Start by marking “Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1896-1901” as Want to Read:
Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1896-1901

Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1896-1901

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Lucy Maud Montgomery, (always called "Maud" by family and friends) and publicly known as L. M. Montgomery, (1874-1942) was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables (1908). In 1893, following the completion of her grade school education in Cavendish, she attended Prince of Wales College in Charlottetown. Completing a two year ...more
Published March 14th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories

Gundula
Feb 19, 2015 Gundula rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: L.M. Montgomery fans (but with a very major caveat)
Please note that the two star rating is not meant to be a comment on L.M. Montgomery's wonderful short stories (for the most part, they deserve a four or five star rating), but on the user-unfriendly way in which Dodo Press has presented/published them. When I first became aware of the Dodo Press collection of Montgomery short stories, I was excited, because from the title, it appeared as though the stories would be arranged chronologically. However, while the stories contained in the collection ...more
Mandi Ellsworth
Lucy Maud was a romantical sap. If you didn't get that impression from her full-length novels, you'll get it from these. Each is delightful. They make me smile. Her attention to building scene and character are legendary. Each separate character becomes a friend, even when it's so short. And she's witty, beautifully so! Her short stories are quick to read and each draws you in from the start. They're also on librivox, if you'd like to listen to them instead. Either way, they are so worth your ti ...more
Timothy Stone
In this collection of short stories by L. M. Montgomery, chronicling her published stories during the years 1896-1901, she displays the God-given gift for writing that would later maker her world-famous when writing of a certain spunky redheaded girl. But that is a few years in the future. At the point where she started her career, the stories are decidedly more adult, if you will.

I say this not to suggest that her work is “adult” in the sickening way we define the term in contemporary times wh
Maria
L.M. Montgomery is a genius. Probably many people have said that, but I mean it. I've been absorbing all her short stories over the past four days, and though I like the 'him-her' ones best, they're all fantastic.

In the later ones there's hints of Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Avonlea, and even an entire chapter from Anne of Green Gables, but I don't mind. And wouldn't it be funny if that 'short story' is what prompted all of Anne?

The stories are from 1899 to 1928, and there are certain thr
Bluerose's  Heart
I'll plan to finish this book in December, when I'm looking for short and sugar sweet stories.
Lynne
Written before the phenominally successful Anne of Green Gables (1908) these stories are very much a young author learning her craft. Plot themes are mostly star-crossed lovers finding each other, people unexpectedly finding long-lost relatives or discovering those they didn't know about, or poor or troubled people finding an end to their worries. Occasionally they descend into a maukish sentimentality, but there's still the hint of her wonderful descriptive prose and brilliant wit so evident in ...more
Breanna
I'm an old woman and a sap. These are adorable, quick reads. My favorite author, for sure.
Allison
Typical LMM, sweet little short stories set on PEI.
And since this is the first thing I've read on my kindle, here is a little review of kindle reading:
Love it! Best Christmas gift ever (thanks Ash & Mom!)
The pros: you can carry a bunch of books around on one little small device (good for me since I like to read more than one thing at a time); the kindle returns to the same spot in each book where it was when you exited the book (good for me because I always lose bookmarks); the dictionary!
Therese
I don't usually care for short story collections, but because I loved The Anne of Green Gables series of books, I wanted to read more by LM Montgomery. They are charming little stories, and if I had children or was a schoolteacher, these are the things I would want them to learn. Of course they can make me think as well. Now as I have read further, I realized that some of the stores are not just for young children but would be appropriate for teenagers as well although most of them these days wo ...more
Jenn
Adorable, felt like stories you would gossip about, or watch on a TV show. Really great collection. A few in particular were spectacular.
Carrie
I really enjoyed reading these short stories by L.M. Montgomery. Life has enough sorrow and seriousness, so I really appreciate the fact that 99% of Montgomery's stories have happy endings. Lots of sweet love stories and romances rekindled. It's certainly not "serious reading", but she's a good author with a great knack for description and memorable characters. The stories are short, so if you only have a few minutes to read, you can easily get through one or two stories before going back to wor ...more
Trine
Having these short stories on your e-reader means that whenever you are somewhere and need to pass some time of unknown length - such as a city-bus ride, you always have wonderful entertainment at hand. I prefere this short story collection because you get to follow L.M.M.'s writing development through all sorts of different topics. There are tales of achivement, matrimonial tales, tales by the shore, holiday tales and tales over the miles, even a murder story and a ghost story! All in all a gre ...more
Mady
Short, short stories, short enough to read a few at lunch time. And entertaining in order to distract me from work worries. Also naive and a bit predictable at times.
Fang Mcgee
Quaint character sketches that contain kernels of more expansive narratives.
Stacy
I've always loved Anne of Green Gables (and the rest of the series) and was happily surprised to see a collection of short stories for the Kindle.

These are all quaint, sweet, feel-good stories. You forget the innocence and simplicity of these old stories. It's nice to have a book you could listen to and not worry about your kids hearing profanity or sex. Not that they would be interested, of course, but it is a nice change.
Erin Price
When read together, Montgomery's stories reveal a saccharine sameness in style and subject matter that I found to be far less interesting than her long form pieces, especially the Anne and Emily series. A few amusing stories, and if I pretend I'm a woman eagerly awaiting the next story in a magazine in 1900 I'm much better pleased, but on the whole I think you can skip this collection.
Annajune
Jan 07, 2014 Annajune marked it as to-read
Recommended by Petra
Monica
That's 3 1/2 stars. I didn't like these so well just because I thought they eould have something to do with Avonlea and the didn't really. At least nothing to do with Anne.
Melissa
At first I was a little unsure about these stories but after a few I had a hard time putting them down. Just delightful...I needed something like this to read ;)
Trudy Pomerantz
I think it might be time to take a break from L M Montgomery books and short stories. I do enjoy reading them but I have had enough of the love stories.
Jaylene
Short, sweet little stories. This was great to read during a very busy time in my life - I must read the rest of these collections!
Tori
Delicious little short stories, much the same in style and theme but still delightful!
Cynthia
Mar 10, 2013 Cynthia added it
Shelves: juvenile
Just not the type of book that I enjoy reading.
JoAnn
Little uplifts one like a L.M. Montgomery story.
Lavendersbluegreen
Lavendersbluegreen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
  • A Man Called Outlaw
  • The Half-Brothers
  • Language: The Social Mirror
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card
  • Newlyweds of Convenience
  • A Vocation and a Voice: Stories
  • The Angel Of Terror
  • High Wide and Lonesome (88890)
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Stories For Parents, Children And Grandchildren   Volume 1
  • Waiting on a Train: The Embattled Future of Passenger Rail Service--A Year Spent Riding across America
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Finding Faith (New Heights Series, #3)
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Best Russian Short Stories
  • A Light on the Veranda
  • The Magic World
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)

“While the others chatted over their parcels Jean wrote her letter, and Jean could write delightful letters. She had a decided talent in that respect, and her correspondents all declared her letters to be things of beauty and joy forever. She” 1 likes