Start by marking “Beyond Perfection” as Want to Read:
Beyond Perfection

Beyond Perfection

Her high-strung mother is determined to marry her off . . .her teenage sister is spinning wildly out of control . . . her twin sister's childhood sweetheart is being lured away from her . . . her overzealous home teacher has stalker tendencies . . . Lizzie Benson's world couldn't be further from perfect, and the last thing she needs is a man to complicate her life. But ...more
Published December 31st 2005 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Perfection

Courtney Stout
Feb 23, 2010 Courtney Stout rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! I'm a Jane Austen fan, and this book was a modern version of P&P. Also written by an LDS author, so there was an mormon twist to it.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Sep 02, 2010 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Who can resist a modern day retelling of Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice! I dare you to resist Will Pemberley! :)
Sheila Cornelius
May 03, 2016 Sheila Cornelius rated it liked it
It was an average book for me to read.
Sharon
Apr 06, 2009 Sharon rated it it was ok
Cute story. Quick read. Nice little afternoon story!
Becka
Oct 09, 2016 Becka rated it really liked it
Not the best Pride & Predjudice knock-off on the market but not the worst! (My favorite is currently Pride and Popularity by Jenni James).
Kathryn
Mar 31, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
this was a refreshing fast read. I'm so glad that my dating days to find my eternal companion are over. Though I still fill for all those that are still searching or have an overbearing mother whose conversation always turns to questions of when they are to be married or have they met anyone? Lizzie has gotten a full ride scholarship to the U of U and although she comes from a tradition of BYU attendees she can't pass up this opportunity. She is very studious and rarely dates until she happens ...more
Heather
Aug 21, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-author
This is a so-so book. It's another attempt at modernizing Pride and Prejudice.
The authors did have fun with the characters. I wish we had more time with them as readers. I would have liked more story time with each of the "Benson" girls. Each of their storylines could have had more depth and quanity added to them. I felt that Will & Lizzy's journey wasn't done yet. They were still learning about each other and themselves, especialy things that they wanted to improve in themselves, when the
Danielle
Jun 07, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Pros: Not COMPLETELY unbelievable. Some really good dialogue. The main character was likable. Sub-plots were mostly relevant and interesting. Her wallowing in misery post-break-up was very believable.
Cons: The Pride and Prejudice plot thing was annoying. I would have stolen the plot subtly or followed it more closely. There were still parts that were plenty unbelievable. The e-mail thing only kind of worked for me. No scene-setting and dialogue in e-mails--it just doesn't seem real. There were w
Harrison
Sep 24, 2014 Harrison rated it liked it
This book is the reason why you should always read the cover blurb before picking the book up. If I'd known that this was a Pride and Prejudice set in Mormonland novel, there's no way I would have never read it. It was very similar to the Mormon Pride & Prejudice movie actually, though having never actually read Pride & Prejudice, it's probably just because they come from the same source material, and modernize it to similar settings. All that said though, I read the book in a day, ...more
Brooke
This book was awkwardly written (I imagine it is difficult to have two authors and still have a seamless book) and I didn't get much in the way of Pride and Prejudice. I almost stopped reading after the first chapter it was so awkward. Sure certain elements of the story were there, the characters were there, but Will was far too nice from the get-go and certain elements were missing... I know it is a play on the original, but I have read books where I was very impressed with their ability to ...more
Jenn
Aug 09, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
Yet another "Pride and Prejudice"-inspired story, :o) Beyond Perfection is an LDS spin on the old classic. At times, I felt like it was just too far out there. And sometimes it felt like the authors were trying too hard to make it like the original, while at other times it seemed too far off. Lizzie's reaction to Will's dissing her at the dance just didn't feel real. Her actions often felt contrived. Yet, I still enjoyed the story overall. I guess I'm just a sucker for Jane Austin spin-offs. :-D
Anita
Jun 22, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a modern day re-telling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice done in a LDS setting. Lizzie Bennet and her twin sister Jana are both attending college, Lizzie at the U and Jana at BYU. Jana has been faithfully waiting for her childhood sweetheart, Austin, to return from his mission. And Lizzie has just met the rich Will Pemberly, the institute president.

This is a really cute modern day spin on Austen's classic. It's a fun enjoyable read, that works really well in a Mormon setting.
Shantal
Mar 15, 2013 Shantal rated it really liked it
Beyond Perfection is perhaps one of the earliest published twists on the Pride and Prejudice tale (heaven knows they're everywhere now:) Centered on a Mormon family with daughters. . . you see where I'm going with this. But, it's a clever, witty retelling and I loved how the authors mirrored modern-day dating with the adventures of the Bennett sisters. I shouldn't say this because I will come across as completely biased, but one of the authors is my sister and I LOVED hearing her "voice" as I ...more
Darla
Mar 26, 2009 Darla rated it it was ok
(Genre:LDS fiction/teen/romance) Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. This is an LDS version of Jane Autsen's "Pride and Prejudice" (which has been one of my favorite books since high school) about a family of five girls whose mother is way too focused on having them get married. I never connected with any of the characters in this retelling and it was just too cheesy for my taste. I never felt any angst during the misunderstandings and conflicts because the story never drew me in enough to ...more
Liz
Jul 22, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
A cute LDS version of Pride & Prejudice. The story has differences so it wasn't completely predictable. I liked the setting at the U and could picture a very cute Will. The relationship grew very sweetly between Liz & Will. And in the end, I was satisfied with Jana's relationship too.
This was not like the LDS movie version, but I think the male lead actor was who I pictured as Will for this story.
Emily
Apr 24, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is an LDS-Fiction, and a romance novel. It is really fun to read and to see what happens next. I never wanted this book to end and was sad to find out there is no sequel. This is book tells about a collage girl and her relationships with her family and friends and what is going through her mind during her collage experience.
Kristyn
Mar 07, 2010 Kristyn rated it really liked it
Funny and cute LDS version of Pride and Prejudice. Love how they portrayed Collin(s) as their overzealous Home Teacher. Finally an LDS romance novel where the characters get to have complete conversations with each other! And some of the characters actually got to know each other before getting engaged too. No depth, but still entertaining.
Pam
Jul 25, 2008 Pam rated it liked it
As far as LDS retellings of Pride and Prejudice go, watch the movie. It was better.

My biggest problem with this book is that periodically the story would be interrupted on an expose on something like about seeing the perfect dress and debating whether or not to purchase it. Every time one of these came up, it pulled me out of the story.
Erin
Sep 03, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
This was a cute story. I forgot that it was based on Pride and Prejudice and when I realized all the parallels I wondered it was just a rehash of the classic. It had some surprises, though, and ended up being a cute story in it's own right. Be aware-it's chock full of LDS lingo and stereotypes which were sometimes a little annoying, but overall it's a fun, quick book to read!
Jenn
Jul 22, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book to read. It is a 'Pride and Prejudice' type story about Mormons. It tells about a girl named Lizzie Benson who falls for the U of U's Institute President Will Pemberly. It was fun to have the story placed in Utah and to read about a lot of places I'm familiar with. Really, a lot of fun and a quick read.
Breanna
Sep 02, 2009 Breanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
Brenda
Jul 05, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it
Fun, lighthearted, easy to relate to read. Cute characters come to life with witty dialog and funny circumstances. Lots of LDS humor throughout and a perfect amount of romance. I smiled the whole book through!
Gail
Apr 07, 2012 Gail rated it liked it
Very fun book. Read this on vacation sitting by a swimming pool. It is a take on Pride and Prejudice and I think they did a good job. Two authors tell a story about sisters that are dating and their mother is trying to marry them off. Sound familiar? Cute romance and easy read.
Jen
Aug 03, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Mormon fluff Pride and Prejudice. Enjoyed this quite a bit. Liz's mom was over-the-top, but never having read the actual P &P book (only seeing the movies), it seemed as outrageous as the original. A fun, interesting read with laugh out loud parts.
Lacey
Aug 06, 2008 Lacey rated it liked it
This was a cute story. I had read it before and rememberd that I really liked it. Easy read, but sometimes LDS fiction is just plain uneblieveable and a little to "perfect" for me. Still, a very cute story.
Megan
Aug 16, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
Another LDS version of Pride & Prejudice.

I liked that the authors thanked their ex-boyfriends for such great "material" in the forward and they did have some funny moments that must have been based on real life because these authors didn't have the originality to think them up.

Rated G.
Heidi
Feb 16, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
I liked it decently. Since it is the storyline of Pride and Prejudice I wasn't surprised at the ending. I found it fun that I knew the references since I now live in the town that it is based, but overall.. decent.
Mallory
May 27, 2008 Mallory rated it really liked it
This was a really cute book. I read it while I was sick in a couple of hours. It's a romance. The girl lives in Utah and her mom really wants to marry her off. She meets this guy and well you'll just have to read it.
Jennifer Griffith
Jul 11, 2008 Jennifer Griffith rated it liked it
Ah, what perfection this book is--perfect escapism. Very enjoyable and just what the doctor ordered for an afternoon on the beach.
Katy
Sep 11, 2008 Katy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: High school- college
Shelves: humor
Vaguely linked to Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. It is not so serious and something to read when you are not in a serious mood. It is perhaps not a literary classic - but a lot of fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • Finding Paradise
  • Previously Engaged
  • Heart of a Hero
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Spare Change
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • Counting Stars
  • Out of Nowhere
  • Code of Honor (Duty Series, #3)
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • Their Paid Girl
  • Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog
  • Molly Mormon

“Sisters share a bond that no one can explain. They understand each other in a way not even girl friends can approach. Secrets, heartbreaks, codes, history, delights, and sheer happiness can be shared in a simple glance between sisters. Many have attempted to decipher the language between sisters, and many have failed. sisters everywhere understand the importance of the bond and respect the relationship in other sisters. There is nothing more prized to a women than the secrets she shares with her sisters.” 21 likes