Numeralia

Numeralia

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This book is not just another counting book.
Published January 1st 2007 by Fondo de Cultura Economica USA

To ask other readers questions about Numeralia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Numeralia

Tim
Interesting book and discussion that came up in class. This book is a counting book but as we discussed it in class, this may not be the best example of a counting book. We were a little confused because on some pages the number is not represented the way we would represent the number. As our professor said in class, this would be a great book for discussion and help our kids stretch their thinking about what each page is trying to tell us.
Robin
Not your average counting book. Lujan's poem is brought to life by Isol's illustrations. Isol's creations at times reflect the number represented (the ducklings in the shape of a two, the three created by the crescent of the moon intersecting with the crescent of a tree branch) or show the number in a different way - the 8 of the hourglass. Her palette is muted, earthy tones which also gives a different feel. I especially love the last two page spread that looks like notebook paper with the numb...more
Samantha
An extremely creative counting book that covers numbers 1-10. Each number is represented in an imaginative way such as "0 for the way an egg stands." The entry for number 10 binds all the preceding numbers together in one daydream making for a neat and tidy ending.

Pen, colored pencil and digital illustrations use an earth-tone palette and resemble the work of a child creator in the most whimsical way.

Recommended for PreK-2.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Another one that might be a bit "lost in translation". Not sure if it adds anything to the world of counting books, but the illustrations of Brazilian artist Isol are very creative.
Maria Parisi
Love the illustration, my kids found it funny although my 3 year old found some parts hard to understand, like the 3 musketeers being mirrored which makes them 6.
Erin
This counting book uses completely random and odd things to count. That combination is usually one I enjoy. Not this time.
Jodie
Unique poetry book about each number representing something. For example, the number 0 is the shape of an egg.
Briony
A little strange. You have to use your imagination for this one.
Edward Sullivan
Surreal and quite appealing.
Barbara
Although this is a counting book, starting with 0 and moving all the way to 10, it's much more than simply that. Readers are encouraged to regard the world anew with each number and each illustration. This is accomplished in simple but enchanting ways; for instance, readers see the Three Musketeers and their reflections to represent the number six. The illustrations, created with ballpoint pen, colored pencil, and Photoshop, are intended to prompt some thinking on the part of readers.
Jacqui
Aug 13, 2008 Jacqui rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: primary grade teachers
I like this book because it is not like the "ypical" counting book we would encounter here in the US. Some of the numbers have a corresponding illustration for the text while others, such as for the number 9 in which the illustration is a balloon floating, do not. I think children will enjoy figuring out the connection to the number in the text. The illustrations in this book are able to stand alone.
Ellen
I'm intrigued by this unusual counting book that illustrates the number represented on the page in unusual ways. I think this book will stretch the minds of younger children by asking them why the illustration was placed next to each number. Pairing this book with a more traditional number book would also initiate authentic discussion.
Trisha
Aug 14, 2008 Trisha added it
I love the creativity in this book, it allows for open dialogue about numbers, shapes and art. This would be good for students K-5 and could be used for different purposes in different grades.
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Gundula
Gundula marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Yukari
Yukari added it
Jun 11, 2014
Moniqie Darville
Moniqie Darville marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Also known as Jorge Elías Luján.
More about Jorge Luján...
Stephen and the Beetle Doggy Slippers Colors! ¡Colores! Rooster/Gallo Sky Blue Accident/Accidente celeste