Start by marking “Prince Bertram the Bad” as Want to Read:
Prince Bertram the Bad

Prince Bertram the Bad

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A wonderful tale of a very bad little Prince who put spiders in soup, pulled up the roses in the royal garden and broke all of his toys. He always frowned. Then he hit a Witch with a stone from his slingshot ... needless to say by the end of the book he was smiling a lot!

It illustrations are reminiscent of Maurice Sendack.

How Prince Bertram stopped being a beast.

To ask other readers questions about Prince Bertram the Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Bertram the Bad

Miriam
Sep 25, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture

Why is Bertram so Bad? Apparently he was just born that way. This isn't an in-depth debate over nature versus nurture, though; it's a quick look at how being lost in the snow while porcupines eat your gingersnaps can make you a better person.
Heather
Mar 21, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
This was a silly book about a young prince, Bertram, who was born "bad". From the time he was a baby, up to childhood, he took delight in terrorizing people and animals alike. No matter what his parents did - including daily spankings - his behavior did not improve at all. After throwing a stone at a watch flying past on her broom, she transformed him into a small dragon. His parents could no longer allow him to live in the castle for fear that his breath would set fire to the curtains, and the ...more
Karen
Feb 24, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
This is a book Ellie picks to read over and over. We love Arnold Lobel books. Jacob rated this 3 stars.
Carol Royce Owen
Feb 08, 2014 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
Even though there were six children in my family, there were not a lot of books in our house, but for some reason, I strongly remembered this one. That is why I was so delighted to see it one day at a tag sale. Prince Bertram was born bad. He was never seen with a smile on his face, had to be spanked daily, and still got into as much mischief as any child possibly could. He goes too far one day, however, when he shoots a stone at a passing witch who turns the Prince into a small dragon. Now inst ...more
Melanie
The classic tale of Bertram, a prince with a bad attitude. He treat all with scorn and meanness. One day he hits a witch with a stone from his slingshot. Of course she's not happy about this. She turns Prince Bertam into a dragon.

Bertram quickly learns that a dragon's life is a very lonely life. No one will come anywhere near him. Finally he runs away into the forest. But none of the forest animals will play with him either. Bertram spends the winter in the forest, trying to keep himself warm wi
Bec
May 13, 2009 Bec rated it really liked it
I was haunted [insert less extreme word:] by an illustration in my head and I couldn't figure out what book it came from. A Multnomah County children's librarian helped me find this book based on my description of "gothic" and "lots of black." I think there is still a gothic image floating in my head, but I did read this book as a kid. It's a new take(circa 1963)on the fairy tale with a moral. I wish I had taken the message more to heart and been a good girl. Arnold Lobel is an esteemed author ( ...more
Kara
Jan 28, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My childhood copy is in pieces but I still read it to my daughters as my mother read it to me.
Tina
Oct 18, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
I love the illustrations on this book and I thought it was a wonderful book to show the kids that your acts have consequences (mess with a witch and she'll turn you into a dragon or be nasty to people and when you look pathetic they won't show any compassion for you) but what I think threw me off was the king spanks him everyday (or so it says on the book). With that, I cannot have that book in the library. Parent would not accept it.
Fizzylizzy
May 14, 2009 Fizzylizzy rated it really liked it
I love Arnold Lobel! His illustrations are awesome. I loves his easy to understand, yet totally engaging stories for children. The only reason this book does not get 5 stars is because the dad, or king, spanks Prince Bertram every day it says...and I don't think that's really a good message for young children. But that's only one page of the story. I think that this book is awesome and boys will love it!
Mindex
Jul 18, 2010 Mindex rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, books-i-own
Another life lesson from a kid's book. I don't want to spoil the plot. But it is an important lesson about the benefits of treating people well. I have always loved this book, I even adopted it at my local library.

I especially loved the page with all the snow. Whoever can manage to draw that many circles by hand has my everlasting respect.
Sam
Nov 09, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
My grandmother use to read this to my sister and I all the time when we were younger and I still can hear her voice telling the story. The fact that I can still remember the story tells how good it was.
Lily
Sep 12, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it
Arnold lobel is my favorite. I like this book. They story is not as quirky as I would like it to be but its cute. The illustrations are great. I really think the colors he chose and detailing made the book.
Melissa
Oct 04, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, max, katie
This book engendered a lively discussion about spanking, and whether anybody ever really deserves it.
Randall
Nov 05, 2013 Randall rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites when I was a kid. I hope my daughter enjoys it like I did.
Allison
Feb 18, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my favorites as a child. And now very much out of print.
Alexi
Jan 03, 2013 Alexi rated it it was amazing
What I would do for a reissue of this book...
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Melissa Piening
Melissa Piening rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Erin Ahn
Erin Ahn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Sidney Stanhope
Sidney Stanhope rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Thea
Thea marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Brie
Brie added it
May 07, 2015
Palomablue
Palomablue rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...