Start by marking “Love And Glory” as Want to Read:
Love And Glory

Love And Glory

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  25 reviews
'A straightforward, unrelenting, shamelessly romantic novel that's about a two-year obsession...It works...[and] love stories that work are almost an extinct breed . Almost.' --Santa Cruz
Published September 1st 1984 by Dell (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Love And Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love And Glory

Jeremy Schubert
Sep 29, 2007 Jeremy Schubert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
A great 'guys version' of a love story. By the man who bought us Spencer for Hire.
Bill
Aug 13, 2007 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the tender-hearted
From the opening paragraph - one of the most expressively written first paragraphs in one of the most haunting love stories in modern literature - to the satisfying ending, Robert B. Parker's one diversion from his usual detective theme embodies all that I admire and relate to in a love story. It is spare in its prose, clear in its acknowledgment of profound differences between the two principle characters, and accurate in describing the terrifying process of self-discovery and honesty that shar ...more
Michelle Mal
My favorite book of all time.
Given to me by a high school boyfriend (who is actually now a professional writer himself.)
Robert B. Parker is more well-known for the Spenser detective novels, this love story is different from his usual stuff.
David
Love and Glory by Robert B. Parker (Eagle Large Print 1983) (Fiction) - yes, this romance novel was in fact written by Robert B. Parker of "Spenser" fame. This is not at all in the Spenser line of novels. This is a stand-alone story and is very much reminiscent of his later tale All Our Yesterdays. I love Parker's style, but not this book. This is a sad, sad tale - not so much the story as the moral.

Here's the book in a nutshell (SPOILERS AHEAD): boy meets girl, they fall in love, he goes off t
Rick
An interesting Parker novel in that it follows one of his main themes - monogamous love (bordering on obsession) but is a stand alone novel outside any of his series.
All his novels touch on this theme (Spenser and his long term relationship with Susan Silverman, Jesse Stone's obsession with his unfaithful wife, Virgil Cole's obsession with the flawed Allie Cole)but in this novel it is the core of the plot. When used in his various series this slightly obsessive approach to love can be endearing
Linda
A love story, written from the guy's perspective, which is a nice change. An easy read, simply but intelligently written, and rather lovely. Recommend it. Apparently the author writes a series of detective novels. Might hunt them out after reading this.
Bruce Snell
Robert B. Parker and his wife have given us their version of a romance in this stand alone novel - 3.5 stars. I like Parker's writing style - his economy of words makes the story move right along, his characters are well enough drawn that I always feel some connection with them, and when he includes any sort of action, it is real enough to fell like I am there. On the other hand, the romance in this story was more of a creepy obsession than true love - of course I have had that problem with ever ...more
Jenn
Brett Wallach
Instead of Spenser's unvarnished machismo, here we get an autobiographical Parker who is vulnerable, sweet, and a nerd to boot. And we get the best prose that he ever wrote, because I am sure that this is the book to which he felt closest. It gets docked a star due to its utter insularity, and because it has too much of a self-help feel to it, not to mention an overly fawning love conquest as things wind down.
Cathy DuPont
Dec 28, 2011 Cathy DuPont rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Lovely, lovely story about love. The book just took my breath way.

Sometimes I feel my mind wandering when reading but not this book. Every sentence says something important about the story. The reviews on the book's cover uses the word 'sparse' and I agree. Very clean, clear and written in a way that annoyed me when I had to put it down. I didn't want to interrupt my reading it from beginning to end.

Been reading the Spenser series from the beginning, The Godwulf Manuscript, and this was written
Diane
Three stars because I LOVE ROBERT B., despite enduring some pretty awful books. I don't think this one would stand on it's own merits unless you do just love him. For me it was a nice way to put a couple of decades of pleasure to rest.
Richard Goodman
I found this as quite inspirational and recommend it to anyone looking for the motivation to make a change in their life.
Joe
Aug 14, 2013 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I've always enjoyed the social commentary in Parker's books and this story was basically a vehicle for him to voice more of his view of the world with an honesty of tacit resistance to social injustice and acceptance of another's decisions as not right or wrong only different from a decision that he would make. The story wasn't as compelling as the philosophical aspects, but Parker's philosophy is what I enjoy.
Michelle Connolly
I thought the storyline was good but very poorly written. It lacked depth and emotion and got really boring throughout the middle. I gave it 2 stars because it somehow managed to keep me interested, though im not sure why. Maybe I was hoping it would improve. I was surprised to see the high rating for this book, but im sorry to say I wouldnt recommend it at all.
Mailmanr5
Wow. I didn't know that Parker wrote a love story. I also didn't know that I'd be reading chick-lit. But I'm glad I did. Enjoyed it immensely. Made me respect Parker as a writer even more. He's not just crime novels.
Jmlc
This is written by Robert B Parker who also writes the Sepenser novels. It's a stand-alone book, not part of a series but it seemed to me to be the story of Spenser and Susan, had they met in college. A quick read.
Kit
Mostly great, with a few mawkish chapters near the end. Most of the novel seems like it ought to be tired cliche but instead comes off like another Cain novel of desperate people - wish it ended as grippingly.
Thomas Roth
A marvelous, enchanting story about unrequited love and self discovery. There is an unmistakeable sense of Parkers writing style in this that makes it most enjoyable.
David
Sounds like Parker is sharing his early days with us. As an introvert and incurable romantic, Parker hit a lot of my emotional notes with this book
April
May 02, 2013 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: dunno
Not a mystery. Given that, the main characters have some Spenser/Susan things going on so it seems familiar anyway.
Gretchen

Wow, was this really Robert B Parker? Very different from his other writing, but just as enjoyable!
Robynn
Tried it, but didn't care for it. 2nd star because the language pulled me in at first, then.....
Marianne
Kind of a quirky book. I wondered how much it was autobiographical.
Anna
Definitely can tell its an old early Parker book.
Katrina Crum
Katrina Crum marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Cuban Death-Lift
  • Quarry's Deal (Quarry, #3)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Hard News (Rune Trilogy, #3)
  • Silent Partner
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
  • Heat
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
  • Mad Dog House
  • Divorce Horse (Walt Longmire #7.1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)