Spanking Watson (Kinky Friedman, #12)

Spanking Watson (Kinky Friedman #12)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  20 reviews
How many lesbians can dance on the head of a pin? Kinky Friedman sure as hell doesn't know, but he's learning exactly how many it takes to send the geriatric plaster tumbling from the ceiling of his downtown New York loft. The culprit is one Winnie Katz, man-hating proprietress of a lesbian dance troupe that thunders daily through his waking dreams. And when Winnie won't e...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Gallery Books (first published September 6th 1999)

notgettingenough
What do I think?

I think it's a case of the fryin' pan's on, but nothin's cookin'.

Kaylee
The back has snippets of people comparing Kinky Friedman to other people under the heading "Comparing the Incomparable".

I happen to think it's quite easy to compare him.

I enjoyed the book for what it was - a smartass yet intelligently written piece of fluff, more about dialog than plot. Of course, I'm lumping all of the narrator's asides and conversations with his cat with actual dialog.

Still.

I thought it was like reading Douglas Adams, only without the scifi. And with more lesbian and fart joke...more
Beatnik  Mary
In response to Goodreads' new user policy, I have decided to no longer post reviews on this site. Instead you can read my review on my blog, Cozy Little Book Journal, or follow the link above.
Efe Saydam
The ridiculous story is merely a backdrop for the colourful characters, who let the inane events unfold before them, too helpless to change the situation, or perhaps just too drunk to care. But I was generally entertained by Friedman's use of absurd low-comedy, politically incorrect yet well-meaning diatribes, anti-establishment references, subversive leanings, and his pretty hilarious one-liners. ("'You're in America!' I said. 'Speak Spanish.'")

Throw everything into a pot, and this might come o...more
Gary
Aug 07, 2008 Gary rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gary by: Margie Fritz-Birch
Private detective lite, The Kinkster is Kinky Friedman, who in the late 60's was frontman for Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. Last year, he ran for governor of Texas, and lost. He also has a series of PI books (this is one), with tongue in cheek jokes, sarcasm, a death threat, and the humor of someone who doesn't take it all too seriously. Many of his asides and observations about life are made as he talks to his cat, who is always non-plussed.
Valissa
"I wish those guys could've gotten together and been friends during the flying hours of their madness. Perhaps they did. But like a sleeping cat, the world let them slip away to the stars."

"Jesus speaks regularly to only one group of people. They are the people in mental hospitals. They try to tell us, but we never believe them."
Rog Harrison
This is an odd book because there really isn't a mystery at the start for Kinky to solve so the first part of the book is just about Kinky's relationships with his friends. As ever Kinky Friedman is an amusing writer and so long as you just go with the flow this is an amusing read.
Marc Rocket
The story is basic, but the writing style is very entertaining. If you want relaxing fun read this book. It's also great for all of the pop culture references. You will learn something from this book.
I'll read more
From this author
Richard
A total POS, which if you're familiar with the Kinkster's style of writing is a compliment :-) This one got me thru a few bus rides for which I remain indebted to Mr. Friedman.
Patricia
Enjoy his music, his articles in Texas Monthly and his persona but just could not get into this book. Truth be told, I didn't even finish it which is rare for me.
Barry
This is a hard book to rate. I love the demented humour but it's not really a book, certainly not a cohesive book. Four * humour; one * writing.
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 09, 2007 Jeff Yrmom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This guy is just nuts. He's got his own thing going on all over the place and you can try to get it. Hes funny and wierd. Good one.
Jen
Apr 22, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: Andrew
I don't remember too many specifics of the story, other than it was CRAZY PANTS! And that I enjoyed it.
Nick Gilbert
A Kinky Friedman book a condom - in use it's always good fun, but you throw it away afterwards!
Erin
Very, very slow to start. The last quarter of the book had all the action.
Alang
great funny wittie writer love his humour and good story lines!!
Rachel
Jul 24, 2007 Rachel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NOBODY!
This is the absolute worst book I have ever read in my life's memory.
Kathryn
Pretty funny. I like his writing style.
Mirriam Seddiq
I love everything about this man
Vien
Love, love, love Kinky Friedman.
Liz
Liz added it
Jul 13, 2014
Crystal Yates-devlin
Crystal Yates-devlin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
  • Down in the Zero (Burke, #7)
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • She Shoots to Conquer (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #14)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • Revenge of the Cootie Girls (Robin Hudson, #3)
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7)
  • Killer in the Rain
  • The Bat
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Sweet and Low: A Family Story
  • Deadpool: Evil Deadpool (Deadpool, #10)
  • The Bellini Card (Yashim the Eunuch, #3)
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Dark X-Men
  • The Burglar in the Library (Rhodenbarr, #8)
  • The Nigger of the Narcissus
  • L'ultimo capodanno
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie...more
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned