Start by marking “All Our Yesterdays” as Want to Read:
All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  868 ratings  ·  54 reviews
They were the Sheridan men, ruled by passion, betrayed by love, heirs to a legacy of violence and forbidden desire.Gus, Boston's top homicide cop: he knew equally well the backroom politics of City Hall and the private passions of the very rich, a man haunted by the wanton courage and perilous obsessions he inherited from his father... Conn, the patriarch, a lawless cop wh ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Dell (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All Our Yesterdays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Our Yesterdays

Kemper
I read an interview with Robert B. Parker in which he said that he thought All Our Yesterdays was probably his best book, but that it was also one of his worst selling ones. It was certainly among his most ambitious and came just before his Spenser books started a serious decline in quality.

Would RBP have taken on some bigger challenges and not allowed Spenser to grow repetitive and stale if this would have been more successful? He created three new series as well as doing some other stand-alone
Lewis Weinstein
This is really an extraordinary book. I expected a typical non-memorable crime/thriller story, of which I read many. Instead, here is a brilliantly constructed multi-generational exploration of the very interesting lives of some very flawed people. And does Parker ever make me care about these people!

There was something unusual and very powerful about the structure of the story. It reached what seemed to me could have been the conclusion of a shorter novel about half-way through, at a point when
Cathy DuPont
I've read so many RBP books, mostly the Spenser series, and I want and need to read Parker's books faster to get them off my shelf. (The shelf is sinking!)

Chose this one because it wasn't a Spenser and looked pretty interesting. Wish I could say it was.

RBP said he thought it was his best book written but I surely don't agree. The Godwulf Manuscript still resonates with me, the first in the Spenser series.

As I was reading All Our Yesterdays it occurred to me that Parker probably thought he was
Susan
Wow! This book reminds me of a quote I saw on Facebook....."That moment when you finish a book, look around, and realize that everyone else is moving on with their lives......as though you didn't just experience emotional trauma at the hands of a book." Robert B. Parker was such an amazing writer, I'm sorry I didn't find him earlier:) This book stays with you.......
Johnny Williams
WOW-- I Loved it-- This has to be one of Parker's best!!-- He spans several decades - of a family- and associated characters-- in a compelling-rough saga-- of intertwining lives-intrigue--and suspense-- He even manages to throw in a couple of moral lessons for us as well--

Do read it-- especially if you like Robert Parker
Eric_W
Surprise, surprise, a Robert Parker that does not feature Hawk or Spencer and does not even have a private detective. I think this is one of his best yet. Spanning three generations it follows the men of the Sheridan family, greatly flawed, who seek to redeem themselves of an obsession for violence and corruption that becomes a hex. Their lives all become entwined with the Winslows, to the detriment of all.
Conn Sheridan, the patriarch, is a young sniper for the IRA. He is assigned the assassina
Izzy
All Our Yesterdays chronicles three generations of an Irish-American family in Boston. It all starts with Conn, a fighter in the IRA during the Troubles in 1920's Ireland where he falls for a marries American woman named Hadley. Conn's passion and Obsession for Hadley has him crossing the river to Boston where he becomes a crooked cop and finds himself with a family. He has a son named Gus who goes to Korea and becomes a cop when he returns. He goes as far as becoming the Commander of the Homici ...more
Joy Chichester
I've read ALL of Robert B. Parker's books, except for a couple I can't find, since March 18, 2013. "All Our Yesterdays" stands alone as the best of the bunch, totally apart from, and far above, the others in excellence. There is no hint of the Spenser, Hawk, Susan, Jesse, Sunny, Virgil, or Everett characters. We become totally wrapped up in the psychological varieties of Conn, Gus, Chris, Hadley, Grace, and Laura. We sorrow in the predestined travails of Tom, who we continue to see and read abou ...more
Doug
I'm not at all sure what to make of All Our Yesterdays. Only rarely did I get a glimmer of the Robert B. Parker that I've come to know and love. I read somewhere that he considered this one of his better efforts. Perhaps he was trying to be a more "serious" writer. I think he was pretty serious in the niche that he filled so well for so many years - a good story, told with wit, that can be read in an evening and save one from having to stare at the drivel on the tube. I am wondering what I would ...more
JT
Apr 17, 2007 JT rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Police/History
There is nothing better than a good Irish cop story set in Boston. There is corruption, womanizing, some murders, mob boss crap, all mixed together to tell the story about 3 generations of an immigrant Irish family who hold the tradition of law enforcement. Even if this isn't your "cup o' tea" read the book. It is well detailed, reads quickly, and like every really good book, leaves you wanting more even though the story wraps up nicely.

If you got a pair, it means this book is for you!

That is u
Kathy
3 generations of Irish men are intertwined...

Conn - 1920s - IRA soldier/soldier mentality... injured, falls in love with Hadley, a married American volunteer who will have sex with him but will not leave her rich husband for him. She turns him into the British, he escapes to Boston before executed & becomes a cop. He is emotionally cold & cut off, uncaring... he marries one of the gals he got pregnant - who punishes them all with her religious guilt for the rest of their lives... he love
David Ward
All Our Yesterdays, by Robert B. Parker (Delacourte Press 1994)(Fiction - Mystery) is not the typical RBP novel. One glaring difference is that All Our Yesterdays is a stand-alone novel of 401 pages rather that being part of one of the author's several popular series, usually featuring a familiar protagonist/hero/me. I tried and failed to make it through this book in the past. I've twice in the past read the first fifty-or-so pages without engaging, but this time I kept just enough momentum goin ...more
Cornmaven
This Parker book has elements of all of his novels, but it is also very different. Lots of human pathos is examined and dissected, all with an extremely spare and elegant prose. I always have to marvel at how much Parker can say with just a few words. One of my favorite sentences: "The silence explored the room slowly and filled it the way water rises in a bucket." This comes at a pivotal moment in the storyline and a very sad one as well.

It is not an easy read, as the story revolves not only ar
Dan Donovan
not your usual Robert B Parker

Entertaining action filled brutal story, once you understand the style that it is being told in. Almost an oral history. Not sure if I enjoyed it, won't recommend to my friends.
Mary Drayer
I am a lover of his Spencer series, so I was unable to connect with the characters in this NEW thriller. I did enjoy it but, just OK.
Charles
O.K. Now I've read all that Robert B. Parker, has written. I've also read that the Spenser and Stone stories will continue to be written and published. In the last Jesse Stone novel "Night and Day" Jesse's relationship with Sunny Randal has brought her and Spike to Paradise.
All Our Yesterdays is a story that shows Parker's love of Boston and all things Irish not to mention an appearance of his favorite German short hairs. The Story itself was written with a depth of emotion and a story that ha
Lee Tolley
The best Robert Parker book I have read.
Tommie
This was a great book!
The story covers 3 generations of Irish families who moved to Boston in the early 1900's. I really enjoy the author's writing and I will be reading more of his work!
Joy
This was the first Parker book I read that wasn't about Spenser,
Jesse Stone, or Sunny Randall. In fact, I kept moving it to the
bottom of the pile for that reason. It turned out to be the best
of all books on character development--three generations of Sheridan
men who were "ruled by passion, betrayed by love." The sins of the
fathers were really passsed on to the sons, but by the third
generation, the son really breaks the 'stronghold.' It was almost
a story of redemption.
Bruce Snell
This might be the best book Parker wrote in his long career. It would have been better if he had left out the sections about Chris's problems with his love life, but all in all, the rest of the story was good enough to make up for that shortcoming. The story was about 3 generations of Irish Boston cops, and I think the first generation (Con) was good enough that it could have been a book all by itself. The ending was a bit obvious, but it was fun getting there.
LJ
ALL OUR YESTERDAYS - Ex
Parker, Robert B - Standalone

Told across three generations, this book starts in Ireland in the 1920s with Conn Sheridan fighting for a free Ireland until he is betrayed by the woman he loves. Fleeing jail, he finds his way to Boston where he becomes a cynical policeman on the take.

1996 Top Ten Read - Not Spencer - excellent book about the "sins of the father..." Highly recomended
Nancy
This was way different than the other Robert B Parker books, but it was still good - not as good as the Spencer ones though! I almost stopped reading it, but I read some of the reviews here, and decided to read a little more, and then I got into it. It wasn't amazing, but it still kept me wanting to read more (after the first 40 pages).
Kaby
This is not a Spencer novel. It's a story about 2 people in love whose families have been intertwined since their great grandparents. There was a lot I did not like about this book; but it was fascinating to let out all the ghosts in the closet and have the sordid details come to a close.
Jc
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think it is easily Parker's best book. It isn't the Spencer formula, but couldn't have been written by anyone else. This reads as if your sitting listening to a master story teller. All but the ending are plausible and that is was easily forgiven.
Debi
Really, a very good read. Parker writes in the way that I tend to think. He sees the antecedents for current actions in the lives of our grandparents. Because s/he did this, I did that. His timing is impecable, his plot intellectual and emotional and his ending totally unforeseen. Bravo.
nassir
i love this book it is one of my favorite book of all time!!!!!!!it is a great novel and i found the story to be very intriguing!!! i could not put this one down until i found out what happened!!!!!!!1 i highly recommend this book to anyone that likes mysteries !!!!!1
Kent
Not my normal choice, but I wanted to read something by Parker. The story grabbed my attention, or I would have dropped it early on due to language and other explicit content. Without these objections, my rating would be higher for the story telling.
Steve
This is a stand alone, not a Spenser. I guess I really enjoy the writing style of Robert B Parker, no matter the subject or the character. This jumps in time and geography. Quite the convolution. Thoroughly leisure reading at its best.
Will
Conn Sheridan, a wreckless IRA captain has an affair in Ireland with Hadley Winslow, young wife of wealthy blood, and begins multi-generational odyssey between Boston's Irish cops and the Winslow legacy.
Erika
Parker called this book, "his favorite book that no one read." It's an interesting story that follows two families through three generations, starting in Ireland and moving to, where else, Boston.

• Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Poodle Springs
  • The Moment She Was Gone
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • Raveling: A Novel
  • Half Moon Street: Two Short Novels
  • Bye Bye, Baby (Nathan Heller, #15)
  • The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (Sergeant Cribb, #2)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Jade Palace Vendetta (Matsuyama Kaze, #2)
  • Chat (Joe Gunther #18)
  • Vanishing Cornwall: The Spirit and History of Cornwall
  • Robert B. Parker's Damned If You Do (Jesse Stone, #12)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)

“And so forth and so on.” 3 likes