Start by marking “Lost Christiantiy” as Want to Read:
Lost Christiantiy

Lost Christiantiy

Unavailable for several years, Lost Christianity is a profound reexamination of the essence of Christian thought and faith. Philosopher and bestselling author Jacob Needleman has sought out the ancient texts and modern practitioners of essential Christianity, whose message speaks directly to contemporary seekers.
Published August 25th 2003 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Christiantiy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Christiantiy

Jason
This book challenges the reader to re-think almost everything they understand about "lost" Christianity. Needleman does not present another work on Gnosticism, Christian contemplation, esoteric teachings, or hidden gospels; instead he indicates that a change of heart (an almost ontological change, and not merely one in thought and emotion) is necessary for even the most rudimentary Christian teachings to take root and become REAL in a person's lived experience.

Professor Needleman's writing is su
Russell Burnett
Nov 15, 2011 Russell Burnett rated it it was amazing
I will re-read it. Valuable in that the author is not Christian and has no bias. He asks what the practices of early Christians were and how/why they fell off the radar. He tells how three 20th century Christians sought to reconnect with those early methods. There are a number of insights derived from desert fathers and other early monastics I am unfamiliar with, not only John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila. One point is that the soul is a capacity developed through spiritual discipline. W ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, philosophy

Fantastic book. Needleman is a wonderful teacher-as-writer. He poses questions so that they can hang breathlessly in the air, begging investigation. He helps you to think about ancient subjects in new ways, in unexpected ways. His teaching stories are very "Gurdjieff" -- is it a story? Did it really happen?
This book is one to re-read every couple of years.
Karthi Mohan
Apr 13, 2013 Karthi Mohan rated it it was amazing
The writings of an honest seeker. Highly recommended if you are wondering about the purpose of true religion.
Sverre
I bought this book many years ago. I read a dozen or so pages but decided to put it away for another time. Now was the time. I took it out of storage because I have an ongoing interest in Christianity. In the meantime I have read a lot of other books about religions and spirituality. The author, Jacob Needleman, is an esteemed academic specializing in philosophy and spiritual psychology. Obviously, he is a man who deserves to be taken seriously.

I only completed one third of the book therefore my
Patrick Williams
For me, this book was OK but not great.

The book is in two parts. The first part is about his encounter with three different Christians: Father Sylvan, (an Egyptian monk?), Metropolitan Anthony (Eastern Orthodox) and Father Vicent (Roman Catholic).

From Metropolitan Anthony, he learned about "Apetheia" which is Freedom from Emotions (freedom from being controlled by your emotions) but he does not really develop this until the second part of the book in the chapter entitled, "St. Joseph's Abby" (Ch
David Guy
Sep 08, 2015 David Guy rated it liked it
I had thought I would only reread the opening section of this book—Three Christians—because I love the portrait the author draws there of three unusual Christians and their transformative practices, but as I finished that section I continued and reread the whole book. I was still in that mood of disgust with religious dogma that the novels of Marilyn Robinson had inspired, wanted to get back to a Christianity that seemed more sane.

Jacob Needleman is a follower of Gurdjieff who was also a profes
Peter

A philosopher investigates, out of genuine interest, a question of faith that many church goers may never ask....what is genuine Christianity?
He is essentially seeking the contemplative heart of the Christian tradition from an intellectual point of view, and so looks for a hidden tradition, or an esoteric relationship between religion and spirituality, and why the two can appear at once mutually exclusive and yet inseparable.

A book of two halves;
If my memory serves me well, I believe a large por
Mike
Jan 02, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
“Love thy neighbor as yourself,” proclaims Jesus. Easier said than done most of us, believers and non-believers alike, have lamented. And that’s the point of this thought provoking, paradigm shifting discussion of what the author calls intermediate Christianity, the path toward God that navigates between the extremes of blind faith and cerebral theology. “Love thy neighbor as yourself” isn’t a proscription, it’s an end result, requiring the kind of capacity-building that the church, once it beca ...more
Gordon Laatz
An exploration of inner or esoteric Christianity by an academic largerly through anecdote. While it merely hints at the subject and is by no means an academic treatement it is nonetheless an important work in that it points to a reality - perhaps THE reality - of an authentic Christian experience that is largely unknown to the modern world, which often suffers at the hands of a shallow and politicized religious offering.
Fr. River
Lost Christianity by Jacob Needleman is a book that explores what he feels is "lost', and basically concludes that the inner human connection with God and the outer have been deeply wounded and sees that we should connect the two and that one aspect of social justice is not must giving to others but inspiring them to change and move onward as well. It is a good book, but boring, long and drawn out.
Ryan
Aug 09, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Needleman titles his book in a way suggesting that it could go in any number of uninteresting and cliché directions. However, Lost Christianity is a very refreshing look at Christianity and the missing link between “fallen man” and “theosis.” Needleman recovers the lost doctrine of the soul in relation to the Eastern religions.
Peter Jamieson
Finally - a book about what Christianity really IS. A first-rate top-class book, full of wisdom and heart.
Allison Murray
Jun 19, 2007 Allison Murray rated it really liked it
A fresh and honest look at Christianity -- a book that should be read multiple times as a meditation on life.
Stranniki
on the emotionlessness of christianity
Leslie
Aug 14, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Needleman presses into the some of the deepest questions of life Christianity today. As people move through stages of faith, is there any hope of being able to remain within the fold of the "old religion" which is often steeped so deeply in doctrine and dogma that authentic spiritual experience is backgrounded it and in some ways, forgotten? Why are so many people drawn to eastern traditions like Zen and yoga which are rooted in spiritual practice and experience?

Needleman introduces us to three
Jordan Dallas
Jordan Dallas marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Jordan Richards
Jordan Richards marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Aug 21, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Derek Curley
Derek Curley rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
daniel
daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Koba Lomidze
Koba Lomidze marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Jun 15, 2016
Charles Warner
Charles Warner rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Leisa Michelle
Leisa Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Nenad
Nenad rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Reality of Being: The Fourth Way of Gurdjieff
  • Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity
  • Healthy Congregations: A Systems Approach
  • The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution
  • Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta
  • The Gnostic Religion: The Message of the Alien God and the Beginnings of Christianity
  • Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander
  • The Golden Legend: Readings on the Saints, Volume I
  • Lent for Everyone Mark Year B: A Daily Devotional
  • Short Trip to the Edge: Where Earth Meets Heaven—A Pilgrimage
  • God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion to a More Authentic Contemporary Faith
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
Jacob Needleman is Professor of Philosophy at San Francisco State University, former Visiting Professor at Duxx Graduate School of Business Leadership in Monterrey, Mexico, and former Director of the Center for the study of New Religions at The Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California. He was educated in philosophy at Harvard, Yale and the University of Freiburg, Germany. He has also ser ...more
More about Jacob Needleman...