Start by marking “The Promise of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Promise of Happiness

The Promise of Happiness

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
She knew it was time to leave!

Determined to break the stranglehold of a selfish stepmother and stepbrother, Becky left home. She'd begin nursing again; make a home for herself and Pooch and Bertie, the pets she'd brought with her.

Then at dawn on a rainy highway, fate took a hand--fate in the form of Baron Raukema van den Eck.

His mother needed a nurse and Becky filled th
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #2301
Published December 1979 by Harlequin Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of Happiness

Barb in Maryland
One of Betty Neels best. Our mousy little heroine, Becky, is just fabulous! And our Rich Dutch Doctor is so haughty(he's a Baron as well) and so flummoxed to find himself falling for the mouse.
Becky has escaped(literally) from the hellish situation at home, where she is being worked to death by wicked stepmother and verbally abused by wicked step-brother. So there she is, walking down the road, in the pouring rain, with her faithful pets (dog, cat, one each) when she is rescued by our RDD.
He tak
Kay
Mar 03, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 1/2 Stars ~ On the guise that Becky was needed at home to nurse her ill step-mother, Becky was forced to give up her position at a Leeds hospital. Her step-mother didn't really need a nurse but with her son Basil's help, had completely tied Becky to their rural home as the housekeeper and as she wasn't paid, she was very much their slave. She'd have left in the middle of the night, except that Basil had threatened Becky's beloved dog and cat, and so she saved as best she could from the pennies ...more
Claire
Jun 25, 2011 Claire rated it it was amazing
A dog, a cat and a mouse of a girl – that is what the hero saw walking in the rain when he kindly stopped and offered them a ride to the nearest shelter.

This is one of my favorite Betty Neels because the description of the mouse just rankles. Also, because there’s this memorable scene when the heroine had too much brandy to drink and she let her mouth run without filter. She warned him from marrying his snooty girlfriend and counseled him to look for someone nicer who wouldn’t take notice of hi
Kathy
Jan 29, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
One of the things I love to search for when reading Betty Neels romances is where and how exactly the title comes into play. And it almost always is hidden in a bit of dialogue or in some internal musings by the heroine. In The Promise of Happiness, it comes late in the book and well after the "Rich Dutch Doctor", Baron Tiele Raukema van den Eck, falls in love with a plain, skinny little mouse of a girl, Becky Saunders:

‘They were all surprises for me,’ he told her, which explained nothing, and
Kathleen
Betty Neels was born in England in 1909, died in 2001, and beginning in retirement from a nursing career wrote more than 130 books, most of them featuring a rich Dutch doctor and a valiant English girl, usually plain, and often orphaned. Her books are clean (chaste). Stepping into Bettydom feels like stepping back in time, even though her stories are set in contemporary England and Holland.

This book is among my top ten. Or top five! It's a fairy tale. A Cinderella story, with a wicked stepmoth
Leona
Jun 24, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like a "cinderella" story and you are a fan of Betty Neels, then I highly recommend. Young Becky is forced into leaving her position as nurse to go home and take care of her evil stepmother and stepbrother. Of course both are so evil, they force the poor girl into a life of drudgery working for virtually pennies. It takes her years to earn enough money to escape, but she finally does taking her older dog and cat. Our hero - a Doctor, Baron and Dutch (of course, what else) happens upon her ...more
Pamela Shropshire
May 21, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it it was amazing
StMargarets
This story is too cute for words. It's another doctor/nurse combo, but they meet not in a hospital, but when the doctor is desperate to find a nurse to accompany his mother on a trip to Norway and the heroine is desperate to get away from her stepbrother's house. (He was going to kill her cat and dog). Hero takes care of cat and dog. Heroine takes care of dear old mum - and they meet again in Norway where heroine overhears the hero speaking disparagingly of her looks. (He's not attracted to thin ...more
MBR
Aug 30, 2010 MBR rated it liked it
I wanted a romance that would go down smoothly without wreaking havoc on my emotions and I found it with this book. Betty Neels has a flair for writing these types of romances.
My review: http://bit.ly/c3k0kk
Amber
I was surprised by this book. It was a quick read, only 129 pages or so. It was fast paced. A sweet clean romance. Good characters.
Tonya Warner
Absolutely delightful. Becky and Tiele are a well thoughout couple, Very believable and lovable. A very good story.
Nenya
Jul 30, 2015 Nenya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those really old M&B's with the rich European doctor and poor English nurse.

I gave it 2 stars because it was published in 2013! then i realized it was originally published in 1979. That makes sense. For an 80's romance, it was okay enough. (3 stars).

A little boring though, and I skipped around a bit. Nina was just an added prop. She didn't do anything too villainous/vampish other than yell at Becky for being a stupid servant who didn't know enough to keep the dogs away from her. meh.
Patricia schmit
Jul 25, 2016 Patricia schmit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happily, the Promise is Kept

Moves along at a splendid pace, and although the ending is a foregone conclusion, getting to the ending is a happy read.
Helen Manning
Apr 21, 2016 Helen Manning rated it it was amazing
Pam was right. The Hot, Hot Baron indeed. Great story, wonderful characters both main and supporting. A busy plot but well paced. If you like TGB this one is a keeper,
Janice Aitkens
Jan 26, 2016 Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this on the Kindle

I really enjoyed this on yes it same sort as all the Mills & Boon & Especially Betty Neels ones are but this one the story was different so really enjoyed it
Judio
After reading this for the second time, I'm stealing one star back from my previous rating. It's an easy read but nothing much happens in the book.
Maryannflouroy
Maryannflouroy rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Carolm
Carolm rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Hanna Elledge
Hanna Elledge rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Sonal Chaturvedi
Sonal Chaturvedi rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Charito Cal
Charito Cal marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Khushi Nits
Khushi Nits rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
tezuka8
tezuka8 rated it did not like it
May 12, 2016
Kareneliza
Kareneliza rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pertalian Yang Indah (The Marriage Decider)
  • House of Mirrors
  • The Sister Swap
  • Blackmailed by Diamonds, Bound by Marriage (A Mediterranean Marriage #7)
  • Yang Hadir Kemudian / The Husband Assignment
  • Ayah Paro Waktu
  • Mistress for a Month
  • Wife Against Her Will (Harlequin Presents, #2544)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Dylan (The Mighty Quinns, #2)
  • Expecting the Playboy's Heir
  • The Virgin's Seduction
  • The Greek Tycoon's Secret Child
  • His Inherited Bride
  • Besieged
  • The Italian's Wife
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...

“I’m sorry your evening has been spoilt; I hope Juffrouw van Doorn won’t be too upset.’

‘She will be livid,’ he observed with calm. ‘Drink your brandy, it will prevent you catching cold.’ He leant over Bertie for a moment and listened to the dog’s snores. ‘He’ll be all right now.’

Becky sipped her brandy, wrinkling her nose. ‘This tastes very peculiar.’

Not a muscle of the Baron’s face moved. He would hardly have described his best Napoleon brandy as peculiar.”
4 likes
“The storm broke then with a vivid flash of lightning and a great rumble of thunder which drowned every other sound. The Baron turned up the collar of his Burberry. ‘You go down that side, I’ll search this— we’ll find him, Becky. You’re not afraid of the storm?’

She was terrified, but her terror was quite wiped out by anxiety for Bertie. She shook her head and started off down the deserted street, peering through the pelting rain, searching the canal as well as every doorway and alley.”
2 likes