Start by marking “Working Men: Stories” as Want to Read:
Working Men: Stories

Working Men: Stories

Working Men features fourteen stories in as many different voices: of men and women, young and old, blue collar and middle class, salesmen and craftsmen, vets and draft dodgers. They are the voices of Native Americans, New England Yankees, southern gentlewomen, by turns serious and comic, gay and straight, playful and sad. Masterfully spun and compellingly crafted, these s ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Picador (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Working Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Men

Man Hunt by David R.  GrossMisery by Stephen KingThe Horse Whisperer by Nicholas EvansA River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman MacleanUndaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
Rocky Mountains
127 books — 83 voters
Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareLolita by Vladimir NabokovBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Illicit Love
396 books — 322 voters

More lists with this book...

Davis Aujourd'hui
Oct 07, 2009 Davis Aujourd'hui rated it really liked it
If you value the diversity of human experience, this is a good book for you. Granted, it is about the lives of men. Even so, women will appreciate this book too.

It is a compendium of short stories about men from all walks of life. As a gay man, I appreciated the fact that one of the stories involved a man who came to discover that aspect of his sexuality. I also appreciated that since I am the author of a spiritually and gay-themed book.

This book will be a novel change from Michael Dorris' flesh
Brian Lane
Nov 10, 2007 Brian Lane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Short story readers/Dorris fans
The subtle poignancy of Michael Dorris' stories comes on immediately - as soon as you get the heartbreak or the heartwarm he slips in on you. The stories are easy to read, yet the language is not simplistic. It's not a style that I could read all the time, yet I really like it when I'm ready for it. Despite the controversy surrounding the author, I am sorry he is gone. For this book, I recommend the way I finished reading it - take your time and savor the stories in little gulps.
Maurean
May 02, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
As I said, I've enjoyed Dorris' writing before, so I was expecting good things from these shorts, and was not the least bit disappointed. I love Dorris' writing style; Nothing sensational or shocking; he writes of every day people in every day situations, and his tales provide a sort of consolidation of experiences that the reader can relate to.

I enjoyed each of these fourteen tales, but I think my favorites were "The Benchmark", "Anything", and "Oui".
Sheila
Jun 22, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wonderful stories; quick read. Some of his writing will stick with me: A man about his children - "They're content, but for their guilt over me since their mother died. I'm the loose board in their floor." I've been going through Louise Erdrich's novels, so thought I should explore Dorris also - no regrets.
Melanie Ullrich
Jan 31, 2014 Melanie Ullrich rated it liked it
There were some VERY good short stories throughout this book. It took me a while to get through it simply because it is a book of short stories. I found the consistent theme of relationship problems at the beginning of the book to be depressing, but as you get deeper into the stories near the end, they are really wonderful to read!
Patrick
Jan 04, 2016 Patrick rated it it was ok
It gets off to a good start... Then clunk clunk clunk- Dated stories of idiosyncratic - in the odd/annoying, not intriguing, way - characters in stories that read like a brainstorm from a Montana high school creative writing class brainstorm. Barely finished.
Melynda
Jul 27, 2012 Melynda rated it it was amazing
Time to read again. Read it in Literature class back in 1998. Now I'm going to read for myself. One fav author.
Aug 04, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well written; lyrical in parts. I just couldn't get behind most of the characters. I really enjoyed the two stories about the Native Americans. He knows what he's talking about in that area.
Kateri
Jun 27, 2012 Kateri rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-box-8
Beautiful stories. "If I managed to lift my hand from the rise and fall of his breath, where would I find to set it down?" I haven't read this in 15 years, but that line has never left me. Keep.
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Oct 13, 2009 Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
One of my go-to comfort reads. I love everything about it, even the cover. And I bought it on an outdoor sales rack in Venice Beach for $1, which is both a triumph and a tragedy. RIP Michael.
Neil B
Neil B rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Lynnette Smith
Lynnette Smith rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2012
Jason King
Jason King rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Dave Trembley
Dave Trembley rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Martha
Martha rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Atysmee
Atysmee rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Khareen
Khareen rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Celeste
Celeste rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
kt
kt rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Scott Mcintosh
Scott Mcintosh rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2012
Kelley
Kelley rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Myfanwy
Myfanwy rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2007
Sabra
Sabra rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2008
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Jennifer Griffin
Jennifer Griffin rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
  • Great American Short Stories
  • Alone With You
  • White People
  • You Are Free
  • Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers: Developing Change-Driving People and Organizations
  • Mr. Ives' Christmas
  • The Emerald Light in the Air: Stories
  • Under God
  • The Ink Truck
  • Without: Poems
  • Eloise's Guide to Life
  • Ladies and Gentlemen
Michael Dorris was a novelist, short story writer, nonfiction writer, and author of books for children

The first member of his family to attend college, Dorris graduated from Georgetown with honors in English and received his graduate degree in anthropology from Yale. Dorris worked as a professor of English and anthropology at Dartmouth College.

Dorris was part-Native American through the lineage o
More about Michael Dorris...