You'd Better Believe It

You'd Better Believe It (Harpur & Iles #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Nominated for England's Crime Writers' Association Gold Dagger Award in 1986, You'd Better Believe It introduced Detective Chief Superintendent Colin Harpur to reader in England and the United States. Harpur's domain is a small seaport city south of London. It's not unusual for the big-town criminals to consider such a spot as easy prey. At such times a policeman must rely...more
Published July 17th 2008 by Countryman Press

To ask other readers questions about You'd Better Believe It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You'd Better Believe It

Kelly
As Punch often said in the Punch and Judy skits: "Now THAT'S the way to do it!"

Writing police procedurals, that is.

I first read Bill James' "Roses, Roses" --which is actually the tenth book in the Harpur and Iles series --and it instantly made my "ten best" list of mystery novels.

I couldn't wait to go back and read the series from the beginning, but finding a copy of "You'd Better Believe It" in the US proved difficult. Ten years later, I finally got a copy and devoured it.

Knowing how great the...more
Ann Collette
A client recommended this to me. It's a taunt and terse, very British thriller about a cop's relationship with his confidential informants (or "narks," as they're called in the book -- very confusing for an American reader!). Detective Chief Superintendent Colin Harpur has been told by one of his shadiest informants that a big bank robbery is about to go down. But he has to be cautious with his firepower, as he's only recently been the target of an investigation into a shooting that created a lo...more
Johnny
The first in a series I've always heard good things about. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a purist and was more willing to start a series on the third or fourth book after it has hit its stride.

That said, this is a solid read that is as much a police procedural as it is a hard-boiled story. A rough and tough cop story that wastes no time. Quick, with some interesting character traits and moral gray areas that I am sure will continue to grow as the series progresses.

All the necessary potential to...more
Elizabeth
Very complex and twisted. There's not an admirable character in the bunch.
Vrg
Vrg added it
Jul 26, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Allan
Allan added it
May 13, 2014
Desi Kovacs
Desi Kovacs marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Nancy Oakes
Nancy Oakes marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Steve Dennie
Steve Dennie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Gennifer Furst
Gennifer Furst marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Other edition to be linked 1 1 Sep 02, 2011 03:08PM
Bill James (born 1929) is a pseudonym of James Tucker, a Welsh novelist. He also writes under his own name and the pseudonyms David Craig and Judith Jones. He was a reporter with the Daily Mirror and various other newspapers after serving with the RAF He is married, with four children, and lives in South Wales.

The bulk of his output under the Bill James pseudonym is the Harpur and Iles series. Col...more
More about Bill James...
The Lolita Man (Harpur & Iles, #2) Panicking Ralph (Harpur & Iles, #14) Roses, Roses (Harpur & Iles, #10) Halo Parade (Harpur & Iles, #3) Top Banana (Harpur & Iles, #13)