Start by marking “Prince Bertram the Bad” as Want to Read:
Prince Bertram the Bad

Prince Bertram the Bad

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A wonderful tale of a very bad little Prince who put spiders in soup, pulled up the roses in the royal garden and broke all of his toys. He always frowned. Then he hit a Witch with a stone from his slingshot ... needless to say by the end of the book he was smiling a lot!

It illustrations are reminiscent of Maurice Sendack.

How Prince Bertram stopped being a beast.

To ask other readers questions about Prince Bertram the Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Bertram the Bad

Miriam

Why is Bertram so Bad? Apparently he was just born that way. This isn't an in-depth debate over nature versus nurture, though; it's a quick look at how being lost in the snow while porcupines eat your gingersnaps can make you a better person.
Heather
This was a silly book about a young prince, Bertram, who was born "bad". From the time he was a baby, up to childhood, he took delight in terrorizing people and animals alike. No matter what his parents did - including daily spankings - his behavior did not improve at all. After throwing a stone at a watch flying past on her broom, she transformed him into a small dragon. His parents could no longer allow him to live in the castle for fear that his breath would set fire to the curtains, and the ...more
Karen
This is a book Ellie picks to read over and over. We love Arnold Lobel books. Jacob rated this 3 stars.
Carol Royce Owen
Even though there were six children in my family, there were not a lot of books in our house, but for some reason, I strongly remembered this one. That is why I was so delighted to see it one day at a tag sale. Prince Bertram was born bad. He was never seen with a smile on his face, had to be spanked daily, and still got into as much mischief as any child possibly could. He goes too far one day, however, when he shoots a stone at a passing witch who turns the Prince into a small dragon. Now inst ...more
Melanie
The classic tale of Bertram, a prince with a bad attitude. He treat all with scorn and meanness. One day he hits a witch with a stone from his slingshot. Of course she's not happy about this. She turns Prince Bertam into a dragon.

Bertram quickly learns that a dragon's life is a very lonely life. No one will come anywhere near him. Finally he runs away into the forest. But none of the forest animals will play with him either. Bertram spends the winter in the forest, trying to keep himself warm wi
Bec
I was haunted [insert less extreme word:] by an illustration in my head and I couldn't figure out what book it came from. A Multnomah County children's librarian helped me find this book based on my description of "gothic" and "lots of black." I think there is still a gothic image floating in my head, but I did read this book as a kid. It's a new take(circa 1963)on the fairy tale with a moral. I wish I had taken the message more to heart and been a good girl. Arnold Lobel is an esteemed author ( ...more
Tina
I love the illustrations on this book and I thought it was a wonderful book to show the kids that your acts have consequences (mess with a witch and she'll turn you into a dragon or be nasty to people and when you look pathetic they won't show any compassion for you) but what I think threw me off was the king spanks him everyday (or so it says on the book). With that, I cannot have that book in the library. Parent would not accept it.
Fizzylizzy
I love Arnold Lobel! His illustrations are awesome. I loves his easy to understand, yet totally engaging stories for children. The only reason this book does not get 5 stars is because the dad, or king, spanks Prince Bertram every day it says...and I don't think that's really a good message for young children. But that's only one page of the story. I think that this book is awesome and boys will love it!
Mindex
Another life lesson from a kid's book. I don't want to spoil the plot. But it is an important lesson about the benefits of treating people well. I have always loved this book, I even adopted it at my local library.

I especially loved the page with all the snow. Whoever can manage to draw that many circles by hand has my everlasting respect.
Sam
My grandmother use to read this to my sister and I all the time when we were younger and I still can hear her voice telling the story. The fact that I can still remember the story tells how good it was.
Lily
Arnold lobel is my favorite. I like this book. They story is not as quirky as I would like it to be but its cute. The illustrations are great. I really think the colors he chose and detailing made the book.
Melissa
This book engendered a lively discussion about spanking, and whether anybody ever really deserves it.
Randall
One of my all time favorites when I was a kid. I hope my daughter enjoys it like I did.
Allison
One of my favorites as a child. And now very much out of print.
Alexi
What I would do for a reissue of this book...
Brenda
Brenda added it
Dec 12, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Grandma Castle
Grandma Castle marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jul 16, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)