Start by marking “Karla: A Pact with the Devil” as Want to Read:
Karla: A Pact with the Devil

Karla: A Pact with the Devil

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"People want me in max so my life will be hard but it really isn't. There are absolutely no responsibilities here. Everything is provided. We can spend the day sleeping, sun-tanning or doing whatever we want all day every day."
--Karla Homolka in a letter to author Stephen Williams

"Well, they say 'Never say never' and they're right," Karla wrote in her startling first lette...more
Published May 9th 2004 by Seal Books (first published February 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Karla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karla

Erin
A meandering mess of a book - Williams, who wrote the decent INVISIBLE DARKNESS tries to cash in on the public (well, the Canadian public) fascination with the Homolka/Bernardo case (I first became aware of it when I found DEADLY INNOCENCE, what I have found to be the best book on the subject in a bookstore in Nova Scotia). Williams began a correspondence with Homolka while she was still in prison and alternates between condemning her and condemning the Canadian justice system for their unfair t...more
Lisa
I'm not really liking this one so far. I am more interested in how this person (if you want to call her a person) managed to convince a lot of people that she was "abused" and was forced to do horrific acts by her equally SICK husband. I think she was/is more disgusting that he is. I wanted to know more about her and how her mind works, not hear the author get up on a personal political soapbox. blah. I also read Invisible Darkness and was not too impressed with that either. Stephen Williams is...more
Katherine
When I started reading this, I would have given it 4 1/2 stars. It sucked me in right away, and had this crazy observant perspective that actually gave me (some) empathy for Karla. It explored the massive mistakes made by law enforcement during the case, and the serious flaws in Canada's justice system. It did shed an informative light on the role of the Canadian penal institutions, though, as being a place of rehabilitation, not punishment.
Where this book lost so many points with me was about h...more
Lauren
I found reading this book to be somewhat of a frustrating exercise. I felt it was painting Karla as another one of Paul's victims when I believe that she was far more involved in the heinous crimes that the two of them perpetrated.
Kristen Robinson
Worst true crime book I've ever read. And I love true crime!!
If you want a good book about this story, read Lethal Marriage by Nick Pron
Em
Boring.
Williams' writing is irritating and self-absorbed.
Louise
"Well, they say never say never and they're right," Karla wrote in her startling first letter to Stephen Williams. "Never in a million years did I think I would ever write a letter to someone from the media, let alone you who has condemned me so harshly." Thus began one of the most controversial correspondences in Canadian history.

Karla picks up where Williams's first book on the case, 'Invisible Darkness', left her, painting her nails in her cell in solitary confinement in the gothic tower of K...more
Stephanie
Ok, So I started this book and out of the gate it seemed very insightful, full of great time line points and feedback on the important people that helped create the greatest mis-step ever made in Canadian legal history. Karla lawyer is brilliant and had huge foresight which is more than I can say for so many others who were thrown together at that time.
At some point in the book I started feeling like the author was speaking just to hear himself speak. I was skipping pages because he became so r...more
Erika
Aug 08, 2011 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erika by: Mary Cahill
Chilling, definitely left me feeling disturbed, but nonetheless a good study of Karla Homolka.
Robyn
Interesting but should have been about half as long. Was too repetitive.
M.L. Roos
Female predators are out there
Carla
Good book. Scarey person.
Amy
Jul 26, 2011 Amy added it
Pretty good book.
Beverley
Beverley is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Marlowe Sr.
Marlowe Sr. marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Audrey Alarie
Audrey Alarie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sara Ita
Sara Ita marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Ana Elisa
Ana Elisa marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A direct descendant of Horace Greeley who said "Go West, young man, go West" (whereupon Greeley went East and founded "The New York Tribune" for which Karl Marx became a stringer,)

Stephen Williams began his writing career in his early teens after noting the hypnotic effect the lyrics from Bob Dylan's first album had on women and reading "Les Sous sond fait" by John Paul Satre.

First published at 1...more
More about Stephen Williams...
Invisible Darkness