Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers, #1)

Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,148 ratings  ·  70 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Suzanne Brockmann comes a thrilling tale of romance and suspense, filled with all the surprise, passion, and mystery of a new love.

When Kayla Grey travels from Boston to Montana, the last place she expects to end up is huddled beneath a blanket of dirt in the middle of a fierce snowstorm. And the last person she expects to rescue her...more
Mass Market Paperback, 245 pages
Published September 25th 2007 by Bantam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden

Buggy
This was a great read, although originally published in 1997 and just 245 pages, Brockmann still manages to spin a surprisingly deep adventure story. Our hero here is a true-blue Montana cowboy, that doesn’t stop him however from going all Troubleshooter-ish in the hunt for his imprisoned brother. Throw in a corrupt foreign government, assorted spies, bad guys and a heartbreaking romance, that although doomed from the beginning exudes so much sexual chemistry you just gotta hope, maybe, somehow…...more
Lindsey
it read like a B-rated movie. the thing is: i like B-rated movies.

Kayla was told her fiance had died in a foreign war-torn country. nearly two years later, she hears a rumor this may not be true. so naturally she does what any 20-something single gal would do - she goes out in search of her fiance's older brother, to ask for his help to find the brother he thinks is dead - even though she's never met him.

lost in a storm, she is rescued by a cowboy. he digs her from the sod, where she has buried...more
Wendy
This is another one of SB's that kind of snuck up on me, yet I think it turned into one of my favorites. There is just something about a cowboy.

Kayla Grey is in Montana on a mission. She needs to find the brother of the man that asked her to marry him before he left the country and was killed. Before she can really look for him she is caught in a storm while out walking, and burrows into the sod to keep from freezing.

Cal Bartlett gets a call one night just as a storm is hitting, that a tourist...more
Carrie
3.5* rounded up for goodreads.

Reviewed for Speaking of Audiobooks Column on All About Romance 5/1/12.

Before Suzanne Brockmann achieved fame for her Troubleshooter series, she wrote other series and stand-alone books. Most were on the short side (250 pages or so) and have a lot in common with other category romances. Forbidden is one of these titles published in print in 1997 and released in audio in 2007. I enjoyed the print version when I read it several ye...more
Darcy
This was a very fast read about a sweet story.

Kayla is finally able to face the brother of the man that asked her to marry him, the only catch is that Liam died 2 years ago. While in Montana working up the courage to see Cal, she is out walking and gets stranded by the weather. And who should come to her welcome, but Cal. Neither one knows who the other one is and sparks fly. But then the truth comes out, Liam may not be dead and Kayla needs Cal's help to try to find him.

Cal finds himself stun...more
Erin
Well, I'm happy to say that I'm glad Brockmann moved on from writing category romance. This was a fun read, but it's pretty well steeped in genre convention. The hero and heroine spend an inordinate amount of time just pining for each other, such that even when their lives are in danger, they're still all, "wow, s/he's so sexy!" Plus there was a general lack of suspense, since I knew the book had a sequel, so I knew how things would pan out. Still, it's a fun, quick read with a little more depth...more
Debf
Lost 1/2 a point for the horse!

Mi(Kayla) Grey goes for a walk shortly after she arrives from Boston to Asylum, Montana, and gets caught in a storm. She's rescued by Calvin Bartlett. Kayla has arrived because she has information which leads her to believe that Liam, Cal's 10-years-younger brother, who he basically raised, is still alive. Liam had proposed to Kayla just before he left on a journalistic assignment two years before.

When Cal finds her, there's an ice storm, that becomes snow. She's...more
Robin
Kayla Grey travels to Montana and is caught in a snowstorm, only to be saved by the very man she came to see. Cal Bartlett is the brother of the man who'd wanted to marry her. Now she is here to tell him that his dead brother may not be dead after all. Cal doesn't want to be drawn to the woman his brother loved. Now she is insisting that he might be alive and asking Cal to join in a dangerous search. Cal hopes if he finds his brother, his feelings for Kayla won't tear them apart.

Fast moving stor...more
Kay
This is the first book I finished of 2012 and I'm hoping it doesn't set the tone for the year! The audio book was well rated on my library's website so I downloaded it. When it appeared that the characters were going to sleep together within the first ten minutes, I started to wonder if the high rating was simply because this book was the closest thing to erotica my library stocked! But don't worry, the characters respectfully wait until the last quarter of the book to have sex.

There are more c...more
Marti
Mar 20, 2014 Marti rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
So there's a guy and a girl. The guy goes off to some war-torn country to report on said war, gets himself killed and girl is heartbroken. But is he really dead? When girl finds evidence that he might not be dead and pays guy's brother a visit so he can help, girl and the brother fall madly in love - except they can't b/c that would dishonor guy's memory... Ooh, the drama!!! ;) Lots of slightly unbelieveable action and steamy romance but a fun read overall. :)
Sofie
A run-of-the mill romance, nothing surprising or interesting about this book really. The characters were one-dimensional and their development seemed forced and unreal. Never really understood why Cal took Liam's death so hard, why he denied himself feelings and joy and relationships because of it. Neither did I understand why he changed and suddenly fell for a girl he rescued in the beginning. It was as if all the interesting character development happened BEFORE the book?? Not worth the money,...more
Jeanne
Some of the writing is excellent, especially that depicting the delicate nuances between characters. The story line was fun and the female protagonist is also fun -- a lively, normal, intelligent woman.

BUT, the some of the scene development is a poor second -- especially bloated sex scenes that slow down the story, rather than add the enticing love interest that can be fun. Actually, the author seems to have the ability to get a sex scene right, but then leaves it too wordy and over-explained....more
Lisa Lap
This is my first Suzanne Brockmann novel, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for cowboys, and apparently so is she. ;) This was a quick read that moved a good pace and kept the romantic and sexual tension building at a believable rate. For a relationship that seemed to be forbidden, I still found myself rooting for Cal and Kayla to get together - even while hoping they were successful in rescuing Kayla's presumed dead boyfriend, also known as Cal's younger brother, Liam. The...more
Kasey
A good book. It kept me entertained, but I think with all the stuff going on with finding Liam it should have spanned a larger period of time. While the romance happening that quickly didn't bother me to terribly much with the unsure state of Liam being alive or dead it made it seem quick. Although under the circumstances I think I could have gotten past that. But the kind of information they needed to find someone being held prisoner by a corrupt foreign government I'm sorry, but all the inform...more
T.M. Carper
William "Liam" Bartlett always relied on his older brother to help him. Since their father died, Cal raised him, even paying for his college tution while working on the ranch. Liam is killed in a bus bombing in worn-torn San Salustiano. His body is never recovered.

Kayla, Liam's sort-of fiancee, doesn't believe Liam is dead. When rumors reach her that point to Liam being alive, she tracks down Cal.

Together, they fly to San Salustiano in search of the truth behind Liam's death, all while trying to...more
Kimberly Morris
This wasn't a bad book. It was interesting and kept my attention well enough. The characters aren't bad and the plot was good. I liked the way it all ended.
Skyqueen
A nice, medium to fast-paced love and adventure story where the "good" guy does get the girl, just like you were sooo hoping. We need more good guys.
LaFleurBleue
It's quite ok, but not fantastic. More like a 2.5 for me.
I really liked the beginning of the book, which had a lot of potential with two characters feeling a deep attraction for each other, despite being convinced they should not and their going to a small country plagued by civil war to find the hero's long disappeared brother. Unfortunately the story did not fully deliver;it felt rushed at time, the whole plot behind the search for Liam was not as captivating as SB's later romantic suspense. A...more
Marjorie
Cal Bartlett's half brother was reported killed in a war torn country. Cal has mourned his death for 2 years when all of a sudden Kayla Grey shows up at his ranch saying his brother is alive. Kayla is strongly attracted to Cal but he realizes she is the girl his brother proposed to. However, Kayla tells Cal there is a strong possibility that Liam is alive and together they go to find him. Kayla and Cal fight their attraction for one another because Cal believes he is betraying his brother and Ka...more
Pr Latta
Though this didn't feel particularly dated (first published 15 years ago - 1997), Forbidden did demonstrate how Brockman has grown from a formula romance writer to novelist: I actually skimmed over stereotypical romance scenes to get to "the good stuff" which definitely is not how I usually read a romantic suspense novel! I probably won't read the sequel but will continue to enjoy Brockman's Troubleshooter series.
Mary
An ok short read. Its well written and laid out and the writter doesn't repeat the same thing that happens on both sides (his and hers). She moves the story forward with each persons side to progress on the journey they go on together. Thought the ending came together kinda faster then I expected. I also didn't particularly like how trouble kept finding them over and again. Overall not a bad read.
Meaghan
ms. brockmann cannot write a bad book!
Mamas, please let your babies grow up to be cowboys - so long as they're going to wind up the kind of stereotype Stetson-wearing Montana dreamboat Brockmann waves like a red flag here. Lacks the flesh of some of her longer novels, but the bone structure is still there. And she somehow manages to make 6' 6" sound sexy instead of Frankensteiny.
Elli
one of suzanne's older books, this book doesn't tie into any of the current series. it does include more of the action than some of her other 'loveswept' novels, giving a hint into where she would land in the romance genre. the book was captivating enough that i couldn't put it down even though it was after midnight and i had to get up early.
Michelle
After two years, Cal has accepted that his brother Liam has been killed in a bus explosion in South America. Liam's friend Kayla hasn't accepted it, though, and now she believes she has proof that he is still alive. After convincing Cal to accompany her, they embark on a dangerous mission to uncover the truth--is Liam dead or isn't he?
AmblingBooks
"Traci Svendsgaard's soft, warm voice�captures the passions of these strong-willed lovers who fight their emotions until the inevitable takes place in this steamy romance." � AudioFile

Listen to Forbidden on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Sam
I'm totally in love with Suzanne Brockmann Team Sixteen series but haven't really enjoyed her other series as much. So I picked this book up not expecting much and then ended up reading it in 1 sitting. If you are a Brockmann fan or a romance adventure fan definitely pick it up, you won't be disappointed.
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I had listened to the entire thing while driving, rather than while being distracted by cleaning my room. I missed most of the last of the five CDs due to distraction.

It was an okay story though, and a nice change from the Chronicles of Narnia.
  • Night Shadow (T-FLAC, #14)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Code of Honor (Special Operations, #1)
  • On Thin Ice
  • Carried Away
  • To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
  • Blue Skies
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc...more
More about Suzanne Brockmann...
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)