling of his downtown New York loft. The culprit is one Winnie Katz, man-hating proprietress of a lesbian dance troupe that thunders daily through his waking dreams. And when Winnie won't e ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Gallery Books (first published September 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Spanking Watson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spanking Watson

What do I think?

I think it's a case of the fryin' pan's on, but nothin's cookin'.

The back has snippets of people comparing Kinky Friedman to other people under the heading "Comparing the Incomparable".

I happen to think it's quite easy to compare him.

I enjoyed the book for what it was - a smartass yet intelligently written piece of fluff, more about dialog than plot. Of course, I'm lumping all of the narrator's asides and conversations with his cat with actual dialog.

I thought it was like reading Douglas Adams, only without the scifi. And with more lesbian and fart joke
Efe Saydam
The ridiculous story is merely a backdrop for the colourful characters, who let the inane events unfold before them, too helpless to change the situation, or perhaps just too drunk to care. But I was generally entertained by Friedman's use of absurd low-comedy, politically incorrect yet well-meaning diatribes, anti-establishment references, subversive leanings, and his pretty hilarious one-liners. ("'You're in America!' I said. 'Speak Spanish.'")

Throw everything into a pot, and this might come o
Aug 07, 2008 Gary rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gary by: Margie Fritz-Birch
Private detective lite, The Kinkster is Kinky Friedman, who in the late 60's was frontman for Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. Last year, he ran for governor of Texas, and lost. He also has a series of PI books (this is one), with tongue in cheek jokes, sarcasm, a death threat, and the humor of someone who doesn't take it all too seriously. Many of his asides and observations about life are made as he talks to his cat, who is always non-plussed.
"I wish those guys could've gotten together and been friends during the flying hours of their madness. Perhaps they did. But like a sleeping cat, the world let them slip away to the stars."

"Jesus speaks regularly to only one group of people. They are the people in mental hospitals. They try to tell us, but we never believe them."
Rog Harrison
This is an odd book because there really isn't a mystery at the start for Kinky to solve so the first part of the book is just about Kinky's relationships with his friends. As ever Kinky Friedman is an amusing writer and so long as you just go with the flow this is an amusing read.
Carole Kauf
Kinky Friedman is crazy! What a wacky book! I found it quite fun, if not totally ridiculous.
Marc Rocket
The story is basic, but the writing style is very entertaining. If you want relaxing fun read this book. It's also great for all of the pop culture references. You will learn something from this book.
I'll read more
From this author
A total POS, which if you're familiar with the Kinkster's style of writing is a compliment :-) This one got me thru a few bus rides for which I remain indebted to Mr. Friedman.
Enjoy his music, his articles in Texas Monthly and his persona but just could not get into this book. Truth be told, I didn't even finish it which is rare for me.
This is a hard book to rate. I love the demented humour but it's not really a book, certainly not a cohesive book. Four * humour; one * writing.
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 09, 2007 Jeff Yrmom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This guy is just nuts. He's got his own thing going on all over the place and you can try to get it. Hes funny and wierd. Good one.
Apr 22, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: Andrew
I don't remember too many specifics of the story, other than it was CRAZY PANTS! And that I enjoyed it.
Nick Gilbert
A Kinky Friedman book a condom - in use it's always good fun, but you throw it away afterwards!
Very, very slow to start. The last quarter of the book had all the action.
great funny wittie writer love his humour and good story lines!!
Jul 24, 2007 Rachel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NOBODY!
This is the absolute worst book I have ever read in my life's memory.
Pretty funny. I like his writing style.
Mirriam Seddiq
I love everything about this man
Love, love, love Kinky Friedman.
Jaiden Sinclair Garrett
Jaiden Sinclair Garrett marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Kurt marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
  • Angel Eyes (Amos Walker, #2)
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Sacrifice (Burke, #6)
  • Detective (Stanley Hastings Mystery, #1)
  • Revenge of the Cootie Girls (Robin Hudson, #3)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Sweet and Low: A Family Story
  • Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7)
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Mud Crab Boogie (Les Norton, #12)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 19: 1987-1988
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2)
  • The Boric Acid Murder (Periodic Table, #5)
  • The Burglar in the Closet (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #2)
  • When Corruption Was King: How I Helped the Mob Rule Chicago, Then Brought the Outfit Down
  • Catalina: A Romance
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

More about Kinky Friedman...

Kinky Friedman (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1)
  • A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)
  • When the Cat's Away (Kinky Friedman, #3)
  • Frequent Flyer (Kinky Friedman, #4)
  • Musical Chairs (Kinky Friedman, #5)
  • Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6)
  • Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7)
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
  • The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)
  • Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10)